PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 32.15 MB
Polygon subdivision in a sphere with Metasequoia...

Dear friends,
I have a question concerning Metasequoia.
Imagine to have a sphere with 12 gores (U=12, V=n). Each gore is planar, in the sense that can be easily developped in a plane by, for example, Pepakura. For questions related with the application of a texture, you have to divide vertically each gore in three other gores, maintaining the planarity of the gores. I mean, you cannot use the mesh smooting or the round options, because in this way the planarity of the three gores is not maintained.
How can I do?
I could cut any original gore into three gores (with two vertical cut), but this procedure is not very precise, is time consuming, and could result in the formation of unwanted extra polygons...
Can you help me?
Thans a lot!

Ciao,
PINO
Google Adsense
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Use the mesh smoothing.
Mesh smoothing will only smooth if the faces are connected....... so un-connect them.

If you select a belt of faces going around the sphere, cut and paste, then smooth, the smooth will only smooth going around because they are all connected around, it can't smooth vertically because nothing is connected.
Use the Knife -> erase chained lines to remove the extra vertical lines going around and you will have your faces as you want them.
Repeat and then merge all your new objects and joined closed vertices to finish.

With the triangle parts at the top and bottom, you will need to separate every face and then mesh smooth, use the wire tool -> 'swap a line two triangles share' to remove the unwanted lines, then 'merge two triangles into a quadrangle' wiith the wire tool then select and delete the extra vertices that were created.
Quickest way for the triangle ends is to cut and paste each triangle to a new object until you have all triangles in separate objects and then merge the objects together, then mesh smooth just the one object. (don't join closed vertices before you mesh smooth)
The fastest way to do this is with the plugin 'seperate faces'.

ooops, I just read what gore is, I explained for horizontal, so do it same but vertical instead of horizontal.
Same method for any shape.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 32.15 MB
Thank you very much, codex34!
You perfectly understood the problem and gave me the perfect solution!

PINO