PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-01-2022, 01:25 AM

Location: I live in Leiderdorp, a little village near Leiden, The Netherlands
Total Downloaded: 2.38 GB
The Darling of the Dutch

One of the most classic liners has finally arrived to be built as a model. The “Darling of the Dutch” or The Queen of the Oceans. No bells are ringing? Well, she was and is also known as the SS Nieuw Amsterdam.
In cooperation with World of Paperships and JSC, Scaldis has succeeded in producing this very detailed model in 1/250 scale and this beauty is almost 1 meter long. Different building methods are possible: Black hull untill 1956 and the grey hull that she carried untill her scrapping. And of course as a waterline model or full hull. Obtainable are a number of laser sets for the hull as well as for many small parts and luckily for the davids as well. Of course you can try to cut out the davids yourself, but keep in mind: there are 20 lifeboats, which count for 40 davids and each david consists of 4 parts…Part of the laser sets will be available later this year.

Also included are 2 New York harbour tugs which were designed by World of Paperships. (great job, Jeroen).

The Nieuw Amsterdam, together with the harbour tugs and lasersets, can be ordered via Scaldis at Terneuzen: [email protected]
The total price will be around EUR150. Unfortunately there are no pictures yet of a completed model, but the enclosed pictures of the pre-production model in progress give you a hint of how your model is going to look like.

The SS Nieuw Amsterdam was a Dutch passenger liner, built in Rotterdam for the Holland America Line (HAL).This Nieuw Amsterdam, the second of the four HAL ships with this name, is considered by many to be the most beautiful Dutch passenger ship of its time. Christened by*Queen Wilhelmina*in April 1937,*the Nieuw Amsterdam*was, at 36,982 tonnes, the largest liner ever constructed in the Netherlands up to that time. Proudly she was dubbed the Dutch "Ship of Peace" since there were no provisions for possible war use incorporated in her design.
The*Nieuw Amsterdam*was the Netherlands' "ship of state", just as the*Normandie*was France's, the*Queen Mary*was Britain's and*United States*was the United States'. Numerous Dutch artists fell for the honour of creating some part of the ship. The ship’s interior was decorated in art deco style. The interior was further characterized by light, elegance and a modern look. The New Amsterdam was therefore nicknamed the ship of tomorrow. She made her maiden voyage to New York on May 10, 1938.
Although she was neither as large or as fast as many of her contemporaries, she became a popular liner for the Dutch and was showered with superlatives. Her sleek outline and two slim funnels provided a striking profile and she soon garnered a loyal following amid stiff competition from great liners such as Cunard's*Queen Mary*and the superb*Normandie*of the French Line. Despite the fierce competition,*the Nieuw Amsterdam*proved to be one of the few money-making liners of the day.

She had only made 17 voyages when World War II broke out and, while in New York, was immediately laid up in Hoboken, New Jersey. She would remain there for more than a year. When the Netherlands was occupied by Hitler's armies in 1940, the New Amsterdam was used by the British government as a troop transport ship under supervison of Cunard but with her original crew. Her maiden voyage as a troopship was made in January 1941, from Australia to Bombay and she was accompanied by other famous passenger liners that carried troops, such as the Queen Mary, Mauretania, Aquitania, Empress of Britain and Andes.

When it was all over the ship had steamed a total of 530,452 nautical miles and carried 378,361 troops. This was a splendid achievement and was not surpassed by any other ship except the Cunard Queens. To put it in perspective; these ships were more than double the size of the Nieuw Amsterdam and had spend most of their trooping time on the North Atlantic shuttle service, while the Nieuw Amsterdam had been sailing all over the world quite often on long voyages instead of short crossings. In 1946 the New Amsterdam was returned to the HAL.
Eighteen months were needed to make her a passenger liner again. On October 29, 1947, the Nieuw Amsterdam re-entered civil service. During the first years after the war she was very successfull on the transatlantic route.Together with the 'Willem Ruys' of the 'Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd' and the 'Oranje', the 'Nieuw Amsterdam' was regarded as part of the Big Three of Dutch passenger navigation.

