PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Pond Racer

The Pond Racer is almost finished and I should be back on track with the Horse drawn carriages series.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Eternal Member

Conestoga/Prairie Schooner/Covered wagon.

While researching info for the wagon, I ran into questions. The Conestoga was built in different ways by different makers but were considered Conestogas. Some of them were really farm hay wagons converted into moving vans. Some had opening tail and front gates (opened at both ends.) Some had only tailgates and some had riders bench up front. The wagons came in different sizes, from the size of a regular farm wagon to the large oversize house on wheels. The prairie schooner is to be a representation of the Conestoga wagon but with a smaller body. Some wagons had that tell tale mark of the curved bed and some were straight with the curvature on the side railings. But they were all festooned with the traditional Canvas covering that extended front and rear. Then there is the covered wagon which is a smaller wagon with the canvas coming up the sides and not extending past the front and rear.

With that out of the way, I will attempt to make one with a bench seat up front and opening rear tail gate.

I started with the main body. Sandwiched a side template with large board laminates on both sides which will give the side a depth feel to it. The same is done with the floor/deck. Sandwiched a template between slats to give the wooden floor and depth of wood.

Constructed a jig to place the walls and floor in to maintain the shape while waiting for the glue to set.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-wagon-wheel_2068_13536080.jpg   Conestoga-mvc-523f.jpg   Conestoga-48.jpg   Conestoga-001.jpg   Conestoga-002.jpg  

Conestoga-003.jpg   Conestoga-004.jpg   Conestoga-005.jpg   Conestoga-006.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Eternal Member

Here is a picture of The Pond Racer, the culprit that kept me from building the Conestoga sooner.

And now on with the show and tell.

Built up the sides and placed the outside ribbing. Next posting will be on the hinges and tail ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-168.jpg   Conestoga-007.jpg   Conestoga-008.jpg   Conestoga-009.jpg   Conestoga-010.jpg  

Conestoga-011.jpg   Conestoga-012.jpg   Conestoga-013.jpg   Conestoga-014.jpg   Conestoga-015.jpg  

Conestoga-016.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Eternal Member

And now for the hinge mechanisms. You can also follow my hinge design in my previous thread "Another Horse Carriage". Next posting will be the Ramp mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-017.jpg   Conestoga-018.jpg   Conestoga-019.jpg   Conestoga-020.jpg   Conestoga-021.jpg  

Conestoga-022.jpg   Conestoga-023.jpg   Conestoga-024.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
I'm looking forward to this one also, silveroxide. Your wagon will surely be nice.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
I'm looking forward to this one also, silveroxide. Your wagon will surely be nice.
Thanks Birder, You know that the wagon ruts on the trail west are still visible through some parts of the western states? I seen them when I went through Wyoming. There are signs stating the route of the Oregon trail.

many Conestogas were built to the customers specification. What the buyer could afford. Some had spring loaded beds. But the one that was most used was the simplest one, no added options. Two sides, front and back and a big empty bed/Box. In the migration to the west, when they arrived at their destination, Many were sold to the mining companies. The fancy ones were to fragile for the work, they preferred the rugged simple ones. They were easier to maintain.

While many were pulled by oxen, Horses and mules were also used. One of the problems when driving a mixed draft animal teams, was that the horses and mules kept pulling ahead of the oxen causing an accordion effect. While the oxen were slower, they were more sure footed and steady for the long run. An added bonus was that the Indians like to steal the horses but left the cattle alone.

So on with the show. I used chains for the tail gate but Ropes were also used more extensively. I used a paper clip to manufacture a locking mechanism and a cradle for the locking arms.

The next posting will be in a few days, I have to catch up on the photos and in editing them. See you all shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-024.jpg   Conestoga-025.jpg   Conestoga-026.jpg   Conestoga-027.jpg   Conestoga-028.jpg  

Conestoga-029.jpg   Conestoga-030.jpg   Conestoga-031.jpg   Conestoga-032.jpg   Conestoga-033.jpg  

Conestoga-034.jpg   Conestoga-035.jpg   Conestoga-036.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Can't wait to see the finished product. This is a an amazing revival of history. Museum quality work worthy of public viewing. After seeing your work first hand, I feel very comfortable saying this on this site. Hope you start somthing here.:D:D:D:D:D
Old 09-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Adama View Post
Can't wait to see the finished product. This is a an amazing revival of history. Museum quality work worthy of public viewing. After seeing your work first hand, I feel very comfortable saying this on this site. Hope you start something here.:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for the comment Husker.

More on the Conestoga. Making of the side box and barrel. These items will be placed on later after the paint job. This my technique for the making of the barrel. It is more sturdy and I won't crush the sides with my handful of thumbs.

Again as in previous models, I do not worry about smudges on the work. This will be taken care of later in the painting and weathering.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-037.jpg   Conestoga-038.jpg   Conestoga-039.jpg   Conestoga-040.jpg   Conestoga-041.jpg  

Conestoga-042.jpg   Conestoga-043.jpg   Conestoga-044.jpg   Conestoga-045.jpg   Conestoga-046.jpg  

Conestoga-047.jpg   Conestoga-048.jpg   Conestoga-049.jpg   Conestoga-050.jpg   Conestoga-051.jpg  

Conestoga-052.jpg   Conestoga-053.jpg   Conestoga-054.jpg   Conestoga-055.jpg  
Old 09-12-2009, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Hi Silveroxide,
Bravo! Your model is excellent.
Moreover, any constructive solutions are valid for any model (this is very instructive).
Thank you.

Orazio
Old 09-12-2009, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice, I like the tailgate and barrel, will have to make a few small barrels myself and this should work for any scale.