PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > Site News

Old 10-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
oh wow! this is great!
I just signed up and I'm looking at the webcam right now!!
the roving reporter idea sounds good.....hehe

not the greatest view...I can see part of a table, some ugly carpet and a few knees.
hopefully the camera can get panned around so we can see some other things?

but its still cool to be there (when we're so far away in reality!)

thanks Rick for setting this up...its great!!

I am gonna keep checking in all day, since I'm here at home!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
The 12th episode of the International Paper Model Convention was a rousing success.

The constant rain during the day put a damper on the attendance, but I do think we had some of our regular visitors come through, and we have some interests from some visitors who might want to display next year.

The Colonel, Don Boose, Old Troll, Cwiokster, KCStephens, Alan Wheeler(wb4jjj), Roman Detyna, rmks2000, Ron Caudillo, Astroboy, modelperry, DrLaser, Bomarc, and I probably forgot some, were all in attendance displaying.
Ok, rmks2000 just came to visit.

Throughout the day, questions were asked, tips were given, ribs were taken and given.
Commitments were made, a Dragon Wagon from GPM was bought, and seriously considered as a new build, that was until said member was given as a prize, the Modelik Scud carrier, which now has been pushed to the top of the build pile, Right Kevin??????...........

I was asked to be the auctioneer for the auction, my nerves held out, which was a good thing.
And we had to go through the big donation pile of kits.
We had everything from simple kits to a B-17 Flying Fortress with wheels and canopy glass.

As I have mentioned a couple of times, this event is the highlight of my social calendar, and it will be next year.

I would encourage those who live within a day's drive of the DC Area, to consider visiting or displaying, would love to have your stuff on display.

Also, you might get to meet some of the designers or publishers of your favorite kits, AG Smith(Dover Pubs), Siegfried Wolters(Wilhelmshaven models), Roman Detyna(Digital Navy), Matt Bergstrom(BuildyourownChicago & BuildyourownNewYorkCity).

Any questions about this year, just ask, I think you will get answers from anyone who has attended.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 10-25-2009, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Throughout the day, questions were asked, tips were given, ribs were taken and given.
Commitments were made, a Dragon Wagon from GPM was bought, and seriously considered as a new build, that was until said member was given as a prize, the Modelik Scud carrier, which now has been pushed to the top of the build pile, Right Kevin??????...........

Any questions about this year, just ask, I think you will get answers from anyone who has attended.

Rick
As a participant this year, I must say it was a pleasure to meet many of the faces behind the screen names and avatars. I was happy to relieve Old Troll of some of his excess kits that he would never build due to his corollary of longevity vs number of kits left to build. (although I have heard it said by a different modeler that the true way of looking at this is that "One is not allowed to pass on from this life until all of his/her unbuilt models are finished")

OK Kevin, here's a friendly challenge, how about you and I have a little mini competition for next year's convention. You pick the kit: Dragon Wagon, Scud, or even the Sherman (even though you have a head start on it). The attendees of next years convention can pick the winner. The winner gets to pick the build subject for the following year. If someone else wants to participate after you pick the project, I'd be OK with that too. what you say?

Greg
Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Some photo's I took yesterday.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1336.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1337.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1338.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1339.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1340.jpg  

2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1341.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1342.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1343.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1344.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1345.jpg  

2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1346.jpg   2009 International Paper Model Convention-dscn1347.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice pics! Thanx for those, my favorite was, among many others, (not at all because I'm biased) Don Boose's Architecture! I love those buildings, do you have any close-ups Don? I would also like some info on them.

Google Adsense
Old 10-25-2009, 12:25 PM

My thanks to all the attendees at this year's convention - you made my first participation at this event a real pleasure! I sold more than I bought, met many of the great people who had just been avatars and e-mail addresses prior to Saturday and got to see some incredible models by some of the world's best. I definitely intend to be at the 2010 convention, hopefully with some of the models I bought this year in a completed condition.

I know there were hundreds of photos taken and hope that others will post them here as Greg has already done.

To the planners and folks who made this such a wonderful experience for me and my wife - congratulations and thank you!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Nice pics! Thanx for those, my favorite was, among many others, (not at all because I'm biased) Don Boose's Architecture! I love those buildings, do you have any close-ups Don? I would also like some info on them.
I agree with Phil. Don we need to see those Architecture builds!!
All the models look great, I am jealous I could not attend, and I need more pictures . . . please.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
The pics of the event look great and an inspiration to keep on cuttin' and gluein'!! Congrats Greg on the ribbons I see there and are those Don's buildings? Very nice! Old Trolls models also look nice on display. Thanks to Rick and Greg for the pics!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
My thanks to all the attendees at this year's convention - you made my first participation at this event a real pleasure!
Ron, I didn't know this was your first IPMC convention too.

As they say "A good time was had by all!" An outstanding event, and it was great meeting all the fine folks in attendance. All the spectacular builds on display made me appreciate the talent and skill that goes on in this hobby. And, no matter how nice models look in photos posted on the net, nothing beats seeing them "up close and personal". The organizers are to be commended for putting on such a great event, and doing it with the same level of enthusiasm and excellence year after year.

I have to say that the evening's events of the banquet, awards, and auction were the highlight for me, as Mr. Wheeler, the Colonel, and "the oldest troll in existence" (as I believe Don puts it), combined with Rick's masterful auctioneering, made for a very memorable night! Kudos to you gentlemen!

As for next year and beyond, as General MacArthur once said "I shall return!"

Mike
Old 10-25-2009, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Sorry I couldn't stay for the dinner/auction, as that's the best part of the convention, but it was great to see everyone again and meet some new folks as well. Also, a thanks to the vendors, hobbyists, and designers for some excellent deals. The ecarmodels CD has to be the deal of the year!
Google Adsense