Minor refurbishments in the 1950s ensured that she continued to be popular despite the arrival of newer ships.*Air conditioning was installed and stabilizers were fitted. Howver, in the 1960s she started to show greater ageing problems. Herr steam boilers were replaced in 1967 by Wilton-Fijenoord at Schiedam.Due to fearce competition from the emerging airline industry, the New Amsterdam was withdrawn from the transatlantic route and used for cruises to the Caribbean. On November 8, 1971, the Nieuw Amsterdam made her last transatlantic voyage.

Sadly, the old ship soon became much too expensive and the cruises were no longer profitable. This was the final blow to the once-admired ship. On December 17, 1973, she was withdrawn from active service and was laid up. On January 9, 1974, she made her farewell cruise to Los Angeles.
There had been some vague attempts to dock the ship in Rotterdam and to preserve her as a museum, hotel and conference center but no sufficient funding could be found.* In a crisis that hit the Netherlands very hard petrol was rationed and car-free Sundays were introduced to save fuel. In this atmosphere there was no surplus money available to spend on the preservation of a ship that had been called the “Darling of the Dutch”. The Nieuw Amsterdam finally sailed to Taiwan* where she arrived on February 25, 1974 to be scrapped by Nan Fong Steel Enterprises Ltd.”.
Many in the shipping world, then and now and certainly those who sailed on her, did and do consider the Nieuw Amsterdam the most beautiful and well loved North Atlantic liner of her day.
Attached Thumbnails
The Darling of the Dutch-4487-large_default.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-041.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-042.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-033.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-037.jpg  

The Darling of the Dutch-040.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-101.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-102.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-103.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-104.jpg  

The Darling of the Dutch-105.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-106.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-107.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-108.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-109.jpg  

The Darling of the Dutch-110.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2022, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 39.40 MB
That's a beautiful story of a fantastic ship Hans.

At the end of last year I was asked to join Jeroen ( World of Paperships) and you to pre build this ship, and I was honored to be able to do that.
Full of joy I started and my assignment was to build the full hull, the ship as build in 1938.

Unfortunately, the world changed on February 25th and that had a big influence on my daily work.
And especially on the available time to build, fortunately I was able to remove the little mistakes from the full hull, Jeroen and you were already a long way further with the superstructure.

Now I get some more time and have also started with the superstructure, the first decks have been placed.
I still have a lot to do but what a fantastic ship to work on.

Fred
Old 07-01-2022, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thanks for the history lesson and seeing this beautiful ship in photos and photos of your build
Old 10-07-2022, 06:29 AM

New Amsterdam.

Dear fellow builders,
Finally I can show you a number of pictures of the finished 1/250 model, issued by Scaldis in cooperation with JSC. I opted for the grey version as waterline model. I must tell you that this is one of the pre-production models, but I can assure you that the model is worth buying. Speak for yourself:
Who does not want to build a model of "The Queen of the Oceans"

enjoy the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
The Darling of the Dutch-043.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-045.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-044.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-046.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-047.jpg  

The Darling of the Dutch-048.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-049.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-050.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-051.jpg   The Darling of the Dutch-052.jpg  

The Darling of the Dutch-053.jpg  
Old 10-07-2022, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Beautiful, beautiful subject and superb fabrication. It is a real inspiration to look at. Thanks for sharing. Love these classic liners.
Google Adsense
Old 10-07-2022, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
What a beauty Hans! I like looking at the pictures and discovering all kinds of fine details. The swimming pools, the sports courts (volleyball, tennis?) and all these small lifeboats. Certainly no Titanic !

Did you use EZ-line for the rigging? I'm curious to know how you handle this material as I intend using it for the Dauntless as well. Something to discuss in a few weeks time!

Cheers,
Erik
Old 08-15-2023, 06:31 AM

New Amsterdam.

Just to remind you of how it al began.......

The JSC address is no longer valid. this should be:

[email protected]

Hans van de Pavoordt
Old 08-15-2023, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
An outstanding build!!