PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-16-2023, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor

Finally, I did the seminal archetype for my riverine gunboats and monitors.

Long time ago, while waiting for some service at home, I built a simple colored version of Louis R. Coatney’s CSS Virginia (ex USS Merrimac). At that time, I also recolored his simple model of the USS Monitor. Yesterday, I couldn’t find a physically or electronic copy in my files of it. Fortunately, the National Marine Sanctuary System of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) had a readily available model already colored. The deck of the Monitor is not much different from Lou’s model, except for the very nice graphics. The main difference is that it has a hull and a displaying base. I took the license of adding a Mayan pyramid on the pilot house just for looks. Despite the nice graphics, while placing both models side by side, I disliked the combined look and just gave them a hand (spray) of black glossy paint.

There are several available physical and downloadable versions of the USS Monitor. Thank you Lou for providing my first free paper models. Here are the relevant links.

Lou Coatney: <b>Free</b> MONITOR and MERRIMAC Game and Models Page

Monitor 150th Anniversary - Education - For Students

Riverine Gunboats and Monitors
Attached Thumbnails
Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-mon-01.jpg   Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-mon-02.jpg   Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-mon-03.jpg   Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-mon-04.jpg   Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-vir-05.jpg  

Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-vir-06.jpg   Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-virmon-07.jpg   Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-virmon-08.jpg   Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-virmon-09.jpg   Lou’s CSS Virginia vs NOAA’s USS Monitor-virmon-10.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2023, 03:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Images from the past! :-)

WOW, w&p, that was a LONG time ago.

I later decided Merrimac (Virginia) wasn't beamy enough, but excellent job on both nonetheless, and I hadn't realized it was the anniversary.
Love the battle settings.

Tusen takk fra Norge (nå)! Monitor was designed (in the nick of time) by someone originally from next door, of course.

GOT to finish my Japanese task force.

... but now that we've got the war winding down, I should have more time to do it ... assuming my eyes haven't deteriorated (but I don't think they have).

Hmm ... And what's new in Downloads? ... it being Christmas.