PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > Site News

Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
While it might be true that any password can be cracked by brute force, it requires an unlimited number of attempts. In the case of our forum, they have 5 tries before their ip is blocked for 15 minutes. So if you use a decent password you should be safe.

Jason
Old 03-11-2015, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.29 MB
More notifications of failed attempts. Whomever this is sure is persistent. nThe 5 tries and locked out is a great help to us all. My thanx to PaperModelers for using this method to help keep all of us safe.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
I would like to know if our profile page can be seen by non-members. The reseason I ask is because what if the hackers are not after models but member names and cities where they live. It would not be too hard to get phone numbers, and try scamming calls to the members. I am going to remove my name and place where I live. I am not being unfriendly just carefull.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
I would like to know if our profile page can be seen by non-members. The reseason I ask is because what if the hackers are not after models but member names and cities where they live. It would not be too hard to get phone numbers, and try scamming calls to the members. I am going to remove my name and place where I live. I am not being unfriendly just carefull.
Didn't think about this myself until I read your post. Quite possible....I'll let Jason know. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Facilitator

Yes, if someone can guess your password then they have access to your account. Much like if they guess your password to your banking website or pin number for that matter. The key is to actually have a password that is not easy to guess. Unlike other websites we only keep your name, phone number and email. Scammers do not need your name or number or where you live as that information is free on the internet in most cases.

Jason
Google Adsense
Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 AM

Do members who have been posting, and doing build threads have greater download capabilities than someone who just joined and have posted 10 times? I am asking because the staff should or would have unlimited making them prime targets, but because there is always somebody on staff on here at any given time, then the next logical people to hack would be long time members if they have a greater download privileges.

I ask because I received an e-mail saying that someone tried to hack my account. Two days later a person called my home with a Chinese accent at least that is what my wife said. He was demanding remote access to my computer using scare tactics. I ran all numbers that day and some were tele-marketers. None were associated with what the person claimed to be.

Just received another call, but nobody was on the line (607-733-1419 Elmira NY). I checked it out, and an article said “I received a call from this number today claiming to be MS Windows support, calling about a problem with my computer. It's the second call of this type I had in 24 hours, the 3rd in a week. Needless to say, this is a scam; I don't even own a Windows computer. It's just a way to try to get credit card info and/or gain remote access to your PC.”Ten more replies on that website said basically the same thing for the same numbers.

Anyway wasn’t sure if the two things were not related, but I thought I would say something on here in case other members receive similar calls.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
You will probably receive that kind of phone call from diferent phone numbers. They spoof the CallerID so it reads whatever they want it to read. I have received phone calls with my name and number showing on the CallerID.

You can register all of your phone numbers with the Do Not Call list, but those scammers ingore that list. You can block the phone number calling you, but they will just change the number.

Another scam making the rounds is for senior citizens to get an alert service and $5000 in free groceries. That is just another phishing scam to get personal and financial information.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Facilitator

Well, the Microsoft scam is the largest scam going in Canada and has been all over the news lately. If you have a phone, they are able to target you. There is no relation to someone failing to guess your password.
As to the downloads there are two groups. Members and people who have only registered. Members are able to download more per day.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM

I wasn't sure, so I had to say something. Thanks for the information. I am just up set because it was more than just "your computer will crash unless you let me remote access it". I said he demanded access or else. I knew the or else was a lie, but my wife who not in great health didn't know, and it almost put her in the hospital. anyway thanks for talking to me. I am just a little emotional right now, so if this is in the wrong place to say this or I said something wrong over look me please.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Facilitator

Yeah, there are lots of scum out there. It is a scam that has been going around and they seem to be stepping it up. A couple weeks ago, they threatened to kill a guy up in Canada if he did not let them access his computer. No one would have believed him if he had not taped the conversation. Here is the link. 'Microsoft tech support' scammer recorded threatening to kill B.C. man
Google Adsense