PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
In 1968 I built a plastic Cutty Sark. It came with chains for the anchors, but they were out of scale and looked terrible. I went down to a "ten cent store" which I suppose would be like a "dollar store" today, and bought cheap chains in a variety of sizes. I don't know if such are still available today, if so, they would be ideal for something like the Victory.

Let me add my admiration for the magnificent work you've done. I've shown it to a few people, including the owner of the plastic modeling store in El Cajon, California, and they are always impressed beyond measure.

Garland
Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
The best way to find threads of different thicknesses is to introduce yourself to tailors, seamstresses, upolstery (furniture) and carpet repair shops in your area and ask where they get their thread or cord.

Bring a portable sample of your work so they will see that you are not planning on becoming a competitor. Sometimes they tell you to get lost, but sometimes they will tell where you they order their threads from, or they might even give or sell you spools they consider almost used up, but which still have a lot of thread for a modeler.

Another place to find cord is jewelery supply stores which supply various diameters of cord for stringing beads.

Also you can twist up your own line or cable from thinner thread. If you can get four or five meshing gears you can build a "rope walk".

http://www.densmodelships.zoomshare.com/2.html
http://mysite.verizon.net/ELLshipmodeler/ropewalk.htm
www.modelshipwrightsdatabase.com/Articles/SpecialtyTools.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ropewalk
http://www.scale-modelers-handbook.c...-material.html
http://www.naturecoast.com/hobby/ms110.htm
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...-ropewalk.html

Actually you do not even need a rope walk, only a hand drill and a couple of hooks is all that is needed to make a four strand rope. Unless someone looks really closely they are not going to be able to tell if it is three or four strand. If you do not have a drill a stick and a piece of flat wood with a hole in it will be enough to twist rope.

Run a strand between a hook attached to a wall or post and a hook in the drill chuck. The thread should be about 4 1/2 times longer than the finished length your need. Twist it until it wants to kink. Unhook the far end put the middle in the hook on the wall, and attach both free ends to the hook on the drill, so you have two strands. Do that again so there are four strands between hook and drill, and then twist the drill in the opposite direction until you have a tight length of cable. Cut the ends free from the hooks, knot the ends so they do not unravel, and hang the cable with a light weight on its end until it is stable.

The web sites below show variations of how to do it with yarn.

Twisted Cord - Make a Twisted Cord - Twisted Cord for Knitting Projects
Knitting at Knoon Designs - Twisted Cord
How To Make Twisted Cord

Any way if you have a long enough space and a friend to help keep your cord from getting tangled when you double and twist it it, you can make almost any diameter of cable starting with thin threads. You do not even need a drill, you can loop your strings around a stick and rotate the stick.

I think your models are great, and I am hoping that one day you will post a series on how to plan and build a ship model starting from wood pulp and earth pigments!!

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 04-24-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
The rope walk for model purposes is presented here: DENS MODEL SHIPS : ROPEWALK Really nice way to get the kind of ropes one needs. Especially the heavier and thicker ones. John's advices are exellent too.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you very much, dear friends, for your comments and useful advices, you helped me a lot. I re-made threads and twisted up new ones. Now I think it looks better and more accurately. Last two photos display comparison of threads thickness.
These are last photos of Victory without sails, next time the ship will have complete sails and rigging. I´m looking forward to this part of process.

Have I nice time!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:51 AM

Way to go Doris and thourh I'm a bit partial I must say 'Old Vic' looks now more impressive with proper cables. Can't wait to see her in full sail!

BTW Doris and Jan, here's a link to a french site of talented model builder Olivier Bello. I hope this is new to you http://www.arsenal-modelist.com/index.php?page=accueil (look at how he makes his sails http://www.arsenal-modelist.com/inde...sories&part=37 ).

Last edited by Tapcho; 04-25-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-25-2010, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Chains are not correct for this period. The ropes look fine. Doris' rope work around the anchor ring is correct, too. Work of a skill to make us all envious...
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM

Chain vs. rope cable I agree, chains fastening anchors in position while sailing I disagree. :-)
Old 04-26-2010, 05:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Its just that reliable anchor chain was not available to the Admiralty until the 1830s, too late for Doris, otherwise I agree with you. Once good chain was available, the swithover was very fast.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello dear friends!
I am grateful for your useful subjects and advices. Thank you a lot!
I have just started to hang sails, all of them are quilted by thin threads and coloured and impregnated by tea and starch. Sails are hanging only provisionally and without rigging until later. First I am going to make all sails and after that I´ll start with details. Here are first sails:

Old 04-30-2010, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Beautiful of course! The main top looks nice from below viewing the catharpins and nice work on the masthead. Sails are a great touch although alot of work....