PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 04-16-2011, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
To change how the files are listed click on the Icon that the arrow is pointing too.

For my Job we use XP because the programs we use for Robotics and Automation are not happy running under Win 7. So I had some Issues with Win 7 when I installed on my home computers now that I have used it for a couple of months I find myself saying gee I wish XP would do that.
The best part of Win 7 is how it finally lives up to the phrase "Plug and Play".

The pop ups are what HP has installed on your machine see if you can do a clean install with out all of the extra junk. Or go into the control panel and delete the programs you do not want.

Jim Nunn
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7-temp.jpg  
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Make the Windows 7 Taskbar Work More Like Windows XP or Vista - How-To Geek

Try this.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
This is one reason why I hate OEM setups.
When you buy a Dell Dimension, or an HP Multi media system, you get all their features,
their setup, their preferences...not your own.

Anyway, on the issue of Windows 7, its no different that any previous upgrade of Windows.
new look, new colours, new features...new navigational headaches!

But...at least this one works.
I can't tell you how happy I am to have a better operating version of Windows.
Putting up with the new learning experience is worth it.

I love the new task bar..."pinning" frequently used files or programs is a fantastic feature!
For example, my oft used Graphic programs are "pinned" to the Task bar
allowing me to see the program link no matter where I am
(I don't have to minimize windows and return to my desktop)
and...
now they are single click operation (no need to double click the icon to start the program)!

I find the Icons more pleasing to the eye,
even though I admit once in a while I have to think about the Icon and its application.
Hovering pop up text stills works though.
To be honest, its no worse than having small hard to read text.

Like any version of Windows, there are many many visual changes that you can make
...it just takes time to find out what options are available and how to implement them.
And like any previous change, its frustrating for sometime to learn the new look and new system.
But for the very first time, with Windows, I think its worth it.

Search the web...every day, more and more Windows tutorials appear
as well as Hints and Tips sites.
I also joined a couple of Tech forums, to help me answer many questions.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The only thing I really don't like with Windows 7, is the SEARCH option.

I constantly move, save and lose files and folders on different hard drives.
In the past, I would go "search" for things throughout my computer.

The new Windows 7 "search" has changed...there are no options to search for specific things
or in specific places.

In fact, when I use the search, it seems to only search the root drive.
Which means I never find anything I am looking for, since only my operating system is on my root drive.
All my files and folders are on secondary drives.

the Windows 7 "Search" feature is absolutely useless!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

I think, given time, hopefully, someone will come up with a good search option programs. I think W7 is geat. The 64 bit program really makes the browsers fly and my machine works better all the way around. my old AMD 3700 84 Asus K8VSE Deluxe (512mg Video Ram) 2 G RAM, and the new AMD 9550 Quad CORE 1 (Terabyte Video Ram) MSI 870 G45 (could have got a better board but this is a tried and true board).

That's amazing that it can run a 7 year old machine better than XP!
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
The stuff I'm reallying having problems with is the whole file folder setup and working with programs.
Try FreeCommander (it's free)
FreeCommander - freeware file manager
It's what I use because I HATE the way Win7 operates in terms of files and folders.

Quote:
the Windows 7 "Search" feature is absolutely useless!
Also, as others have mentioned, the "search" function in Win7 is messed up!
I use something called "Everything" ( Everything Search Engine ) as my search engine to find files, folders, etc.
(Practical note, in Everything go into the options, the view tab, and check "hide results when the search is empty" and Everything is a lot less visually confusing to use).

As to the HP installed crapware, I was just setting up a new machine for a friend and when I got 12 "HP" related pop-ups in 20 minutes I said "ok, that's it" and wiped it clean and re-installed. If you know someone with a Win7 DVD that is the same version you have installed (probably Home Premium) then you can use their DVD and your key (the key is on a sticker somewhere on your machine) to re-install clean.

I keep "FreeCommander" and "Everything" pinned to my task bar for immediate use at any time.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.11 MB
You rarely need to reinstall Windows - its a common cop-out for people that run out of ideas. And using someone else's copy of Win7 with your activation key is piracy - if your laptop/pc didnt come with OEM discs then you haven't paid for the software. Thats why you saved money on your pc and they want extra for the discs.

