PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-12-2022, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC

Hello,

JSC's Stefan Batory has been in my "to do" stack for quite some time, and now I'm in the mood to do an ocean liner, so here goes...

I enjoy putting together the "structure" part of the model and it's always interesting to see how the designer shaped the parts so that the ship would have some strength. The Stefan Batory is basically three "blocks" that are assembled and then glued together to give the basic shape of the ship. This model is quite different from the last few I did because it fits on my work tray (which is a picture frame with glass).

Once the blocks are put together, assembly continues from the front deck.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC-img_2608a.jpg   1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC-img_2609.jpg   1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC-img_2610.jpg   1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC-img_2611.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2022, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi,

when I was a kid, Stefan Batory was one of my favourite ships! Nice to see that someon is building it. So Have fun with this papercraft!

regards Jacek

śmieciarka - Jelcz 315
Old 07-13-2022, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Another in my build pile. I'll follow with interest.

Greg
Old 07-13-2022, 10:28 AM

Hello,

That is fun that you got to see the real ship, Jacek! I didn't mention that JSC also wrote a good history of the ship (in Polish and English!) which was interesting to read. (Instructions are written in Polish and English, also)

I like these model designs that just use folded frames for strength and do not require thicker cardboard. To me, they are more enjoyable to put together.

Best regards,
Kurt
Old 07-17-2022, 09:54 AM

Hello,

Assembly is going along fine. There was a pause in doing larger parts to assemble the bollards and capstans for the rear deck since the next deck would make a roof over those locations, so I also did the front bollards at the same time. I used thin plastic rod instead of rolling the bollards even though the kit included the parts on thin paper. The capstans are entirely paper since the diameter was larger.

There is a swimming pool at the rear of the ship. JSC printed the blue insides of the pool on the thinner, glossier paper used for the cover pages of the kit. I did not read ahead and see that it was to be covered with clear plastic sandwiched between the laminated deck halves; still, I think the glossy paper looks very good.

The supports for the sides of the two decks at the rear are plastic rod.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC-img_2612.jpg   1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC-img_2614.jpg   1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC-img_2615.jpg   1/400 "Stefan Batory" ocean liner by JSC-img_2620.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2022, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 566.35 MB
Very nice Kurt, you make it look so easy Your skill is a joy to watch! Looking forward to the next assembly!

Gregg
Old 07-18-2022, 04:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
So far it looks like a nice, clean build...
Old 07-18-2022, 06:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.81 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGiraffe View Post
Hello,

Assembly is going along fine. There was a pause in doing larger parts to assemble the bollards and capstans for the rear deck since the next deck would make a roof over those locations, so I also did the front bollards at the same time. I used thin plastic rod instead of rolling the bollards even though the kit included the parts on thin paper. The capstans are entirely paper since the diameter was larger.

There is a swimming pool at the rear of the ship. JSC printed the blue insides of the pool on the thinner, glossier paper used for the cover pages of the kit. I did not read ahead and see that it was to be covered with clear plastic sandwiched between the laminated deck halves; still, I think the glossy paper looks very good.

The supports for the sides of the two decks at the rear are plastic rod.

Take care,
Kurt
Looks great so far, im waiting to build mine also
Old 07-18-2022, 09:38 AM

Thank you all very much!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that JSC included spare squares of the various colors including the deck planks in case you need to make any patches or repairs.

Best regards,
Kurt
Old 07-21-2022, 02:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 123.55 MB
That is coming along very nicely, I am a big fan of JSC Kits
Google Adsense