PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Silveroxides Projects

Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Conestoga

The next horse/ox drawn wagon will be the Conestoga

"Did you ever hear about sweet Betsy from Pike.
Who rode the wide prairie with her lover Ike.
With two yokes of oxen, a brown spotted horse,
A tall shanghai rooster and an old yellow dog."

here is a pic of the next candidate.....
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-wagon-wheel_2068_7327166.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent. I think the Civil War era Army supply wagons were similar?

Don
Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I did some research once on those wagons used for the westward migration in the USA during the 19th century and found that most were pulled by oxen, and the people walked most of the way. Whoda thunk it, especially based on movies and TV.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Excellent. I think the Civil War era Army supply wagons were similar?

Don

The Supply wagon is on my list. It was smaller and used the same framework as the chuck wagon. Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-p1170314.jpg   Conestoga-p1170321l.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
I did some research once on those wagons used for the westward migration in the USA during the 19th century and found that most were pulled by oxen, and the people walked most of the way. Whoda thunk it, especially based on movies and TV.

Looking at the pics, the brake handle was to the rear and it was applied when stopped to camp for the night. I was searching for this trivia because there was no brake handle next to the front bench seat and I finally found it next to the rear wheel on the right side.
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Wasn't just in the 19th century. My grandmother (only about 4 or 5 years old at the time) immigrated to Idaho in 1904 in a Conestoga wagon. I'll have to dig out my mom's geniology stuff...there might be a photo of the wagon.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Just saw the brake handle chat....absolutely right, usually on the rear axle. Good reason for it....the best leverage on the handle was obtained by someone standing outside the wagon....and, when going downhill, it really was best not to have a wheel located between you and the back of the wagon if it decided to cut loose and descend all by itself. This from by great-grandfather when the family was viewing an episode of wagon train, and he was doing the "that ain't the way it was" rant.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Wasn't just in the 19th century. My grandmother (only about 4 or 5 years old at the time) immigrated to Idaho in 1904 in a Conestoga wagon. I'll have to dig out my mom's geniology stuff...there might be a photo of the wagon.

Funny that you wrote that. My grandmother was born in 1897 before she passed away in 2002, I used to remark that when she was born, the mode of transportation back then was the horse and carriage. Heck, we were still fighting the Apaches in the Southwest. She was blessed to have seen the History that changed this nation. From bows and arrows to the first man in space. From steam power, kerosene power, gasoline power Coal power, to Atomic power. Very few can attest to the fact that they were three century babies. My sister has most of those old pictures of the days when women dressed in long dresses and bustles. The buggy was an everyday conveyance. and milk was not homogenized. Heck... Teddy Roosevelt, was still a rough rider!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Silveroxide, I followed your other wagon design/builds and forgot to ask what scale they are.

If they are 1/35 and a couple of other standard scales, animals are available for those who wish to "mount 'em up."
Old 08-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
Silveroxide, I followed your other wagon design/builds and forgot to ask what scale they are.

If they are 1/35 and a couple of other standard scales, animals are available for those who wish to "mount 'em up."
I could make them smaller but they look much better at this scale. They are approximately 1/16 scale. I found some horses that approximate this but they are at a 5-7 dollars apiece and I am going to need a lot of them if I keep going at this rate. I found a couple of horses from the Limbergh Artillery piece at a flea market for $2.00, and I am considering making a mold later on and making them out of liquid paper but I have to design a wire frame for the legs so as to hold the weight.
Google Adsense