PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-02-2023, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
SPanish Battleship PELAYO - 1:200 - Heinkel Models

Hello to all paper modelers...

while I'm building the model of the battleship RN ITALIA, I have also started the building of another battleship, a Spanish one this time, the PELAYO nicknamed "El Rey Solitario" (the lone king).

Also this model kit is from the firm of Heinkel Models and this stay on my shelf since many and many years, because many years ago, I used also this kitdrawings and schemas (together with some other, Spanish and Russian I found) to build a 1:100 scale model of this peculiar warship in "traditional materials" (wood, metal, plastic, resin) and it was the last "traditional building" I made before to move completely on paper modeling.

The kit is very well designed (like quite all the other of Heinkel Models) and the bulding will be interesting and challenging at the same time..
As my usual, I'll try to build the secondary guns (they were Hontoria guns) on the battery bridge sith some bit more particulars than in the kit... also if (I know...) theyll be uite completely hided by the hull and upper bridge.

Anyway... here some pics of the first part of the bulding.. the false keel and the frames have been glued on a 2 mm thick cardboard, like also the bridges.. The false keel has been strenghten, inside, by the use of two piece of hardwood, 5x5 mm in section and with the lenght quite long as the hull..

This way brings at the same time the hull to be straight and very strong without any warping.

Now, the next step will be (like in many my other models) to spray on the lower hull some layers of Tamiya grey primer, and after, when well dry, some layers of Tamiya red dull colour acrylic spray... Then, once again well dry, will start the building of the guns and the closing of lateral walls of the upper hull.

I hope that you'll like this building and (just to give you the view), I share also some pics of the "greater" model in 1:100 and the guns I built for that one.

Have an great enjoy in paper-modeling !!!

ciao
Jp

PELAYO - PAPER MODEL

PELAYO - 1:100 SCALE MODEL - TRADITIONAL MATERIALS

Old 10-02-2023, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
Nice work so far, I'll be following since I have a few Heinkel models in my stash and on my bench as well
Old 10-02-2023, 10:07 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This is an interesting ship JP.
I enjoy watching your reports, and learning some new things about all the details on your guns.
Mike
Old 10-02-2023, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 32.50 MB
Looks like a great beginning of a model! What are the guns made of? If paper can you please describe the technique you used to build them?
Old 10-03-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny View Post
Looks like a great beginning of a model! What are the guns made of? If paper can you please describe the technique you used to build them?
Hello...
please, I don't want to create any misunderstanding...

The guns picture I have shared are NOT related to the paper model I'm building, but are of the 1:100 scale model of Pelayo I have built some years ago using "traditional" materials (wood, metal, plastic, resin).

when I created the guns, based on a scale draw of the Hontoria guns, I have built them in the following way :

1) by a lathe I turned out the barrel (straight .. without the larger parts in the barrel) of a single gun, using a plastic rod;

2) on the resin "straight" barrel in plastic I added the larger parts of the barrel using many layers of Tamiya masking tape, in order to reach the right diameters for each part of the gun;

3) with the barrel with Tamiya tape, I created a new rubber mold for this barrel and I got the mold for create more barrels using casting resin.

4) I made the barrel muzzle hole of the right diameter by a drill

5) I built, one by one, the stands for the guns and each platform, adding the handwheels and spraying any piece with Tamiya primer

6) then I sprayed each barrel with Tamiya primer, and, when dry, I painted each barrel with black acrylic color.

7) then I painted with acrylic colors the bases and I glued each barrel o his own base

8) Then, once well dry, I glued each gun in its position in the battery bridge..

and that's all ...

But for this paper model in 1:200 (that will be all in paper, except for the standing rigging), I'll build (as my usual) any single barrel using thin paper layers put around a metal wire of the internal diameter of the muzzle... then I will add other layers of thin paper to model the largest parts of the barrel.
And I'll build one by one each stand for the guns, and I'll simulate by paper the base.
then I'll glue the guns on the battery bridge and only when they'll be well dry, I'll glue all the lateral superstructure of the hull...

Hoping to have answered to your question

Ciao

Jp
Old 10-03-2023, 07:21 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Very good method you describe for making the paper gun barrels.
I will experiment with your technique of wrapping paper around metal wire. Then, the wire can be withdrawn, and what is left is a perfect gun barrel?

I use a similar technique for "tapered" gun barrels. Instead of a piece of wire, I sanded a wood dowel to the interior diameter of the gun barrel, and wrapped the paper around it.
Then the wood dowel is withdrawn, leaving a paper gun barrel. This technique is more difficult than creating a "non-tapered" gun barrel, but it works well enough.

