PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > Site News

Old 08-03-2022, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.52 MB
Hacking password

I don't understand what these people aim at when trying to hack a password on such a forum. Just for fun, as teenagers, or something else I cannot figure out?
Old 08-04-2022, 04:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
I don't understand what these people aim at when trying to hack a password on such a forum. Just for fun, as teenagers, or something else I cannot figure out?

A lot of it is automated. The idea is that if somebody lazy has used the same password on lots of sites then having it might potentially grant access to somewhere that the hacker can make some kind of financial gain. As well as that, the bot likely doesn't care what the site is; if it has a login it's worth trying to crack in.

Most personal information also has a value in the present day, and can be sold for various nefarious purposes ranging for targeted ads to wholesale identity theft.

If this all seems scattergun remember it's the same thinking as putting lots of guns in an aircraft and hoping that if enough rounds are shot in roughly the right direction they might hit something.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 137.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
We have been receiving a lot of attention coming our of China lately. It seems that spam bots have been trying to use brute force to try to crack our members passwords. If you have received a "Failed Login Notification email", then they have tried to hack your account. Please so not worry, the software is responding the way it should. If your password id a good password you have nothing to worry about- the vBulletin software and the 15 minute lockout prevents "brute force" attacks from being successful.

They are probably trying the 5 most common password such as:

1) your username
2) password
3) 1234
4) 12345
5) 123456

If you password is any of the above (or close to it) you should change it to a real password ASAP.If you password is any of the above (or close to it) you should change it to a real password ASAP. Also if you receive any PM's that seem out of the ordinary, please do not open any links and report the PM so we can look into the problem. Thanks.
i have been away for awhile (health reasons concerning my lower back and a few other things that HE put in for fun). I'm back, hello everyone! I do have a question: does anyone have the template or the link for the Warehouse 13 Farnsworth device? the model was dedicated to me, because my father had just died. i've been searching everywhere with no luck. please help me. thank you for reading this.

he
Old 03-12-2024, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 137.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bman View Post
i have been away for awhile (health reasons concerning my lower back and a few other things that HE put in for fun). I'm back, hello everyone! I do have a question: does anyone have the template or the link for the Warehouse 13 Farnsworth device? the model was dedicated to me, because my father had just died. i've been searching everywhere with no luck. please help me. thank you for reading this.

he
i forgot: you can email me at "[email protected]"
Old 03-12-2024, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Otaku Crafts: Warehouse 13 Farnsworth Ornament

Good luck with the health issues
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2024, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Awful reading through this thread seeing the number of deceased members who engaged here.
I know their names pop up in other threads, but to see one after another like this is chilling.

Anyway...back on topic....

Passwords...to make it easier today, many of us use random password generators.
There are apps you can buy that allow you to generate a random password and keep track of it.

But there are also free online services (which is what I use) to create the password.
Just do a Google (or whatever) search for "random password generator".
Like this one: Random Password Generator | Create Strong Passwords | Avast

All you do is enter the length of characters needed (the more the better)
and select the combination of characters required.
Then hit generate.

I suggest you write down the password to remember it, or if you use a password manager like BitWarden, it will allow you to record the password for the site.

Web attacks.
Just recently I've noticed an increase in attempts to get into my Microsoft account.
(I get emails with my "one time passcode", stating that if I didn't request one, to just ignore it. Obviously someone else tried to log into my MS account and a passcode was automatically sent out)

You can check your MS account online and see activity, such as failed log in attempts.
I see half a dozen attempts every week, often from Chinese and Russian sources (but now many other places).
Mostly automated I think.
But the passcode generation means someone requested it (to get in).

I've also noticed in the past few weeks, an increase in rejected registrants trying to sign up at my paper model forum.
Since I manually vet every sign up, I check IPs and Emails against various blacklists and reject/ban them if they show up on any of those lists.

I'm also tough on suspicious User Names...things like "ImAHacker", so be warned. lol.

I changed my MS acct password today, because my standing one didn't seem to work.
Just in case, I changed it.
You can view your log in activity here: Check the recent sign-in activity for your Microsoft account - Microsoft Support
You just have to sign into your MS acct.

Take a look at the number of attempted log ins to my acct in the past couple of weeks.
You'd think I was someone important!

I can click on any of the entries to see more details about exactly where (IP and location) the attempt came from and why it failed (eg incorrect password).
Attached Thumbnails
Illegal Logins / Failed Login Notification notification-ms-facts_1133x800.jpg