PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-31-2023, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
USS Oregon hat trick

I started building the USS Oregon from Digital Navy about 10 years ago. I never finished it. So for my New Year resolution I’m going to build all 3 versions, original, Great White Fleet, and combat grey. I’m going to build 2 full hull, one one waterline versions. There are a couple of other build threads on this forum for this ship so I will try not to duplicate their information. I will try some different techniques, beginning with using expanding foam in the hull to prevent tin-canning. First lesson, don’t blow the foam in at full pressure, it will shoot right through the cardstock hull. Just squeeze the dispensing lever a little bit to get just a trickle of the stuff flowing in.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Oregon hat trick-img_7770.jpg   USS Oregon hat trick-img_7772.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2024, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A worthy project. I look forward to seeing these three ships take shape.

Don
Old 01-08-2024, 09:40 PM

Slow progress. I had a problem with painting the hull. I used Krylon triple thick spray paint to seal the hull and fill the gaps. After allowing it to dry and sanding everything smooth I used some Rustoleum red spray paint as the final coat. The two brands were not compatible leaving me with a wrinkled sticky mess. After several attempts to fix this problem it was just getting worse. I finally just ripped out the hull plating to start a new. This was the time that the printer decided to stop working. It took a couple of days to fix it. I figured I might as well prep some future projects that I had printed out so I built up the hull for the Digital Navy USS Arizona and Kooklik’s U-Boat. The printer is finally fixed and new USS Oregon hull plates printed out. Hopefully I can get the project back on schedule soon.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Oregon hat trick-img_7788.jpg  
Old 01-22-2024, 09:14 PM

Slow but steady progress. I added BB-4, the USS Iowa, to the building line. New hulls turned out OK, no starving cow bowing between bulkheads. I’m building the Iowa with a detachable lower hull so it can be displayed as full hull or waterline. Lower section attached with small magnets around the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Oregon hat trick-img_7804.jpg   USS Oregon hat trick-img_7806.jpg   USS Oregon hat trick-img_7799.jpg  
Old 01-24-2024, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
An ambitious project and can appreciate your persistence despite the setbacks. I like the magnet tip.
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2024, 06:30 PM

More slow progress, working on the casemate guns. I realized that while I’m constructing the Oregons, my shipyard is vulnerable to attack by the Spanish Armada. So I decided to build up the USS Arkansas for port protection.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Oregon hat trick-img_7811.jpg   USS Oregon hat trick-img_7812.jpg   USS Oregon hat trick-img_7817.jpg   USS Oregon hat trick-img_7831.jpg   USS Oregon hat trick-img_7832.jpg  

Old 02-16-2024, 09:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding work on this set of triplets.

Don
Old 02-22-2024, 05:02 PM

I’ve been working on the USS Arkansas for the past week. I’m not too impressed with this Modelik kit. I shrunk it down 80% to match the USS Oregons, but it still looks a bit over scale. I trashed the USS Oregon original paint scheme (buff) model. Painting the lower hull I messed up the white sides. I also damaged the main deck. But the nice thing about paper models is if you mess up, just print out another copy. So this version is a bit behind schedule compared tonthe other two versions. The new hull looks much better than the old one. The Great White Fleet and camo grey versions have had most of their main deck fittings installed. Next I will work on the main turrets.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Oregon hat trick-img_7846.jpg   USS Oregon hat trick-img_7848.jpg  
Old 03-03-2024, 01:33 PM

Just a quick update. The original (buff) color model is back up to speed. One minor flaw, one of the 6” gun bases (the small turrets) is not colored on sheet 8. I just printed out another copy to get all four bases the same color. Other than that I’ve had no problems with the kits. On with the build.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Oregon hat trick-img_7852.jpg  
Old 03-03-2024, 04:11 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice looking fleet.
Google Adsense