PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-31-2023, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Lovely work.
This ship has an interesting variety of sails, based on the photos I have seen.
Thank you Michael. Pogoria is defined as a barkentine/barquentine ship, as she has a square-rigged foremast, and then fore-and-aft rigged main- and mizzen-masts. In between are jibs and staysails (the smaller triangular type). This is a common layout for a sail training ship since it requires fewer crew than several sqhare-rigged masts, and makes the model a little simpler too.

I couldn't have told you all that a couple of months ago when I started building the kit!
Old 01-08-2024, 04:58 PM

More deck details. The stern is virtually complete with the four small and two large bollards, built as a stack of discs and rolled cylinders, some of which are very small. I found the paper could effectivly be folded onto the glue tab and then formed into a cylinder without leaving creases. JSC print parts like these on thin paper along with the sails which makes it a it easier too. I prefer to glue the bases straight to the deck and then build the stack up rather than need to manipulate tiny parts on the cutting board and risk losing them. In fact disaster struck when the top tiny cap of one bollard pinged away as I made the last cut out of the paper. Same colour as the floor so couldn't find it. But I did find a porthole cutout on the floor that was the same diameter so stuck that on and colour matched it as best I could.

At the bow are another pair of hatches, I thickened these rather than use the thin wall parts in the kit. After that added the lasercut tops to the ventilators, and moved on to the 40-odd part structure that is the windless for the anchor. This sits on a base with minute quadralateral supports, which actually went on OK with some careful cutting and positioning, then a base plate, then the windless itself. The side winch arms are again a stack of cylinders and discs, quite a complex one and care must be taken to follow the diagrams. As well as edge colouring in black I used a nearly-dead silver marker to get a nice metallic sheen on all these. Chains were part of a necklace donated by a neighbour in my craft club, which was perfect in this scale.
The last image shows the davits for the RIB launches installed.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Nice details. I like it !
Old 01-16-2024, 04:10 PM

You might consider fabricating the sails from silk span. There's a YouTube video
Old 01-17-2024, 08:37 AM

Several people have suggested making improved sails from scratch. I'm planning on using the kit parts, firstly because there is a printed symbol on the main sail, and the supplied paper is translucent and a good imitation of canvas. I see a lot of ship models that do use cloth but the weave and the stitch lines often look overscale. Besides, there is plenty to do before we get near adding sails.
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2024, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful ship and beautiful build! I've also been wondering about the sails on my Viking Ship, and will look into when I get to that. I've heard of crumpled paper, to canvas. One thing I note, the paper sails included seem shaped to appear full of wind - a feature maybe unique to paper, and not something I am not aware could be done in canvas or anything else. I'd like to hear more about that from those who know!
Old 01-20-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperairforce View Post
Beautiful ship and beautiful build! I've also been wondering about the sails on my Viking Ship, and will look into when I get to that. I've heard of crumpled paper, to canvas. One thing I note, the paper sails included seem shaped to appear full of wind - a feature maybe unique to paper, and not something I am not aware could be done in canvas or anything else. I'd like to hear more about that from those who know!

JSC provide a diagram suggesting how to set the sails at beam reach, with all canvas up.
The thin paper they provide for the sails and smaller parts is some kind of wonder material which seems impervious to creasing, tearing or glue soaking.

I'm very nearly at the end of the 'deck' stage of the build, with the windlass, mooring bollards and the central boom support in place. All that remains is to create and install the pin racks and bend the wire hooks to shape. After that, a little break to build a Short Stirling.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:57 AM

Beautiful work on the deck furniture.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Would be great to see some pics?

Regards,
Alan
Old 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Would be great to see some pics?

Regards,
Alan

Not given up on this but need smaller projects too. I've been doing aircraft builds including Tex's Stirling test in the last months and the only things I've added to Pogoria recently are some of the pin rails. Currently working out a way to make the masts.
Google Adsense

Tags
1/100 scale, jsc, sailing ship