PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just a footnote: worked on the frame some yesterday, had to visist the Hospital this morning and hope to get back to the frame this evening. But other wise, I wish all a Blessed and Happy New Year.

Rick
Old 12-31-2010, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hope all is well with you, Rick. Best wishes and many productive hours of paper model building in the New Year.

Don
Old 01-01-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Hope all is well with you, Rick. Best wishes and many productive hours of paper model building in the New Year.

Don
Thanks as always for you kindness my dear friend, I am well, I seem to have developed a little thing called Bronchitis. I thought I just had a bad cough that would not go away, wifey made me go and get checked out after a week of hacking! Got a surprise when the doctor asked how long have I smoked cigarettes, I laughed and said I had never in my life smoked. His reply was then I was another victim of 2nd Hand smoke. He went thru my History and seemed, that since I was born, I have been exposed to 2nd hand smoke in one way or the other and for my generation, it is showing up more and more for my age group!

He said what had been done was done and I would be OK, but I would deal with Bronchitis for the rest of my life.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Rick,

So sorry to hear about your Bronchitis, my old Dad had Emphysema from a life long smoking habit that finally got him. I quit right after my heart issues cropped up and never looked back. Take it easy and get rested up, I look forward to seeing more on your project here.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
Hi Rick,

So sorry to hear about your Bronchitis, my old Dad had Emphysema from a life long smoking habit that finally got him. I quit right after my heart issues cropped up and never looked back. Take it easy and get rested up, I look forward to seeing more on your project here.
Thanks Jay for your kind words . I know this is going to sound crazy, but the Kersaint is back in dry dock. I boxed as far as I was going to go and removed from the glass sheet in prep for the skins. In doing so, I just do not like how the frame looked, so you guessed it, back to re-lamination and a new frame again and this time I am going f/a full hull, laminated to balsa formers like PaperFan does it, and then using the trick I saw you do, fill the frame w/balsa blocks and shape to contour of the hull. What keeps getting me is the bow and the stern, they have been bears, this will be the 3rd time for the frame, but I will not give up on her, I love French Warships and this is a monster vessel f/a Destroyer. So to be honest, I have boxed back up and started work on another French vessel for the time. One not so large and quite a bit earlier in French design. So watch, should post a new thread soon. I know!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Keep at it, Rick.

Your persistant work on the Kersaint frame reminds me of Barry's endeavors with Richelieu. I look forward to you intermediate French warship and the eventual appearance of the new and improved Kersaint.

Courage, mon cher ami. Forge that thunderbolt!

Don
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Rick,

Lets see, that wouldn't be a 1/250 scale French warship that starts with an "L" and ends with a "ier" would it. LOL

I think that when you get back around to the Kersaint, if you can keep the hull formers and bulkheads nice and straight then fill it up with balsa wood blocks, sanding them down to the levels of the formers and bulkheads will almost guarantee the proper shape to the bow and stern. With the IJN Mutsuki hull, I managed to get that nice rounded shape to the front and pinched in sides below the decks just by doing that, following the tops of the formers and bulkheads as I sanded it smooth.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM

Boy nobody can get one by you Jay, you got it right, Lavoisier is in the build dock right now. I read your thread on using the balsa blocks for the IJN vessel frame, and you know exactly what is bugging me, that pinched/clipper bow is not going to happen if I do not have something for the skin to set against to get that sleek shape, then you got that nice fat round rump @ the stern, again, balsa filler will do the job. So yea again, I will tackle the frame, but right now my interest are else where/or should I say another fine lady of the seas.

Rick
Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Bronchitis nearly got me when I was 8 - my grandmothers were taking turns with my distraught mom and dad ... Dr. Burgess was making house calls and having grave conversations with my parents away in the kitchen ... the Rock Island IL public librarians even allowed Mom to check out the RIPL's reference copy of Jane's Fighting Ships 1950 ... Richelieu was my favorite ... see RL Stevenson's Land of Counterpane poem - and it has been my ticking croc (as in Peter Pan) ever since, attacking with ever (with age) increasing frequency and severity ... and now, because of my wife and our 2 yr old son and baby daughter, I live in NORWAY.

There are 3 or 4 progressive respiratory diseases/conditions like this: chronic bronchits, emphysema, lung cancer, and something starting with a K.

1. Get plenty of rest, so your immunity doesn't run down, and eat nutritious foods. Don't let it get you started coughing: gargle warm salt water and get good cough drops - Ricola cherry honey works best for me.

2. I understand that antibiotics are ineffective against bronchitis - check with your doctor on this! - so don't ruin your receptiveness to them (for when you do need them) by getting/using them unnecessarily. Supposedly, it isn't contagious, but ....

3. Severely cold dry air triggers attacks, so stay out of it as much as you can. When the bronchitis is attacking, don't drink or eat anything cold down into you.

4. When temperatures are moderate and you are well, do respiratory exercise to build up your lungs ... like jogging, cross-country skiing, and/or vigorous walking.

5. Don't fall on the Norwegian ice and get 4 broken ribs like I did Christmas 2007. Injury triggers bronchitis attacks which can slide into (fatal) pneumonia, and they work together: coughing aggravates the injury, and the injury stimulates the disease.

6. In December 2007, I e-mailed with the leading authority in the world on spitum, a medical faculty member in England. Get the crud out of you any way you can: use a vaporizer (or long hot shower) to get warm moisture into your lungs to loosen it up, turn your torso upside down as far as you can to help it drain, and spit it out. Do NOT swallow it back: it is sticky and will re-glom with what is still there. Yellow crud is typical. Green and even gray crud is much more serious, as is blood. Brown crud may mean dried blood and/or that you are healing and it is breaking up.

With experience, you'll be able to tell whether the bronchitis is still up in your bronchial tubes or is descending into pneumonia in your lungs.

Fever is typically deceivingly moderate, but don't let anyone talk down the seriousness of this.

Again, GET REST and good luck!

Last edited by LouCoatney; 01-05-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Hello Lou, I am touched by your kindness and in-sight into this ailment.

I will certainly follow your wise advise, and feel like I have been to Dr. Lou

Know you have made a friend.

Rick