PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-03-2023, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Swedish Yacht 18th Century

I've had this one for a while and have always wanted to build it, now I finally will.
It is a little extra that came with the Berbice from shipyard Shipyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-1.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2023, 01:30 PM

I wasn't ready to go and try anything to complex. I haven't built anything from Shipyard yet and I haven't built a full hull sail craft yet. So this looked like a good first entry.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-3.jpg  
Old 02-03-2023, 01:36 PM

The photo sheet supplied shows a lot of gilded ornamentation all over the model. I want the finished product to look like that to. In order to do that I'm gonna need to add some gold paint.
In the image below you can see the first two ornamentations on the left side painted gold and the remaining three as printed for comparison. When the light hits it right it really stands out. This was the brightest gold paint I could find on hand. The second photo shows all decoration in gold paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-4.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-5.jpg  
Old 02-03-2023, 01:42 PM

This ornamentation is everywhere on the boat, so this is gonna take a while to do it all. The first image again shows the the 3 right side decorations painted on the bottom strip with all else as printed. The second photo shows the two upper blue strips in gold paint.
Of note here is the cabin windows do not show 4 panes of glass in each space, which the completed photos show, so I will have to make that separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-6.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-7.jpg  
Old 02-03-2023, 01:43 PM

The interior is visible and it also has all that gold ornamentation. Parts 7, 9 & 11.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-8.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2023, 01:49 PM

Not sure that much of the interior will be really that easy to see, but those windows are going to have to be cut out anyway. Photos show the framing to be gilded as well. I will leave the door open somewhat when I build it to improve the visibility into the cabin as well as add more light.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-9.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-10.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-11.jpg  
Old 02-03-2023, 01:55 PM

The stern looks very nice. I didn't want to do all that tedious painting so I opted for a whole bunch of tedious cutting.
Painting the cut piece after would be easier and then I can just glue it on the original printed piece. I opted for the tedious cutting because it added some depth/texture to the stern. It would look nice if I did that for all the ornamentation but that would be waaay to much work. The stern piece though is deserving of it.
To get my donor stern piece I just made a couple copies on the printer.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-12.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-13.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-14.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-15.jpg  
Old 02-03-2023, 01:58 PM

Here are the two stern pieces. I haven't glue them on to the original printed parts yet but I did lay them on top in the second photo to see how it will look..... and it was worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-16.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-17.jpg  
Old 02-05-2023, 05:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I think this is one of Fredrik Henrik af Chapman's (1721–1808) designs. He was a famous swedish naval architect. I've been searching this Shipyard kit for ages but it doesn't circulate, at least not in the places I go. I once triend to mimic this deriving the form from Chapman's drawings but it didn't go too well. I turned it into a joke. Your doing very fine job so far and I will follow your build.

Tappi
Old 02-05-2023, 01:58 PM

Yes, this is in his drawing set. I just noticed that the drawing shows a figure head and knight heads whereas the model has an extended stem with no figure head and a signal cannon mounted up front.
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish Yacht 18th Century-7f05525b-4161-4b63-9050-9b67cc3552e7.jpg   Swedish Yacht 18th Century-abcdd65e-c48e-49d1-af9f-cfd4f561d83a.jpg  
Google Adsense