PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 189.83 MB
SPP (Sketchup-Paper-Planes ) Tools for Sketchup

Hello everybody.
I am busy with creating set of tools for designing paper models in Sketchup. This are menu and a toolbar that I managed to create so far. As you can see in the menu are more commands than in the toolbar but I've added to toolbar only those that I think will be used most often.

I will like to give you a brief introduction /explanation of my tools.
Note 1. This is still a "Work In Progress" – not everything works in every case, the need for tests with users, and different combinations.
Note 2. Most of these tools I have in mind a specific scheme of designing. Of course, my way of thinking is not only correct one, but the tools are really suited to such manner. Any suggestions for changes are welcome.
Menu item 1) Autounfold-Unfold the surface made of triangles, and at the construction points that are on the surface. If the points are grouped after unfolding they will remain in the same groups. Icon # 3 on toolbar.
Menu items 2), 3) and 4) Groups renaming – when you click the group its name will change. Possible ways are the Arabic numbers (1, 2, 3 ...), Roman numerals (I, II, III, IV ...) or letters (A, B, C … AA, AB ...). At this point every time you execute tools, numbering starts with 1, A or I. This tool needs some work.
Menu item 5) Orient groups-Tool rotates all selected group so that they are top-facing the biggest face, and then arranges them next to each other.
Menu item 6) Groups push/pull. The residue from the previous version. The tool will push/pull all faces in the selected groups. Likely to be deleted, I don't see currently use for it
Menu item 7) Align planes. The residue from the previous version. A tool used to align face to another face on the basis of the position of the 3 points.
Menu item 8) Project points on faces. Works orthogonal in 6 directions: (X +, X-, Y-, Y-, +,-). For example: in the direction X +, points will be projected to the first surface that is in the direction of the vector X + (+1, 0, 0). Points do not need to be on the good side of the surface, counts only the orientation and direction of the vector. I hope the video will explain it better. Icon # 2 on toolbar.
Menu item 9) Divider. Description in the menu is a little misleading because the tool is not limited to 10 mm. Selected edges will be divided into sections with length not more than requested by the user. At the breakpoints, construction points will be inserted. Icon # 1 on toolbar.
Menu item 10) Connect selected construction points. You must choose the first and second point. The remaining points are sorted based on distance from the previous one. NOTE the tool works on separate construction points (work on group to come). Icon # 4 on toolbar.
Menu item 11) Automatic Connector – If we have points spaced as evenly and as a group we can use this tool. It will look for a first (edge) point, and then make the curve. Icon # 5 on toolbar.
Menu item 12) Slotmaker-Tool works on 2 groups each of which consists of 1 plane. It finds the intersection of these groups and then creates a cut with a width of 33 mm (we design in scale 1: 1). Specifying the slot width will come in next version. Icon # 6 on toolbar.
Menu item 13) 2 2D curves in a 3D curve - Creates a 3D curve based on the 2 2D or 3D curves. Uses, for example. X- and Y-coordinate of one curve and the Z-coordinate of the second curve are combined to make a new curve. Icon # 7 on toolbar.
Menu item 14) Intermediate curves. Creates intermediate curves between 2 pre-defined curves (2D or 3D). User specifies number of intermediate curves to create, how many segments curves to have and a generation type: the equal distribution between curves or curves in the main planes (XY, XZ, and YZ). Icon # 8 on toolbar.
In the near future I will try to upload several videos showing how individual tools works. Interested in testing? - please contact me. Suggestions for additional features, tools or better icons are welcome.
With Regards,
Matt
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Very interesting will you be releasing a beta copy of this for testing.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 AM

I want to put some video tutorials first, and in a mean time improve it a little bit (spelling corrections etc...), but then I will make it available for non comertial use. You can also try the version as it is now, just PM me.
Matt
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
That is very interesting!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 AM

First two examples

3D curve from 2 2D curves and intermediate curves:

http://youtu.be/XbDBQgL8Obc

Divide edges to x mm parts and connect points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eFs57mzQNQ
To people who responded, unfortunately projecting points to surfaces is a bit "buggy", I will send scripts for testing as soon as this will be repaired (probably next week).
More videos to follow.

PS. Any tip why Youtube videos don't work with YOUTUBE tags [][/] ?

Last edited by MattCiapa; 01-27-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Added link below videos
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
that would be so cool!
is it for free??
will it cost much?
how do you add on your tool bar?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 AM

Hi everybody, I expect to send those scripts for testing by the end of this week.
Just be patient.

Because sketchup is a free software, i will release those for free for a non comertial use. I hope that every user will accept that.

@ spaceagent-9 - Adding Toolbars to Sketchup is quite easy, but writing a script that will work require some programming skills. For more informations go to sketchUcation.com forums, google "Automatic Sketchup" for a book about writing Ruby Scripts , and on Youtube look for ChrisFullmer. Nice video Tutorials.
Greets
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
thank you, i will try.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 AM

One more example :

Screencast by SketchupPP from Screenr.com - YouTube

Greets
Matt
Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Pure awesomeness. This will revolutionize designing in Sketchup, I can't wait to have start using it.

[email protected]
Google Adsense

Tags
designing, sketchup, software