PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-22-2010, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'll post some pics of my Raubvogel some time, maybe tonight.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Looking forward to seeing them.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 PM

New Mystery Ship :-)

I began this last Christmas and finally have taken the time to complete it.

This prototype is somewhere between 1:300 and 1:350 scale - the size of the prototype is ultimately determined by me being limited to legal size cardstock over here in Norway so far.

I have now so far designed World War 2 cruisers and/or destroyers for the U.S., Britain, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, and Norway.

Again, someone with better building skills could do a better job. The problem with the canting of the torpedo tubes has since been solved, I think.

This ship survived many battles and was famous for doing so - until she was sunk.

My simple cardstock model ship designs.-mysteryship5a2.jpg

My simple cardstock model ship designs.-mysteryship5b2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
My simple cardstock model ship designs.-mysteryship5a.jpg   My simple cardstock model ship designs.-mysteryship5b.jpg  

Last edited by LouCoatney; 11-26-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Hmmm...... Japanese, either Hatsuharu or Shiratsuyu class, a "Survivor," but one that didn't survive the war. Sounds like HIJMS Shigure. At one point part of a division commanded by the author Tameichi Hara ("Japanese Destroyer Captain"). See also here. The IJN's other "lucky" ship was HIJMS Yukikaze, which was of different design and which survived the war.

That's a fine model - I'm hoping some day to reach the point where I can do my own like it.... I've quite a ways to go yet.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
PS - Yes my university major was Japanese Naval History. (I was in NROTC). However, my alma mater showed why I could do such an unusual major - we had no sports. Saturday, our football team lost to the University of Wisconsin on national TV, 70-23. OUCH! That's a basketball score - not football!

Our cheerleaders were good at cheers like:
"That's all right! That's ok! You'll all work for us someday!"
Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Enough cruisers and destroyers for now. I'm designing a couple battleships and then will do a largely undone carrier.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 PM

I'm going to start doing something, and I wonder if it's been done before.

For gaming purposes, I've collected already built 1/700 plastic models as well as building my own. A good number of these have been from good friends and in some cases I or my older son have improved them with camouflage painting, etc., but it would be nice to know who built the original models. (Also in my collection is a very good kit-bashed USS Ranger CV-4 from the old MiniModel/ESCI line I got on eBay, and I do wonder who the master modeler was.)

Here is the bottom of the model I am currently test-building. (There is an image there, if you click on it and bring it up.)

My simple cardstock model ship designs.-sangamonnameplate.jpg

Some of these paper card models may well last into the next century, and after all the work of building them ... even from my relatively simple designs ... I would think the modeler would want his work remembered/identified.

So, has anyone else seen "nameplates" like this on other paper models ... or any models?

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 PM

My bigger-than-life dad - who enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Forces 2 months before Pearl Harbor and rose to the rank of sergeant major in China-Burma-India - admired the British and used to say how "subtle" they were.

Well, let me tell you that I have HAD it with the "subtlety" of the various curves, inclines, and apertures of the Royal Navy's twin 4.7" gun turret, which festooned the Tribal and J/K/N class British destroyers.

Fortunately, I have about 4 different excellent sources, but Hodges and Friedman's Destroyer Weapons of World War 2 certainly isn't one of them, and its computer drawings of the turret seem downright misleading.

Anyway, back to the drawing screen ....
Old 06-21-2011, 04:23 PM

Suggested guntube diameters:

1/700-1/720: 4-5" guns, 0.025" plastic rod; 5.25"-6" guns, .030"; 8" guns, .035"; 11-14" guns, .040"; 15-18" guns, .045"

1/1200-1250: 4-5" guns, 0.015"; 5.25"-6" guns, .020"; 8-11" guns, .025"; higher, .030” rod
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCoatney View Post
I'm going to start doing something, and I wonder if it's been done before.

For gaming purposes, I've collected already built 1/700 plastic models as well as building my own. A good number of these have been from good friends and in some cases I or my older son have improved them with camouflage painting, etc., but it would be nice to know who built the original models. (Also in my collection is a very good kit-bashed USS Ranger CV-4 from the old MiniModel/ESCI line I got on eBay, and I do wonder who the master modeler was.)

Here is the bottom of the model I am currently test-building. (There is an image there, if you click on it and bring it up.)

Attachment 74927

Some of these paper card models may well last into the next century, and after all the work of building them ... even from my relatively simple designs ... I would think the modeler would want his work remembered/identified.

So, has anyone else seen "nameplates" like this on other paper models ... or any models?

Thanks.
I've seen "nameplates" like these on the bases of figure models, as well as on display bases for aircraft, tanks, vehicles, and ships.
What I've noticed though, is that many builders of a particular model don't include them, for some reason.

Perhaps it might be a politely requested condition of making them available as a free download, as you have done with your other models?
I know there is no practical way to physically enforce compliance, but I'd think most would go-along with being asked to include your "nameplate" as designer of the model in question, because they are, after all, receiving the model for free.

Suggestion offered with much Respect.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Google Adsense