PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-19-2022, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
RN AFFONDATORE - 1865 - 1:200 Heinkel Models

Hello to all paper modelers !!

Just having completed the USS Brooklyn with all the last things as anchors, last standing rigging, pedestal and transparent case (I'll post in next days the last view of such model), I have started a paper model of Italian ironclad ram RN AFFONDATORE, as his appearance in 1865. (RN stays for Regia Nave = Royal Ship)

The model design and kit is produced by Heinkel Models (from great designer Fernando Perez Yuste) that is one of the most prolific designer about military ships in the period from half to end of 1800...

I have already built, in the past, one of his wonderful models, the american cruiser USS Maine.

But, let's come back to the Affondatore ....

This ship was one of the first ironclad rams owned by the Italian Regia Marina (Italian Kingdom Navy) since the creation of Italian Kingdom on 1861. Foreseeing with the war against Austria, the Italian Navy bought from foreign dockyards, some warships (as for example the RN Regina Maria Pia class ships, built mainly in french dockyards) and for the RN Affondatore, the ship building was appointed to the the English firm "Millwall Iron Work and Shipbulding Company".

The ship, launched on November 1865, entered in the service of Italian Navy on 6th June 1866, just few days before the unlucky (for the Italian Navy) Battle of Lissa, fought on 20th July 1866 against the Austrian Navy.

After this battle, the RN Affondatore had anyway a long life, and after two great rebuilding stages on 1870 and 1894, terminated her life on 11 October 1907.

And now let's talk a bit of this kit.

Like many other Heinkel Models kits, also this one can be downloaded after
paying at the website and the modeler must to print it by himself of paper/cardboard (depending from the thickness and dimension of each piece)

The quality of the drawing and the textures is very high and, checking the dimensions of the pieces, also the dimension of the models are correct respect to the original one (in 1:200 scale)

As first task I have glued all the false keel and ribs on a 1,5 mm thick cardboard and the same for the upper deck. I have used for such purpose a spray glue from 3M that is simple to apply and is strong enough to maintain the shapes also during the cutting.

Differently from the original indication, that sees the false keel and upper bridge designed into 2 pieces to glue each other, I have glued the shapes on a single cardboard paper, long enough to assure the length of the whole keel.

In this way I have reinforced the skeleton of the ship, assuring a straight line from bow to stern.

Once glued all the skeleton of the hull, I have attached the upper bridge (this was quite a flush-deck ship) and I have started to cover the lower part of the hull.
Nothing to say.. the dimension of each single stripe is OK in dimension and the covering of the hull went very straight and fast, with very few gaps between two stripes.

After, it was the time of the upper part of the hull... In this case it was a little bit difficult to shape the bow and stern parts.. I had to shape and curve the paper using fingers and some metallic cylinder rods, in order to gain the most correct shape possible.

It was not completely perfect, but is not visible and the general look seems good.

After this, it was the time for the shields along the upper hull, that I decided to lower as the ship is going for a battle...

Anyway.. next steps will be the building of a stand for the hull and start to build all the superstructure of the bridge (command post, conning towers, funnels, etc...)

Hoping that you like the pics attached, I wish you all the best for an happy paper-modeling !

ciao
Jp

Old 04-19-2022, 09:49 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello JP: The old “Ram” vessels are very interesting. I have dreamed of building one of them someday, so this will be fun to watch.

Also looking forward to your final photos of U.S.S. Brooklyn!

Mike
Old 04-19-2022, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A great beginning to another classic of the age of iron and steam.

Don
Old 04-27-2022, 10:24 AM

Hello to all paper modelers !!!

in the last weeks, during the Easter days and a country national holiday, I have spent some of the weekends time in bringing forward the model of Affondatore.

I have so built many of the superstructures (flying bridge, command post, funnels and some other particulars) trying to complete as much as possible of the main bridge.

Now I have to finish the standing rigging for the funnels, build the capstans and the rudders wheels, plus some other elements like cranes for boats, binnacle post and, later, the two masts, all the boats and the propeller.

In the meantime, I hope you'll like some other pics of the actual status of the model.

I wish you to enjoy as much as possible with your paper models !!

ciao

Jp

Old 04-27-2022, 10:58 AM
POTM Moderator

Hello JP: Superb work.
And a good chance for me to learn about a new ship.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2022, 03:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Impressive. excellent work!
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/heinkel-models
Old 05-15-2022, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
Fantastic work on this beautifull ship.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:54 AM

Hello to all paper modelers

here attached are some pics of the Affondatore with mounted the two revolving turrets carrying each a single 254 mm gun.

Unfortunately I had very few spare time to step further on this model... I hope to have a bit more time, next weeks, to complete all the last components o the main bridge and build the masts..

later will follow the cranes for the boats and at last, the propeller (ah... and a transparent case too...)

This is a very nice model to build, and I'm find it very attractive and interesting in my collection...

I hope you'll like the pics.

Ciao and happy paper modeling
Jp

Old 05-23-2022, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Superb model and building with great speed.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:46 PM
POTM Moderator

Nice work JP.
Google Adsense