PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
really nice work silveroxide, all you need now is one or two paper horses to pull the buggy
/Håkan
Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
The buggy

One of the main reasons I am making these carriages, is that there seems to be a lack of them in the modeling world. So here are a few more pics. Using my plans to fix the axle supports.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-016.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-017.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-018.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-019.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-020.jpg  

Old 08-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
One of the main reasons I am making these carriages, is that there seems to be a lack of them in the modeling world. So here are a few more pics. Using my plans to fix the axle supports.
You know, I just for the first time realized you said your plans, so not only are you a craftsman builder, but an accomplished draftsman as well. Boy, some people get all the talent!!!!!!!!!!!!:DRick PS: Are you going to market any of the carriages ?????????
Old 08-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Eternal Member

The buggy

This buggy is easier than the Stage Coach and les details. I got the plans laid out but this build is still a beta. I am adding more details to the plans as i go along. The Canopy lay out is one major detail I have to add to the plans. I had to build the box first to see how the frame work would go on. I must have over 80 pictures of different buggies to use as reference. The plans that I sent out for was a one side drawing which ticked me off but I used the wheel reference for the spoke placements.

Here are a few reference pics. Mine has a little of each.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-veh_a55.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-veh_a23.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-veh_ap5.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-veh_ap24.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-veh_a61.jpg  

Old 08-17-2009, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Are you creating the parts in some sort of 3-d program? or are you designing the parts (as I suspect) the old-fashioned way? Would you be interested in explaining your design process a little?

And by the way, I'll bet you could hook up a team of guinea pigs and they'd pull it just fine. : )

David
Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Eternal Member

QUOTE: Papercut.You know, I just for the first time realized you said your plans, so not only are you a craftsman builder, but an accomplished draftsman as well. Boy, some people get all the talent!!!!!!!!!!!!:DRick PS: Are you going to market any of the carriages ?????????

If and when I make it available, it will be in white. This is due to the heavy lamination and each buggy is usually painted to the owners whim. This buggy will be painted a green with yellow trim, almost like a John Deere color scheme. Once I complete the build I will work on refining the sketches. The problem right now with the Stage Coach is that while I did the major schematics, it is the added details that are giving me grief to add them to the plans. I also have a Conestoga in the fire waiting to be built also. I am still gathering info for that one. Other build that I have in mid is also that Amish Buggy as well as the Tourist Coach that you see downtown Philadelphia and at Central Park NYC.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Eternal Member

The buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
Are you creating the parts in some sort of 3-d program? or are you designing the parts (as I suspect) the old-fashioned way? Would you be interested in explaining your design process a little?

And by the way, I'll bet you could hook up a team of guinea pigs and they'd pull it just fine. : )

David

I am doing it the old fashion way, Ruler, pencil, eraser, protractor and lots of pics. I do have an advantage in that I have a penchant for drawing and painting and still have in my memory all of my drafting abilities from my college days. back then, all work was done by hand and blue pencil on graph paper. I do have some CAD programs but I tend to draw faster by hand than with multiple layers of CGs. I feel more comfortable with a ruler in my hand.

Here is a picture as to where I am at now with the model. Build will resume next posting.

As for a team, I was thinking of a pack of Chihuahuas or maybe G-Force, but the dogs are hard to train and the hamster like to chew on paper.:D
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-061.jpg  

Last edited by silveroxide; 08-17-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That is one beautiful model!

With regard to your earlier comment about Amish buggies: There are few Amish in Carlisle, but there are lots of Amish buggies east of here, toward Lancaster. Let me know if you come up north to do research. It would be nice to meet you. You might like to stop by the Army Heritage and Education Center and Gettysburg while here.

On the way, you might also like to stop by the Smithsonian in D.C. The Postal Museum has a wonderful mail coach, not unlike your stage coach, as well as a full-sized DH-4 maiplane, a Stinson Reliant, and several models relating to the history of the Postal Service.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 08-17-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Don. I have a cousin that lives about 30 miles west of Lancaster. If I should be in the area I will give you a PM. Also my mother is now living in New Jersey and there is a carriage factory on U.S. 70 that makes Amish looking buggies as well.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Eternal Member

The buggy

In the making of the plans for the carriages, I have been using photos and tracing out the outlines and then breaking the sections apart with cut and paste until I get the desired results. Then I pencil trace them and add in some of the missing details. Or use clear acetate and trace them with permanent ink markers (.005). The carriages are rather boxy in nature and it makes for good replication. Now as for scale, I sort of eyeball it using a known reference point. In this case I use the wheels from the stage coach and work from there, I know that they are at approximately 1/16 scale. I may do a tutorial on this sometime in the future. This method works well with flat surface items but it is hard with compounded curves.

On with the build. Finishing off the suspension system and using a guide for the space need to place the box later on. I almost forgot to place the center pole/spar. This section is thinner in shape and sometimes it is another tubular pipe. If I were to make this out of wood I would have used either a wooden dowel or a thin copper tubing. I made it thick for strength and rigidity.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-022.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-023.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-024.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-025.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-026.jpg  

Google Adsense