PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic - an excellent primer for those interested in the sailing rigs of Canada and New England. The "Thayer" restoration is a thing of beauty. Most people do not realize the complexity of a large wooden-hulled sailing ship and the "Thayer" site should be a real eye opener
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Whoa, Glen!

What an EXCELLENT project!

This will be a very instructive and interesting build, using Chapelle's plans to create what will surely be a very beautiful sailing ship.

I can't wait to see her take shape!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Thanks for the kind encouragement yu'all. Much appreciated, I hope this will come together, still lots to figure out. Jim I'm glad you like the plan, it was exciting for me to dream it, so now to see if it can be done! Having built a "wood" sailing ship as Cleo makes it seem not so hard, but of course it took me a long time to get as far as I have with that model. Working today too, so no progress except research and looking at lots of ship pictures....
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very good work on the hull, Glen!!! It looks quite big - how did you say, 200 ft originally...1/96...wow. I canīt wait next progress

Jan
Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Thank you Jan! Will hope to show progress soon. This ship was 1,200 tons, over 200 ft at waterline. She was big for a wood ship. I'm not sure what the overall length will be yet! Or height, I may not have a place to put it!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Planking went better than hoped, with thin posterboard used so could plank full length. Also studied the C A Thayer's planking and noted the narrowing of bow planks very noticable, so duplicated that as the similarities in hull shape are significant. This helped to avoid crowding of the planks at the bow, and the only modifications needed were the garboard planks along the keel, which are pretty much individually fitted
and adding some "let in" planks at the sternpost. Have made the stem and keel, the keel more stubborn than expected, but with clamping to keep it straight finally worked out. the stem was white card so temp colored black with acrylics, have some trimming to do before the final paint, and have to get more sheets of posterboard (99 cents office depot) it's slightly thicker than 110 card, and works well for the long peices I need. Cutting it with a large papercutter used for cutting mat board.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2782.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2785.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2786.jpg
Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Glen, what was her color scheme?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 AM

Hey Fred, black hull with white trim natural decks (pitched) hull not coppered many painted dark red below the waterline (all?) with copper paint. White trim strip running length of ship white scrollwork on bow name in gold leaf on bow and quarters.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
She would not be coppered. White cabins? It sounds like she will be beautiful.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Right, white cabins, but such a large ship forward cabin low to deck from side view, and about level with focs'l. Rear cabin under poop deck, just a couple door cabins and decklight. Rear rail white with turned railing, boat on davits at stern. Hall ships were noted in their day for their attractiveness and workmanship, although they shared lots of design similarities. I'm still unsure of the set up for the boom traveller on the schooner rigs as is almost always non vis in photos (lumber haulers) I may have to interpret some details...