PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-23-2022, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Problem !!!!

Hi Guys,

I have a slight problem, but first a short story. 60 years ago I inherited a model of a sailing ship from my grandpa, build around 1875 by an uncle of my grandpa, who apparently sailed on this ship, the "Anna" with homeport Amsterdam.
60 years later, I am 72 now, I decided to do something on the appearance of the model which was in a bad condition. colours were faded and many parts and the rigging was broken or totally brittle.
So I dismantled the model and removed all the rigging and decided to use the book "Rigging period ship models" from Lennarth Peterson as a guide for rigging my 150 year old model. Repairing broken parts and repainting the model went well, but I am stuck now on the rigging. I started with the ratlines of the ship and used Peterson's method, but I am not very happy with the results, see pictures. Although I know this is not a paper model, maybe a good advise will help.
I admire you guys who are building period sailing ships and do a perfect rigging on these models, my master in this is Ab Hoving, who did a real magnificent job on his models.
So my question is, has anybody an idea how to do a good rigging job on my model ???
Attached Thumbnails
Problem !!!!-img_000274.jpg   Problem !!!!-img_000272.jpg   Problem !!!!-img_000273.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2022, 02:04 AM

By the way I started to build the "Duyfken" from Seahorse, but halted the build, because of the rigging, if I cannot do a good rigging in my old model it is useless to proceed on the "Duyfken " !!
Old 08-23-2022, 06:06 AM

I think I have to find a way, so that the rigging looks right, but is not done like on the real ships, I have to find my own way of doing it !! If any suggestion, they are welcome !!
Old 08-23-2022, 08:10 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello John. Sorry I cannot assist with rigging. But I hope you will provide some photos after getting some advice from the Sail Ship experts here. I enjoyed reading the story about the model. Amazing how long ago it was built . . . . certainly an antique. And, I might say, your ratlines look excellent to me.

Mike
Old 08-23-2022, 08:10 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Also . . . interesting to read you attempting to transition from steel to wood ships.
I gave some thought to trying one myself. It would not be easy. There is a lot to learn about those old vessels and the rigging.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2022, 11:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Hi John,

When I do a rigging repair, I always make sure to take extensive photos, so that I can recreate the builder's rig from the photos.

Regarding Lennarth Peterson's book, it's okay as a general guide to 3-masted square riggers. What you have looks like a 3-masted bark, which will be slightly different in that there are not square sails on the mizzen mast, which is the rear-most mast.

Now, the thing is, this model's rig already looks like it's not really authentic. Too few shrouds per mast, for one thing. This leads me to figure that the rigging was highly simplified.

When you re-rig, you'll have to keep that in mind, as real rigging is quite complex, and on this model, you'll mostly just need the most major lines. You have some of the shrouds already, you'll need to add the main, fore and mizzen stays, and then use a thinner line to add top stays topgallant stays, etc. There are also upper shrouds and ratlines, if that's how it was originally built.

After that, you can probably get away with just adding the lifts (refer to Peterson) and braces (again refer to Peterson), and that's about all you need for a simplified rig.

Are there sails? If so, that complicates things a bit.

Last note is that I recommend signing onto ModelShipWorld.com, as you'll get a lot more help on the model, due to general maritime knowledge base there.

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 08-24-2022, 01:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Hallo Jan,
I totally agree with catopower's post.
This is not a model that reflexes reality. Don't try to make it look that way. It is a typical 'sailor's model' and as so it is charming and apparently answered to the builder's need to stay more or less connected with the ship he once sailed. Don't try to make 'improvements'. Follow the original builder in the way he did things. I have seen a lot of models that had to be restored, but the starting point was for me always: what intentions did the builder have and what was his technical level. Inside that envelope you can make a plan for restoration.
Bring it back home...
Ab
By the way: your ratlines are perfect. Leave them as they are.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Don't try to make 'improvements'. Follow the original builder in the way he did things. I have seen a lot of models that had to be restored, but the starting point was for me always: what intentions did the builder have and what was his technical level. Inside that envelope you can make a plan for restoration.

As one who 'cleans up' vintage models. This rings true. Doing too much 'improvement' destroys the charm
Old 08-24-2022, 08:17 AM

Thanks guys for the information, the model had a very "wealthy" rigging for such a simple model, so that is why I thought of using Peterson's book for the renewed rigging, at least use his techniques for making the rigging. I watched some videos about rigging model ships and noticed that there is a difference between the standing line and the lines that the deadeyes blocks connect. I removed all rigging and will start over with the right sizes of thread !!
It is a good rehearsal for when I am proceed with my "Duyfken" model !!