As for removing the HP/Dell/Whatever pre-installed trialware etc, use this. It was written by support engineers to do just what you are trying to do. We use it at work a lot (I'm a Network Architect, I work for HP). Its free and works brilliantly.

How it Works | The PC Decrapifier

As for Win7 it has everything that XP had just in different places. To set your folder preferences

Open a folder.
Use the 'View' drop-down to view 'Details' (Top right).
Click 'Organize', (Top left), and click 'Folder and Search options'.
On the 'View' tab, click the 'Apply To Folders' button.
'Ok' all the way back out.
Now all your folders will show 'Details' as the default view.

You can also set your search preferences from there, Dave.

If a program doesnt want to run in native Win7, right-click the .exe file and select 'Properties', and look at the 'Compatability' tab. Here you can either run it with admin privileges (overcomes some permission problems) or in its own little XP world.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
You rarely need to reinstall Windows - its a common cop-out for people that run out of ideas.
I've got 20 years of tech work that makes me disagree. You can easily hit a point of diminishing returns where it's far faster and easier to re-install clean than to try and straighten things out.

Quote:
using someone else's copy of Win7 with your activation key is piracy
No it isn't. If you used someone else's key it'd be piracy but you can use the media (the disc) to install as much as you want as long as you own a legal key of your own for each machine you are putting it on (that nice little sticker on the side of the machine). I've had this conversation with Microsoft.

From the Microsoft EULA for Win 7
Quote:
15. PROOF OF LICENSE.
a. Genuine Proof of License. If you acquired the software on a computer, or on a disc or other
media, a genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity label with a genuine copy of the software identifies licensed software. To be valid, this label must be affixed to the computer or appear on the manufacturer’s or installer’s packaging. If you receive the label separately, it is invalid. You should keep label on the computer or the packaging that has the label on it to prove that you are licensed to use the software. If the computer comes with more than one genuine Certificate of Authenticity label, you may use each version of the software identified on those labels.

Last edited by Mr. Hawley; 04-16-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 AM
Banned

That "Key" is in fact what you're are paying for. I had a situation where I had an OEM version of Windows XP and when I went for SP3, there was a problem because my machine was an AMD and the Registry had that infamuos Intel PPS entry. SP3 failed to install and I was stuck. I could no longer use the O.E.M. disc and while on the phone with Microsoft, they asked if I had a neighbor with an SP2 disc (which I did) and they had me use that one. My "Key" did not match up with that disc. When it was all said and done, they told me to make a copy of that disc and gave me a new Key!! This was early in SP3 and they did not know about the Intel PPS problem with O.E.M. discs. They helped me, I helped them. That "Key" is very very important.

Also worth noting is that since this was an O.E.M. disc, that i purchased on a machine I built myself, they were under no obligation to help me. They spent an hour with me, took over my machine remotely and fixed it, and then proceeded to apologize profusely. This was an American Tech person too, the Indian Tech people are always kind.

In reality, if you get a bad virus, you really should format and re-install. That's why you should always run a good security suite (I really like Norton 360, just build a machine strong enough and it won't mater that it is a resource hog). and you must back up. I will no longer spend more than 20 minutes on a P.C. to remove a virus. Re-install the O.S and save the person time and money. If it really a problem, regarding loss of data, put in a new hard drive, slave the old one and then after you re-install, go through your old hard drive with the appropriate antivurs software, backup, save your info, then format that Hard Drive too. IMHO.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Thanks for the attempts to help. I guess I'm just going to have to live with some of the stuff (not the popups, I've been eliminating some of them) since its the visual design of Windows 7. In reference to Windows XP I'm not sure what it was like. My old one was Windows 2000 and the one I worked on at my last job using a computer was 98....and we had IT guys there so if something didn't work it was call them and tell them to fix it while I went and got a cup of coffee.

Since I was buying this thing at a regular retailer and it was name brand until I got it home and starting unpacking it, I didn't realize that there was any discs with it. I didn't even know that you could do that. I thought when you got it and fired it up, the first thing you would have to do would be load Windows on it.

My attitude is I don't want to learn hardware or programing. When I buy it I want to plug it in the wall, turn it on and start doing the work I want to do with it. When I buy a new X-Acto knife I don't have to relearn a new version of how to change blades in it or how to cut with it.
Google Adsense