PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-23-2024, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi

This is my presentation of the Kaga from Dom Bogami. I have the laser cut frames, major time savings. The model is printed very dark, difficult to see the fold lines and any real detail. I will paint the ship dark gull grey on the vertical surfaces to bring out the detail.

These instructions are extremely lacking with minimal images to show how the ship goes together, maybe the worse I've seen. The bow needs to be built before the framing is completed, I missed this bur was able to slide it in. hard to explain, but trust me, this model leaves a lot of guessing.

I added internal trusses to hold balsa planks for the lower hull. Will sand it then plate it. This is the first time I traced out the bulkheads to create a contoured gluing surface for the planks.

Easily the most difficult build including Yuri Gagarin I have attempted yet.

I will be doing a build of the Angraf/Answer Akagi as well (not started yet). Will be able to give a side by side assembly critique on both, however I have never been disappointed with the Angraf kits yet.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4440.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4441.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4442.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4443.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4444.jpg  

IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4475.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4476.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4477.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4478.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4479.jpg  

IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4483.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4482.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4480.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4481.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2024, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.83 MB
i've always wanted to see someone build these models and it looks like it's going to look really good in the end . good luck
Old 04-02-2024, 03:18 PM

Progress from a couple weekends ago. The hull shape seems to be taking shape quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4484.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4485.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4486.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4487.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4488.jpg  

Old 04-15-2024, 04:44 PM

Lower hull sheathed. some minor filling and sanding are due. Glad I paint anyway but each page of the hull plates is a different shade and obvious at that. The fit is excellent but quality of color control is dubious at best.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4601.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4602.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4603.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4604.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4605.jpg  

IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4606.jpg  
Old Today, 06:51 AM

Filled with drywall filler and sanded. The hull is a simpler form making this process easy. Added the aft hanger door framing. The fit was no great, had to cut it into 3 pieces to install. Not shown here but looks good post paint.
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4667.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4666.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4660.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4661.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4662.jpg  

IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4663.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4664.jpg   IJN Kaga - Dom Bomagi-img_4665.jpg  
Google Adsense