Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-18-2022, 08:19 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice work Clare.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Thanks for the comments Doug, Michael.

It's been a lot of fun so far, and continues to be.

The addition of the hull's third layer begins. The third layer of the hull is pretty much actual, individual hull planks, with the exception of the bulwarks. There are two sheets of thin, laser-cut card stock for this layer, one for each side of the hull. It's nice how the planking is all pre-spiled.

In the second image below, some of the individual planks have been glued into place. To make it clearer, I marked the last plank to go on with an arrow. The planks are added from the bulwarks down toward the keel, as per the instructions. Note how the second layer's markings serve as a guide for the placing of this final layer's individual planks. But, you can see that it's a bit hard to line the pieces up exactly, as I had some trouble getting the second layer to lay down nicely at the bow. This didn't turn out to be that big an issue.

It was just a matter of time before I had all the planks added. I ended up with some gaps close to the end, but the whole model gets painted later anyway so it wasn't a problem.

There is some excess length to the planks, so that had to be trimmed trimmed off. Once that was done, I added the keel and stem pieces.

After the planks were laid, I had some high spots with the edges of some of the planks, so I did a little light sanding. I also applied some acrylic gesso to the bottom of the hull to fill in some of those gaps in the planking prior to painting the hull, which will come up next.

You can see that there's still a little bit of unevenness at the base of the bulwarks piece, but this should be pretty well covered by the addition of the wales.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_4770.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_4914.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_4936.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_4943.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_4942.jpg  

HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_4941.jpg  

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 09-18-2022, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Good work Clare.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:54 PM

Thanks David.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:38 PM

As I mentioned last time, I had some high spots with the edges of some planks, so I did a bit of light sanding, and applied some gesso to the bottom of the hull to fill in any gaps in the planking. Finally, I used my waterline marker to define the waterline, then masked it off using some Tamiya brand masking tape.
Following the kit instructions, I painted the upper hull yellow and then re-masked and painted the bottom white.

I decided I didn’t want to use the paint straight out of the provided jars, as the colors seemed too intense. My initial concern was really about the use of red. The outside hull gets some pre-printed frieze design with red background that looked like it matched the color of the paint straight from the jar. Fortunately, the designs were only on the outside of the hull. All my painting of red would be on the inside of the hull. So modifying the red color shouldn't cause any issues.

As for the yellow, I lightened it up to reduce the intensity a little, which I decided was only on the outer hull, so it shouldn’t be an issue there either.

elow is the first piece of the printed frieze design. I don’t know if the design was actually on the operational ship, or if it only appeared in some painting somewhere of the proposed ship, or if it might have eventually been painted over. I considered not using it. But, it adds so much to the decorative nature of the model that I saw no good reason to leave it off. Sorry the lighting wasn't very good for seeing the artwork in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5053.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5054.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5055.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-19-2022, 11:41 PM

At last, I got to work on the face of the stern cabin, which is such a cool little project and looks so nice on the model. I decided to paint it red, but to give some depth to it I painted the underlying piece a dark brown to add contrast. I also painted the columns brown as well.

There are several pieces, and it was a lot of fun to put this all together. I think there were 22 or 23 pieces, not including 5 clear acetate pieces for the window glass, which was added later and glued into place using Formula ‘560’ Canopy Glue, which dries clear.

After that, I added the wales, which covered up some of the irregularities in the hull that were bothering me. I painted the wales black before applying it, then I finished off painting the black portion of the stem.

The inner bulwarks pieces went in just fine, though they were just a tad long. I carefully lined them up with the gunports to figure out which end I had to trim and by how much. You can’t see it in the photos, but the bottom edges at the forecastle showed a little gap, so before gluing those forward pieces into place, I painted the hull behind the pieces first where the bottom edge would show through. So, now, you can’t see the gap so well.

Painting the inner edges of the gun ports and the sweep ports resulted in getting a little paint on the outside of the hull. So, I had to clean up as best I could as I went along, then touched up the outer hull with the yellow paint.

I am super thrilled about how nicely this model has been turning out, and I find it just incredible to get this far so quickly, and to have something so beautiful and amazingly detailed in my hands.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5070.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5077.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5078.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5081.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5085.jpg  

Old 09-27-2022, 01:58 AM

Next step was to add the friezes to the hull. This comes as, if I recall exactly, five separate pieces for each side of the hull. The gun ports and sweep ports provide the perfect guides for alignment of these printed pieces of paper. This printed paper, by the way, is the only thing in the whole kit that needs to be cut by hand.

After this, the build actually gets a little tricky, when it comes time to add all the moldings that border the friezes. You have to look at the instructions very carefully to make sure the right pieces go in the right places. It can be very easy to get mixed up, and there are also some REALLY TINY pieces. With no extra pieces provided, this is one place where you have to be super careful with the build.

Below, you can see the first really noticeable mistake. I didn’t notice when I glued the clear acetate to the back of the quarter gallery window frames and the frames on one side got deformed in the process. I left it, rather than trying to fix it and probably destroying it. I may eventually see if I can make the deformity less noticeable. But, for now, it’s only really noticeable in a close-up photo.

The next mistake, which I did manage to overcome was the knee at the head. When I glued it into place, I thought it was a single piece, but turns out there was a second piece. They were supposed to be glued together to form one, thicker knee. But, the instructions don’t really make it clear and I only figured it out when I ran across the second piece.

To fix this, I just sliced the second piece in half and glued each slice to either side of the knee that was already in place. Problem solved!

The stern gallery was another one of those cool detailed assemblies that would really stand out on the model. This one was 29 pieces, including the frieze.

The last photo I uploaded is the model with all the moldings in place. I was afraid that some of these molding pieces might get knocked off, so I made sure to brush some diluted Aleene’s Tacky Glue along the edges of the molding pieces to help secure them. Even so, I’m extra careful with the model as I’m working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5089.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5095.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5096.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5099.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5098.jpg  

HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5100.jpg   HMS Wolf, 10-gun brig - 1/72 - Shipyard Laser Cut Kit-img_5102.jpg  

Old 09-27-2022, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
That is a great set of cabin windows.

Doug
Old 09-27-2022, 08:17 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
The hull looks excellent . . . like it is made of wood.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the comments Doug, Michael.

The cabin windows are one of the things that really attracted me to these laser-cut card kits from Shipyard. The details are so finely done.

As for the hull looking like wood. When you paint any of these kits, whether they're printed paper or laser-cut card, it's hard to tell that they're not wood. I had my HMS Alert model at a ship model conference many years ago, and people kept asking me what kind of wood I used.

In another instance, when the model was completed and on display, one of my fellow ship modelers was reading the description card next to the model, and then I heard him call out loudly "this is PAPER?" It was a very satisfying moment. But, it's hard to get other wood ship modelers to try a paper model.

Google Adsense