PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 08-12-2012, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Is any one else having FireFox problems?

I am almost at the point of giving up on Firefox and have gone back to using Internet Explorer (horrors) and sometimes Iron for my browser.
Firefox keeps freezing, and crashing on me and a quick Google shows that a lot of other people are having problems with the newer versions of Firefox.
And when I run Process Explorer, Firefox comes across as huge resource hog which my older lap top has problems handling, though its performance is only slightly better on my desktop which has a lot more RAM.
Pity, but it seems that Firefox may have become bloatware.
Google Adsense
Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
No crashing from mine yet but ot been on much the last few weeks to have noticed other than it would not download any of the youtube videos with the downoad helper
Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
No problems for me...now. But before, yes. It may be due to one of your add-ons (plug-ins and/or extensions) being unstable. The way I worked it out was disabling ALL add-ons and then enabling them one by one until I got the crashing again. The last one enabled before the crash was the one to get uninstalled.

I don't know if I would consider Firefox a resource hog on my computer....it uses between 90,000K to 120,000K mem usage but only at 1% or 2% CPU usage depending on how many tabs I have open at once.

I'm on Firefox 14.0.1 which is the latest....update if you already haven't done so.

Another alternative to use is Chrome.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Google chrome

My son and I have ditched google chrome, it slowed down our laptops and has become impossibly uinstable. The last straw for me was when it stalled and prevented me from doing anything.

ZAk had already changed to Firefox, now we both use version 14, it's a lot faster,and doesn't screw up our machines.

Last edited by rickstef; 08-13-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Language, this is a family site after all
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Using Firefox 14.0.1 , no problems encountered yet. Check the add-ons as suggested by 3Turner. Could be a problem there.

Run msconfig.exe then check the Startup tab to see if something weird is running. It seems that a lot of programs will install something and have it automatically start up and run. Some might conflict with the browser you are using.
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2012, 06:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
well i use all three of them (chrome ,firefox ,IE)

though no crashes on any till now (my pc doesn't have much ram)

well i agree with 3Turner as chrome had the same problem i did the same and it worked like magic

give it a try it may be the problem of your browser

ultra stone
Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I use Firefox 9, but only rarely.

The browser I use for most of what I do online is Seamonkey 2.9.
I got it where Firefox is found, free, and with a few useful extensions such as AdBlock+.
Seamonkey is basically the old NetScape Browser, and while it isn't graphically flashy like other browsers, it's generally reliable and performs reasonably well, taking few resources.

The other browsers I at time use are Google Chrome 20, Iron, BlackHawk (fork of GglChrm) and lastly Opera12. OF these, Opera is easily the most frequently in use when I'm not using Seamonkey. Again light resource demands, and nothing overly fancy graphically, ensure Opera sees use at times.

Internet Explorer I have actively abhorred since IE-5, and though it is on this computer, that's because it is almost impossible to uninstall it successfully from Windows XP and still have XP running properly. Absent that issue, the IE-6 on this computer would NOT be present.

I recommend Seamonkey 2.9 to anyone who isn't worried about eye-candy and simply wants a stable and usable browser. Opera12 and up would be next. The caveat in both is the extensions and add-ons, which I keep to an absolute minimum.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I use Firefox. To avoid that kind of problems I clean the history and temporary files frequently (at least once every week). It helps a lot. When it is too problematic I just update to a newer version, and everything keeps working wonderful.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM

I like using chrome, feels more polished and faster then IE or Firefox but task manager shows that it takes up a lot ram in comparison to the others.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
I think it is related to Adobe Flash, the auto updater breaks the plugin FF uses. Try uninstalling Flash, rebooting and going to Adobe.com and reinstall Flash (sans the virus scanner). Run the installer, but close FF first (and make sure it isn't running a process through taskmanager). You can opt for disabling the auto updater (websites should mention that you have an older version of Flash).

I hope this works for you. Also, if you use FF, atleast have the Adblock Plus plugin and optionally the NoScript one.
Google Adsense