Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work on the sub assembles

Old 11-16-2022, 08:01 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Those gun carriages look great.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Hi All, not a dead project! Just wanted to let you know.

I'm dealing with a number of things and just taking a bit of a break. Will be back to it soon!

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 12-11-2023, 01:38 PM

After a long absence here of nearly a YEAR, I'm putting some work in on HMS Wolf again.

Most recently, I finally added the carriage guns. They're attached with their breech ropes, but I haven't dealt with the train tackles yet. Frankly, I'm' not sure if I will or if I even can. I didn't add tackle blocks to my HMS Alert, but that was a smaller scale. Still, the guns on HMS Wolf are only 3 pounders I believe, so they're about the same size as the smaller scale 6 pounders on Alert.

Anyway, I also made progress on making the ship's wheel and binnacle box. Plus, I added the low rail on the quarter deck and finished some more deck furniture.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6943.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6942.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6964.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6972.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6975.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2023, 01:44 PM

Most of the deck furniture is not yet glued into place, but I did drill out and add brass rods to them. Then, when they do get glued down, the glue will have something more to hold to.

Soon, I'll need to start rigging the tiller ropes to the ships wheel, but I'm not sure about using the lines that's included in the kit. Also not sure about using the paper blocks. I'm really a wood ship modeler working on a card model kit, so using paper for the blocks is really difficult for me. I used some really nice pear wood blocks on Alert...

At this stage, I do need to add all the deck cleats, but I'm also anxious to start working on the masts and spars. I have a couple days off from work, so I'll try to get some of these things done.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6970.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6971.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6973.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_6974.jpg  

Old 12-11-2023, 02:30 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Great to see this project again.
Beautiful work. Time for the masts and spars!
Old 12-12-2023, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Impressive build so far. I will be following your thread work closely to learn how it's done. Pogoria has the advantage of no cannon, of course.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:23 PM

Thanks Michael! Thanks Siwi!

I'll try to keep making and posting progress. I'm getting much closer to the rigging stage now, and it feels good to be this far along.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:26 PM

Being rather productive this holiday season, I decided to press forward by working on the bowsprit and masts of HMS Wolf.

It's amazing how many laser-cut parts are provided for the detailing of these. There are some dozen little parts plus the wooden dowel, which requires shaping, and another seven or so, just for the bowsprit cap, not including the half dozen eyebolts that have to be made and added to it.

The lower masts were next and this was the first time I'd encountered the built-up card for the mast tops. The cheeks and above are all laser cut card and I found the part of the mast that will make up the doublings to be too flex, and I was not confident they would survive my rigging work. So, I added a little strip of wood front and back at the cheeks – I figured they be painted black, like the whole area of the mast head, and be pretty well hidden. I also made sure to soak the thick card masthead with thin CA glue. This did stiffen them up and made the whole masthead feel a lot sturdier.

The thin paint used on the wood beaded up at the CA soaked card parts, but this area will be later painted black, so should look much better.

I expect I'll continue preparing all the mast parts and start on the yards and gaff as well. By the time I'm done with these, I'll have decided on the rigging and blocks I'll be using. Then, the rigging can commence!
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_7097.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_7095.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_7096.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_7098.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_7099.jpg  

Google Adsense