PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-27-2022, 10:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Thanks Michael. That long bowsprit actually gets even longer when I add the jibboom to the end of it! In the meantime, progress is a slow and steady march forward.

Besides the bowsprit and the jibboom, I fashioned the main mast and topmast, and the main boom and gaff. I still have to shape the wood for the two yardarms.

There are a lot of small details that go some of these spars, such as small "stops", jaws, and cleats. The cleats were the hardest things to cut. The kit comes with a few dozen, but I found it easier to cut them from scratch and then paint them. This is the case with the main boom, which you can see in the photos.

I also have all the tiny blocks to assemble. These are actually all glued up now, but I didn't cut them free from the part strips. No photos of these yet.

The last thing to mention are the hoops on the mainmast. One of the accessory sets came with laser-cut mast hoops, but I thought they looked way too thick and out of scale. So, I wrapped an appropriate piece of brass tubing with brown paper, brushing glue between each layer. The paper wrapped around the tube several times until it was thick enough, then left to dry.

I then used the scalpel blade to cut the paper into rings, which slid off the tube, and made perfect mast hoops.
Attached Thumbnails
Armed Virginia Sloop - 1:100 - Seahorse-img_5267.jpg   Armed Virginia Sloop - 1:100 - Seahorse-img_5268.jpg  

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com

Tags
1/100, armed virginia sloop, seahorse