Mike
Old 10-03-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Very good method you describe for making the paper gun barrels.
I will experiment with your technique of wrapping paper around metal wire. Then, the wire can be withdrawn, and what is left is a perfect gun barrel?

I use a similar technique for "tapered" gun barrels. Instead of a piece of wire, I sanded a wood dowel to the interior diameter of the gun barrel, and wrapped the paper around it.
Then the wood dowel is withdrawn, leaving a paper gun barrel. This technique is more difficult than creating a "non-tapered" gun barrel, but it works well enough.

Mike
Hello, Mike...

yes... the wrapping of paper around a metal "core" brings to have a very good barrel... but all depends from which kind of paper you use for wrapping.
As for my experience, the paper must to be very thin... the grammar should be less than 50 gr/Mq but, let me say, I usual use for such barrels the paper of the tickets receipts that I have from shops when I go to buy something ...

This kind of paper is really very thin and can be wrapped very well around a metal "core"... in this case I usually use (as metal support) some very thin steel needles (from 0.5 millimeters to 1 - 1.2 millimeters in diameter) that are very good for wrapping, having the length from 10 to 20 centimeters.

Just you have to be careful with glue... You have to use very few drops of glue because if the glue is vynil-based, the water inside the glue can cause problems in wrapping too much thin paper...

Those are used for straight (not tapered) tubes/barrels..

For tapered tubes/barrels I use, instead, a couple of metal rods that a friend of mine has worked for me with a lathe and are long about 20 centimeters and have a tapered reduction from 1.5 millimeters to .4 millimeters at the tip

In this way I'm able so to create tapered tubes in different section at both ends... but most important in this case is to work with paper as thin as you can find.. and here the use of the glue became very, very important...

So.. those are the ways I use to create the gun barrels..

Hoping that could be useful as "idea" and "trick" for some other paper modelers..

ciao

Jp
Old 10-03-2023, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Excellent!
Old 10-04-2023, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 32.50 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP64 View Post
Hello...
please, I don't want to create any misunderstanding...

The guns picture I have shared are NOT related to the paper model I'm building, but are of the 1:100 scale model of Pelayo I have built some years ago using "traditional" materials (wood, metal, plastic, resin).

when I created the guns, based on a scale draw of the Hontoria guns, I have built them in the following way :

1) by a lathe I turned out the barrel (straight .. without the larger parts in the barrel) of a single gun, using a plastic rod;

2) on the resin "straight" barrel in plastic I added the larger parts of the barrel using many layers of Tamiya masking tape, in order to reach the right diameters for each part of the gun;

3) with the barrel with Tamiya tape, I created a new rubber mold for this barrel and I got the mold for create more barrels using casting resin.

4) I made the barrel muzzle hole of the right diameter by a drill

5) I built, one by one, the stands for the guns and each platform, adding the handwheels and spraying any piece with Tamiya primer

6) then I sprayed each barrel with Tamiya primer, and, when dry, I painted each barrel with black acrylic color.

7) then I painted with acrylic colors the bases and I glued each barrel o his own base

8) Then, once well dry, I glued each gun in its position in the battery bridge..

and that's all ...

But for this paper model in 1:200 (that will be all in paper, except for the standing rigging), I'll build (as my usual) any single barrel using thin paper layers put around a metal wire of the internal diameter of the muzzle... then I will add other layers of thin paper to model the largest parts of the barrel.
And I'll build one by one each stand for the guns, and I'll simulate by paper the base.
then I'll glue the guns on the battery bridge and only when they'll be well dry, I'll glue all the lateral superstructure of the hull...

Hoping to have answered to your question

Ciao

Jp
Hello JP,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to explain your technique of creating these tappered gun barrels.
I'm going to save your technique offline so that I can reference it again.
You are doing a great job on your model and I'm looking forward to the completed project.

KT
Old 03-19-2024, 12:28 PM

Hello to all paper modelers !!!

The model of the Spanish Battleship PELAYO, in 1:200 scale is quite completed.
are missing only few particulars, the name plates and the transparent case to protect it.

The model kit has been designed by Heinkel Models, but I changed some parts of the ship, in particular the tops of the military masts and the broadside artillery casemates because I have found some pics of the real ship in 1889 where such elements are shown with a bit different shape from the kit.

So, now the Pelayo can be added to the other paper ship models in my house.

I hope you'll like the pics that I'm going to share and I hope this model will bring some other paper modeler to built this particular vessel.

Ciao from Italy !!

Jp