PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-21-2023, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
Russian Cruiser ROSSIJA - 1896 - 1:200 scale

Hi all..

While, I'm building the ironclad battleship RN ITALIA, already described in another thread, I was aware that I didn't wrote here anything about another paper model of a ship that I'm quite close to complete.

This paper model is based on an Orel (paper modeling) kit, and represent the armored cruiser Rossija (in Russian : Россия)of the Imperial Russian Navy launched in 1896 and served in the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905.

More information about this ship are available at the following Wikipedia link :

Russian cruiser Rossia - Wikipedia

The model is one of the largest I've built until now, having a lenght of more than 70 centimeters and, also if, at a first look, it seems not so complicated as other ships I've built before (as example the Borodino, the Admiral Nakhimov, the USS Brooklyn), indeed the difficult is not so little.

The mix of guns, funnels, masts, ratlines and rigging, made this model a not-simple one to build.

In the picture I took some weeks ago, on the ship are not yet installed the many boats, steam launches, steam torpedo-boats, dinghies and many other particulars.

At the actual status, to complete finally this model, are still missing the external stairs, the anti-torpedo poles, the flags, one stand and the transparent case.

I hope to complete this model in a couple of months...and one finished, I'll post the last pics.

In the meantime I hope you'll like the following pictures (many of the readers probably have already saw those pics on Facebook on the Papermodelers FB group)

Have a nice time and an happy paper-modeling !!

ciao
Jp

Old 03-21-2023, 10:58 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Exquisite work J.P.
And . . . I must say . . . you are a master gun maker.

Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 03-21-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Impeccable build!
Old 03-21-2023, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Beautiful!
Old 03-21-2023, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Great photos, superior craftsmanship. Bravo my friend
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2023, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
A very fine model indeed, congratulations!
Old 03-22-2023, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
that sir is an awesome build well done
Old 03-22-2023, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Very beautiful build.Long time ago I tried building Aurora from Maly but completely failed with hull. It was very similar cruiser.

Side question: I see models of Russian armored ships usually in white or black colors but also in grey. I've seen period drawings and paintings of Aurora in all 3 colors-do you know what was the deal with that? Different times or different theatres of operations? I could never find answer to this question.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Wow! Like Mike said, each one of those guns is an exquisite model on its own, and there are so many of them. Great work.

Doug
Old 03-23-2023, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Very beautiful build.Long time ago I tried building Aurora from Maly but completely failed with hull. It was very similar cruiser.

Side question: I see models of Russian armored ships usually in white or black colors but also in grey. I've seen period drawings and paintings of Aurora in all 3 colors-do you know what was the deal with that? Different times or different theatres of operations? I could never find answer to this question.
According to the Russian sources, up to 1903 the ships of the "homeland" - Baltic and Black Sea Fleets - were painted black (hull) + white (superstructure) + yellow (chimneys). When detached to the "foreign seas" - Mediterranean, Pacific and Siberian Fleets - they were repainted white+white+yellow. Aurora was repainted full white in 1903 when enclosed into the adm. Virenius squadron. Before the defeat at Cushima the ships of the 1st Pacific Squadron were repainted olive green (since 1903/1904), while the 2nd Pacific Squadron black+gray+yellow (chimneys with one third black, i.e. black ends; in August 1904), and Aurora was repainted too (she was in the 2nd Pacific). After the battle (may 1905) and the internment she returns to the Baltic sea with black+white+yellow (with black ends), and it is proved that the superstructure was repainted white during the return trip, while the hull and chimneys remain not repainted. According to the old photographs the black top paint on the hull was mostly deteriorated and full of rusty streaks.

Even my Russian colleagues couldn't find the sources regarding painting after the October Revolution. Perhaps the Bolshevik authorities had little interest in the obsolete battleship. During the WWI perhaps it was repainted in cammo (gray?), next she was used as a training ship and in 1944 finally turned into the museum ship but first it was hauled to the Leningrad shipyard and the disarmament and repair were conducted for two years. Interesting fact is that the ship was used for the filmmaking between April 10th and July 15th 1946, "disguised" as another ship, Variag, and for this task many changes were made (they weren't sister ships) including more than 100 tons of structures removed and the historical painting of the Baltic Squadron restored (acc. to the documents 5000 sqm of painting area, but unfortunately in the documents there is no info regarding the colours nor the further repainting if any).

Last edited by Viator; 03-23-2023 at 08:05 AM.
Google Adsense