PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-08-2022, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale

Back a year ago, this thread by Marterair dealing with Carnival cruise liners caught my attention:

Carnival cruise ships

he is a prolific designer and recolors many models of planes, trains and ships and made them available here in the download section and also on his Google drive.

He asked me to do a beta build of his Carnival pride which I accepted. This is the subject of this build.

here is a set of pic of the actual ship.
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-carnival-pride-overall.jpg

Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-rear-view.jpg

Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-upper-open_decks_2.jpg

As a side note, this is the first paper model of a ship that I have built. I love all sort of transportation vehicles, but paper boats have not been my thing.

However, I have 4 radio control scale boats about 4ft long each.
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-dsc_1259.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-dsc_1357.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-dsc_1487.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_5267.jpg

I may consider enlarging this Pride model and make it to an RC model out of foam boards in a large scale similar to the other RC boats I have ( but that is a dream more than reality ).

Building info soon.

Isaac

Last edited by Isaac; 07-08-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2022, 09:21 AM

Exclamation Model info

Here are a few screen shots of the 3D design I am using as reference. The designer so far has no instructions. I needed to use these as a reference to place the parts in correct locations for the sub assemblies.

The model is relatively simple and uncomplicated and is mostly flat sides and top. It build like a layer cake. Bottom hull first and then add the sections above.

Here are the pics of the design.
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-1061-.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-1062-.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-1063-.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-1064-.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-1065-.jpg

Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-screenshot-1066-.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-screenshot-1067-.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-screenshot-1068-.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-screenshot-1069-.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-screenshot-1070-.jpg

Isaac
Old 07-08-2022, 09:30 AM

Exclamation Printing pages

I realized quickly that printing the model on the usual 160 gsm card will be too flimsy and will become wavy during the build. I happened to have top quality 210 gsm A4 format paper I got from Japan that should do the job. This is a strong recommendation to anyone wishing to build these ships.

Initial print had some of the parts cropped because they were outside the limits. However, I got a new set of some of the pages and reprinted them ( they barely fit; I asked the designer to consider placing the parts on common areas of US Letter and A4 formats so others will not have this situation.

Again, there are no instructions and since this is my first ship building in paper, most of the build time was spent figuring out where the parts go and how to assemble them.

here are some of the printed pages.

Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7559.jpg

Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7560.jpg

Isaac
Old 07-08-2022, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Isaac,

This is a departure from your Soviet and Swedish jets. It's a very interesting subject for modelling.

I don't have any experience with ships. Interesting to see that at 1/600 you need heavier card stock.

I'm looking forward to your beta test thread.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 07-08-2022, 05:57 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
Isaac,

This is a departure from your Soviet and Swedish jets. It's a very interesting subject for modelling.

I don't have any experience with ships. Interesting to see that at 1/600 you need heavier card stock.

I'm looking forward to your beta test thread.

Gary

Gary

Yes, this is a departure from airplanes. So now I built one boat, and in the past two tanks and two birds in paper as well as a few trinkets of structures. My horizons are widening.

I don't think I can build one of those super detailed ships though. That is something that requires lots of patience and experience.

I do enjoy helping designers in getting their models improved by having me help them ( only if they want to and are nice to work with ).

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2022, 07:59 PM

Exclamation Exhaust funnel and upper structure

I decided to start with the easy parts first since those are basic and self explanatory.

here is the "winged" funnel typical of all the Carnival ships
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-cruise-funnel.jpg

and the parts to make it
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7561.jpg

the small base. All the edges are glued without any added tabs. That is why you need heavy card so the edges can glue to each other with ease.
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7562.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7564.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7566.jpg

base is ready
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7567.jpg

here is the sub assembly
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7569.jpg

here are the funnel wings. I added small pieces of wood coffee stirrer to add some shape to the wings.
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7570.jpg

here is the funnel. Notice the small round intake has a mismatch in diameter. Either the face plate is too big, or the tube behind is to small. This is a minor item easy to fix.
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7571.jpg

ready to assemble
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7572.jpgCarnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7573.jpg

the assembly is ready
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7577.jpg

Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7579.jpg

comment: The white areas are delineating the parts to be glued on top of them. My suggestion to the designer is to overpaint a bit of the inside in case of a mismatch. I aligned the front edge, but the back was a tiny bit too short.

Also, add small card to the inner edges to help in the location of the parts.
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-mismatch.jpg

Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7583.jpg
Carnival Pride-beta build 1-600 scale-img_7584.jpg

Isaac
Old 07-09-2022, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Making sure the model can be printed on both A4 and Letter should be a priority for any designer, as half the world uses one or the other. It drives me nuts when I get an otherwise good kit and then find it has to either be downscaled or I have to print multiples of the same page to make the parts fit in the margins.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
You're off to a great start. It would be nice to see a R/C version if you decide to do that.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 07-09-2022, 07:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
Making sure the model can be printed on both A4 and Letter should be a priority for any designer, as half the world uses one or the other. It drives me nuts when I get an otherwise good kit and then find it has to either be downscaled or I have to print multiples of the same page to make the parts fit in the margins.
I conveyed that to the designer.

In all cases the placement of all the parts should fit within the common area of the A4 and the US letter size.

Isaac
Old 07-09-2022, 07:13 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
You're off to a great start. It would be nice to see a R/C version if you decide to do that.

Gary

I have so many projects that I need to live another 100 years.

Will see, but I did think about making an RC boat out of the paper models similar to the guy out there that is building large RC versions of Yoav's jets

Isaac
Google Adsense