PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-19-2022, 12:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thanks, SWF...that makes a lot of sense. This sub was apparently built for stealth too.

More soon...Dan
Old 12-19-2022, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Excellent work so far. The Jimmy Carter is a fascinating submarine. A true tribute to a former president who had been part of Rickover’s team.

With the help of the late John Bowden, I took a stab at the JC when I was living in Cyprus a few years back. John basically added a scale 100-foot section to Trent Henry’s Seawolf.

I was having printer issues at the time and it came out kind of wonky. I figured the real thing was built in sections (and the JC is basically just a longer Seawolf) so maybe my wonky look wasn’t far off….

SSN-23 USS Jimmy Carter
Old 12-21-2022, 11:22 PM

Wow! That's a beauty, Dhan! I really like them side by side.

Here's how mine is turning out so far. All primed but now I'm adding all the dive planes, stabilizers (for lack of a better term and ignorance ) etc. and I got the rear shroud over the prop on too. After some more priming, I'll need to add the "thing" that runs along the upper right hand side. I think it's an underwater antenna of some sort. Then of course are the top periscopes and other do-dads on the sail and then off to the paint shop!

My son helped with the stand by creating the signage in GIMP for me. Looks as good if not better than the kit print! It's backed on 1/8th inch balsa. Thanks, Peter...

More soon,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-p1020720.jpg   Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-p1020721.jpg   Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-p1020722.jpg  
Old 12-22-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
Wow! That's a beauty, Dhan! I really like them side by side.

Here's how mine is turning out so far. All primed but now I'm adding all the dive planes, stabilizers (for lack of a better term and ignorance ) etc. and I got the rear shroud over the prop on too. After some more priming, I'll need to add the "thing" that runs along the upper right hand side. I think it's an underwater antenna of some sort. Then of course are the top periscopes and other do-dads on the sail and then off to the paint shop!

My son helped with the stand by creating the signage in GIMP for me. Looks as good if not better than the kit print! It's backed on 1/8th inch balsa. Thanks, Peter...

More soon,
Dan
That’s coming along very nicely. Clean!

At the stern, the surfaces that point up and down are the rudder, while the perpendicular ones are the aft hydroplanes. The fins that stick down at 5 and 7 o’clock (approximately) are stabilizers that double as mountings for the towed array sonar (TAS). The structure along the top of the submarine is the conduit for the TAS.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:31 AM

This is why I love this site. Now I know what the parts are and the correct names. I know lots of airplane stuff (old stuff at that) but I'm lost with anything newer than 1945. Thank you DH!!

More today. I hope to get the basic structure all complete and then paint tomorrow.

Cheers,
Dan
Google Adsense
Old 12-26-2022, 11:35 PM

Well...I didn't finish it for Christmas, but I told the person that his gift was still on the way. I'll see him on New Years so that's the plan.

I got the basic colors on. Some is spurious but it's also to make things a bit more artistically appealing. As I recall, the whole thing was a dull, beaten black but internet photos show varying shades which could be due to drying, wetness etc. But I like the contrasts. I also added some 1/200th crew members on top to add scale. I'm not too happy with my painting of those as they look too toy-like. I'll see what I decide to do.

Next will be some more detail painting, some numbers added and a bit of weathering. Oh! And a US flag along with a skull and cross bones flag.

More soon...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-p1020723.jpg   Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-p1020724.jpg  
Old 12-27-2022, 07:24 AM

Fine job! Looks like a submarine….
Old 12-28-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Fine job! Looks like a submarine….

Hooray! That's what I was going for...

Here are the crew along with a safety fence and a couple o' flags! Almost done.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-cartercrew.jpg  
Old 12-29-2022, 11:36 PM

A couple more stencils and some weathering and I'll give this to my friend on Saturday. I'll just make it.

I got most of the lettering on to the best of my ability by applying some rub-on letters. They are slightly too big and don't completely match, but they do dress it up and make it much more interesting. My son made the stencils for the top side rear in GIMP and I turned them into masks and sprayed.

Almost done now!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-p1020782.jpg   Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-p1020783.jpg   Modelik USS Seawolf Conversion! 1/200th-p1020784.jpg  
Old 12-30-2022, 08:31 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
That is an awesome piece of work Dan. Your friend is going to have an outstanding model to display.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense