PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 11-28-2010, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yep, Allen, I tried all of that. Even downloaded several video tutorials that were so less than helpful that they actually made me more frustrated. They apparently were produced by people who not only assumed that everyone already knew what they were doing, and also that they themselves sprang into existence knowing everything there was to know about Blender.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
YouTube - Blender Tutorial: Very Beginner Tutorial

pretty beginner tutorial there, might work for ya, also, 3ds max has a 30 day trial if you want to play with it, its a very powerful tool, and its learning curve isnt that steep.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I'm not sure I get you, lancer525. So, what you really think about Blender??
Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 AM

HAhahahahaha... Allen! You really know how to get someone to laugh.

Seriously, I've seen just about all the tutorials, how tos, and instructions for Blender that I ever care to see. They all were useless to me.

They all have one thing in common. The explanations are given as if the person needing the explanation ALREADY knows what they're doing.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:56 PM

hi lancer-

Oh what a shame... I should have prefaced that Blender does have a steep learning curve coupled with being developed and rewritten constantly. At 6 months I can model at the vertex level with modifiers and apply UVs and textures. I've even dabbled in basic animations but I'm still learning. I ran 3d Studio Max but the 3k$US price was high for my wallet. Due to version changes docs for Blender are slim or not current, even on the Blender website, understood. Like you, I picked it up, could barely translate the default cube and looked elsewhere. Lately with v2.5x out, I've found several sites (Youtube, blendercookie.com, blendernewbies, blenderguru) that have full blown professional video tutorials on them with hours of instruction. The interface and operation is a bit different and for some it's not their cup of tea. With respect I suggest a second look or a browse to see features at a site like blendercookie.com, if you take to it you won't regret it. Apologies if I'm redirecting from the "convert max file" subject on this thread, this is why I was brief before. For me, I really like the homegrown website support and function for 3d design on this app ... and the price$ ;o)

Cheers all, happy holidays--
/cie
Google Adsense
Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM

LOL... You guys are busting me up your posts came in as I was typing my last post. Yes, I've seen the tuts on Youtube for Blender, IMHO they aren't the clearest ones. If I only saw the YouTube tut vids I'd run from Blender . Try BlenderCookie.com for a series on how to install up to a basic render. The BC site has Blender community certified guys showing you how it's done, they use Vimeo and have HD vids too . Cheers /cie
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
HAhahahahaha... Allen! You really know how to get someone to laugh.

Seriously, I've seen just about all the tutorials, how tos, and instructions for Blender that I ever care to see. They all were useless to me.

They all have one thing in common. The explanations are given as if the person needing the explanation ALREADY knows what they're doing.
I have had the same experience. I put about 6 hours into it and found I could make nothing. I am in awe of those who can make things, and the guys who do animation with it just piss me off (in a nice way). I am sticking with Rhino.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I think most people that really good at Blender are usually 3d artist by profession. They paid to go to school to learn their stuff. That's their living, they have to know every 3d programs they can get their hands on or much as they can. Us here that bitching this or that program is too hard are usually self taught. Doing it for fun. Don't have that much time to put in everyday to learn this and that. Like I am self taught Rhino, Photoshop, Painter, Maya, Pepakura. I,m not great at anyone program. Just good enough to build what I want. So, for what we learned on our own, we did good I think. No need to get frustrated. If any program I can't open and start rotate, scale, shape in the first 30 sec. Then I don't need it, and I'll uninstall. Like I'm so close to dump Pepakura. If only I can find some way to convert .pdo to fbx, obj, 3ds. Pepakura will be soooooo gone!! Gone!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
If any program I can't open and start rotate, scale, shape in the first 30 sec. Then I don't need it, and I'll uninstall. Gone!!!
Bam! Bingo! Spot on!!!

I had a drafting instructor years ago (we were using AutoCAD v7 or something, to let you know how long ago it was) who told us that any CAD or graphics program is a TOOL. It should be easy to use. It should make your job easier, not harder. It should be easy enough to learn that you can focus on what you're drawing, rather than how to work the program.

I totally agree.

Then again, I may just be too stupid to learn Blender.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

"Then again, I may just be too stupid to learn Blender. "

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Google Adsense