PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Foxit PDF Editor.

Hi, just wondering if anyone else uses this software?

I've posted a question on the Foxit Forum, but they seem to be ignoring me.

The Querie: -

If I load a Japanese originated PDF into Adobe Reader X it loads OK.

If I load the same PDF into Foxit PDF Editor, ALL the Japanese texts vanish. Not even the text boxes are there, but the Western style Numbers do remain in place.

When I first offered this PDF to Adobe Reader, it did ask me to download and install "Japanese Fonts", and I complied. I thought these fonts would be installed in Windows, but seemingly they must be installed in Adobe reader.

So I conclude that maybe Foxit PDF Editor also requires a "Japanese Fonts" add on.

Anyone know where it may be available from from?

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
A quick Google under "foxit asian fonts" came up with Foxit Software - Technical FAQ
from which
Quote:
Foxit PDF Editor

1. Why can’t Foxit PDF Editor display some letters correctly?
There are two possible reasons listed below:
1) The fonts you want to use are not embedded in the file. Foxit PDF Editor cannot find any suitable substitutes to make them display correctly.
2) The PDF file contains Asian characters. Please refer to Q2 for details.

2. Why does Foxit PDF Editor ask for CJK.bin?

This is because your PDF file contains Asian characters. You will need to click here to download the CJK.bin and save it in your Editor directory in order to display those CJK characters correctly.

3. Why can’t I input text in some languages?
Foxit PDF Editor supports ANSI, CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean), and Symbol Character Set. For example, some Russian fonts cannot be edited with Foxit PDF Editor because they use the Russian Character Set.
The link in the quote is to http://mirrors.foxitsoftware.com/pub...2009.0416.fzip

Don't know if it works, dont have "editor", good luck.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
See:
Foxit Software - Technical FAQ

2. Why does Foxit PDF Editor ask for CJK.bin? This is because your PDF file contains Asian characters. You will need to click here to download the CJK.bin and save it in your Editor directory in order to display those CJK characters correctly.

I have not tried this but it should work.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Many thanks for that Looker.

I'll follow the link and see where it leads me.
It looks like what I was hoping to get from Foxit Admin.

In my case though, Foxit editor has never queried the PDF,
so I've not been pointed to the add on.

Johnny.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Hmmmm?

I've now got the CJK add on on my desktop, as a .fzip file.

Seems it is an add on for 'Foxit PDF reader' (which I don't have), not "Foxit PDF Editor" which I do have.

I've found an 'Import Font' icon within "Editor" but it only looks in Windows Fonts. I cannot get it to look at the .fzip file on my desktop.

Presumably this .fzip file needs unzipping some how, but nothing I've got on board wants to know it.

Thanks for trying guys, but I guess I'm gonna have to patiently wait for a reply from Foxit Forum admins. I have only been waiting five days. There's been 53 views, so far, but no answers.

The bit that's bugging me is the Q. 2. Why does Foxit PDF Editor ask for CJK.bin? in their FAQ. I can't understand why my "Editor" isn't asking for it, and can't find any way to offer it to it.

I'll just have to try re-wording my question an put it in a new post to see if that will attract any contact.

Cheers, Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
JohnM, unzip the .fzip file which should extract the file CJK.bin. Then move CJK.bin into your Foxit PDF Editor install directory. It should auto-load the file once you start the editor. If that doesn't work wait for the reply from Foxit.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM

It says "download the CJK.bin and save it in your Editor directory in order to display those CJK characters correctly." Can you find that directory?
You may not need to unzip it first. My "Reader" recognised the .fzip and dealt with it. I had to go to Help/Install updates and browse to the fzip file.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimpirate View Post
JohnM, unzip the .fzip file which should extract the file CJK.bin. Then move CJK.bin into your Foxit PDF Editor install directory. It should auto-load the file once you start the editor. If that doesn't work wait for the reply from Foxit.
I can see your logic GP, but I cannot find anything to Unzip a .fzip file.
Nor do I know where to find the 'install directory' to move it into.
I presume this is in the mystery world of the Registry?

Johnny
Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Try going to the Editor Help menu see if there is an Instal Updates. Or try going to C\Program Files \Foxit Software\Foxit Editor and place the file there. Stay away from your Registry.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 PM

We gain ground Looker. Editor 'Help' is of no use, BUT ...

There is indeed a C\Program Files \Foxit Software\Foxit Editor for me to place it in. Strange that though, as my C: drive contains win98se OS, which I rarely use. I mostly use Win XP which is installed on my D: drive.

I guess Foxit PDF Editor has somehow installed itself on the wrong drive, but the XP Desktop shortcut knows that, even if I didn't.

So now I know where to put it ... all I gotta figure out is how to unzip the .fzip file. WinZip and Winrar don't wanna know it. I know I had 7zip on here somewhere, but I'm not finding it.

Johnny.

Last edited by JohnM; 03-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Google Adsense