PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-27-2023, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Very impressive amount of work going on there, please keep it up.

Doug
Old 02-01-2023, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
CL-52 update

Hi All;

It took about six attempts to redraw the mid deck house extension, until it finally works. The first photo shows the problem of the structure in the area of the after stack and crane area. It became necessary to do the sponsons beside the stack base as separate pieces. There seems no way to get that area as a single piece. The second drawing shows the sponsons in place, but not quite satisfactory. The third, shows the mock up and the prototype end to end so the difference is visible. The camera distorts the image if they are side by side, making one appear larger than the other. This way you can see that they are both the same size. Photo four shows the structure which works, sitting in place though not glued down. That is because there wasn't much point in attaching the detail items until the fit was correct. Five shows the assembly from below, to show the stiffener inside. It keeps the bottom of the unit in shape. The last picture shows the unit as one piece, folded but not glued. The final drawing, with all the detail parts, set to the side of it. This version gives the impression that it will be satisfactory. That's the optimist speaking.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
USS Juneau CL-52-1-29-23-2r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-1-31-23-2r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-1-31-23-3r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-2-1-23-1r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-2-1-23-2r.jpg  

USS Juneau CL-52-2-1-23-3r.jpg  
Old 02-16-2023, 03:33 PM

CL-52 update

Hi All;
I've hung on to the windows 7 system, because it has "windows paint," which is simple and works fine. Later versions slowly did away with paint versions until windows 11, which seems to have done away with it completely. Windows 7 is now unsupported and creates problems. Anyways, it works for now. It has taken some maneuvering to get back here, yet work has been going on. Photo one shows CL-52 as it is this afternoon. I went on to the forward superstructure, which fits much better. The drawings are being corrected as it goes. In photo two you can see that the fit is much better. The mockup is present to show the difference. Four r shows the parts for the bridge sides, along with some W/T doors and a vertical ladder. These will be attached shortly. Six r shows the difference in color consistency. The last picture shows the redesign of the back of the center deck house. The fit is much better, but I'm still not happy about it. Work around that component will continue on the rest of the ship, until the redraw is more accurate.

For some bizarre reason, I can post, but can't post pictures. It tells me that I'm not logged in. If I can post this update, why can't I upload pictures? Some help would be appreciated.

Regards, rjccjr
Old 02-16-2023, 03:50 PM

CL-52 update

Hi All;
Well, that seems to work
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
USS Juneau CL-52-2-16-23-2r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-2-16-23-4r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-2-16-23-6r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-2-16-23-7r.jpg  
Old 02-18-2023, 11:52 AM

CL-52 update

Hi All;

Seems as though the sign in is now working. Got the problem with Windows 7 resolved. Had trouble with the second picture in the last message. So, here's another try. Eureka! It loaded.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
USS Juneau CL-52-2-16-23-2r.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2023, 12:10 PM

CL-52 update

Hi All;

Frustration, you better believe it. It looks like my printer program has become corrupted. For some reason when I go to print a corrected page and click print, a window sends me immediately to fax. The diagnostic shows the printer as working fine, and the fax also. The strange thing is that printing from anything except the CL-52 folder is Ok. Trouble is that using "save as" to shift the file to some other medium changes the scale and is useless for the folder. Ok, just uninstall the bad program and reinstall. Nope. Windows 7 is now unsupported and I haven't to date found a satisfactory way around that, yet. Start over and put everything in microsoft paint? No, not when the prototype is so far along, scale change again. Yup frustrating. Looks like it will be a while. Never anticipated that this thread would include a war against the cyber world.

The build is still going on with cut and modify pages that are already printed. Just can't print the corrections, or do anything about unprinted pages. Actually there are quite a few available printed pages and progress can still be made, until such time as the ....(insert vulgar expletive of your own choice)... program can be fixed. So here are a couple of pages showing what the prototype looks like at the moment. The first two photos show work progress on the forward deck house. These are set in place because the details work is still in progress, but the fit is good. The last two show the rear deck house. The fit is better, not quite there, but better. The gap forward is closed and the sponsons are more accurate. The color is a bit off, because of the printer problem and I had to use an earlier print.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
USS Juneau CL-52-3-1-23-1r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-3-1-23-3r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-3-2-23-3r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-3-2-23-4r.jpg  
Old 03-12-2023, 09:33 AM

CL-52 update

Hi All;

After three weeks of utter frustration, my daughter(bless her) solved the printer problem in about five minutes. Kinda makes one feel old. Work had been going on during this period. These interludes are offered to point out the fact that a life goes on during a multi- year task such this and it shows some of the very human difficulties which routinely occur behind the scenes.

Here's what CL-52 looks like at the moment. Assemblies are set in place, but not glued since detail additions are still being made, now that I can print the parts. In any case it is evident that the parts fit is much better than on the mock up. The first photo shows the general configuration at this point. The second shows the bridge area. It is pretty much what it should be, but some adjustments are still needed. You can see the portholes sticking out under the bridge house, but they are there to locate the structure and will now be edited out. The doors and fire hoses are more prominent now. The last shows the forward section of the mid deck house area including the foundation for the deck crane. There are a myriad of small parts to be added and it's about time to make a printed check list of all of them to keep track of progress.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
USS Juneau CL-52-3-11-23-1r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-3-11-23-2r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-3-11-23-6r.jpg  
Old 03-12-2023, 11:04 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Glad to read your daughter solved your printer problem. The work in the photos looks good. Progress = The wisdom of the parent with the technical skills of the offspring.

Last edited by Michael Mash; 03-12-2023 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Rephrase comment
Old 03-25-2023, 01:42 PM

CL-52 update

Hi All;

Progress on the mid aft section is moving along. Picture 4r shows that the fit is almost correct, but those indentations for the wing turret area are throwing the whole assembly off at the base. Picture 8r is another shot of the same section. The general shape is correct, but the bottom needs tweaking. Moving along to the bridge area, the lower section is satisfactory, the pilot house not so much. The picture shows the old version sitting in place. A revised drawing is done, but not yet assembled. Been fiddling with the splinter shields and have decided that they are too clumsy and hard to position properly. So rather than using a fold over double wall, it will be a single wall, using dry brushed medium gray water color on the reverse side. It is much easier to fold and put in place. Picture 1r shows the shield in place. The mock up model is in the foreground so you can see the differences in color and fit. The prototype looks much better. The pilot house is just set in, until the new one is finished. Picture 6r shows the new tubs. The splinter shields for the small guns will be done the same way.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
USS Juneau CL-52-3-25-23-1r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-3-25-23-4r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-3-25-23-6r.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-3-25-23-8r.jpg  
Old 04-02-2023, 12:31 PM

CL-52 update

Hi All;
Construction is advancing steadily. The revision of the pilot house area is improved and detailed, as shown in the first two photos. The last two show the difference in construction over a wider area. There are still some problems with the after section of the middle deck house, but they are now a matter of adjustment as opposed to a total redraw. There is an immense number of very small detail items coming up in the near future. The page count of the drawings is now in the middle thirties.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
USS Juneau CL-52-4-1-23-1.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-4-1-23-2.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-4-1-23-3.jpg   USS Juneau CL-52-4-1-23-5.jpg  
Google Adsense