PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Windows 7

Had to get a new computer recently so I finally got Windows 7.

I'm finding it a total hassle to work with; especially in setting up file folders and working with photos. Can someone recommend a good book or on-line tutorial. I hate ikons and pictograms, I want verbiage...and not having to keep switching back and forth between views when I'm trying to edit photos. Just doesn't seem to be a production orientated tool.

Plus those damm popups about do you want to link to Window Live, Facebook, or whatever. NO! I don't want any of that crap.
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I just built a computer with Windows 7. Did your computer come with it installed. It sounds as though you have an accessory package that was installed on your computer. I would look at disabling or uninstalling these applications. W7 has nothing in it if installed "clean" that favors any sofware, other than Internet Explorer. You can probably go to a forum about your particular computer and find out how to rtemove the "bloatware" that came with your computer. If you post the exact model number (or PM me) I could find out some info for you. The "bloatware" is advertising and is installed to bring down the cost of the computer as it is a form of advertising.

If you have the install disc, you may be able to install the Operating system without the "bloatware", it depends on a few circumstances, I.E., how the discs or preloaded.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the reply Zathros. Its an HP with it preinstalled no disc. So some of the stuff (like keep wanting me to install Norton) is HP. That stuff I can deal with its just annoying. May just go ahead and buy 7 and install it clean.

The stuff I'm reallying having problems with is the whole file folder setup and working with programs. I was really used to and like the old Windows branching file folder system (one thing I always dispised on MACs were those folder ikons). I can't get it to setup like that and getting files to open automatically in the program I want without having to open it through the program. Especially on non-Microsoft, non-Adobe open source programs.

Will admit to not being real super computer literate (especially hardware) and not real computer friendly. Probably has a lot to do with why I'm not doing graphics anymore and driving a transit bus. Anyway enought of my luddite whining: its a HPE-400f.

Last edited by whulsey; 04-15-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

You don't have to do that. You can buy, for a small fee, the install disc from H.P.. Just call them and see you want the O.E.M. W7 disc for your Laptop. Try this program, it's free: Welcome | The PC Decrapifier removes a lot of "poop".

and then Download and get Microsoft Security Essentials...and install it. Let me know how you make out. Don't buy W7 again, you do not need too.

To be honest, W7 is very intuitive, you will get used to it and when you do, you will find XP a little clunky. I despise anything Apple so I cannot comment on that.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
You should be able to change the folder view to give you a list instead of the icons.

Check out this page...
File and Folder Arrangement - Change in Windows Explorer Window - Windows 7 Forums
Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Thanks again, you both have given me some things to go through. Guess I'm just going to have to resign myself to spending a week or 2 going through all this stuff and getting it down. Actually I was still on 2000 on my old computer. Which meant that I wasn't able to update hardly anything. I'd only went to that since it was the only way I could get cable internet hookup. I was real happy with Windows 95, didn't even mind DOS that much.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 PM

The OS should come with a setting to emulate an earlier version.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 PM

StevO it may but I haven't found it yet. But then again I really hadn't explored that much, I just wanted to get up and back to what I was doing.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
I my self like xp operating it is easier to use I don't understand why
Microsoft comes out with a new operating system every year. It does not make any sense
I don't like it that much I have a bunch of star trek games I love and can't play any more because they
Change their operating systems more than I change my mind well I said my peace
Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 PM

I know what you mean Mchale and you're a young pup. Think what its like for an old dog like me.

Nice job by Airdave on your avatar.
Google Adsense