PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Rhino mapping question

Hi,

is it possible to produce an object in Rhino, which can later be used as a UV-plane for texture mapping, but also contains lines which are on the surface of the object?
For example, I have a sphere, and three lines on it's surface which form a triangle on it. Now I want to create a texture bitmap in another program, where the inside of the triangle has another color than the outside, and then map it onto the object in Rhino. How would I do this?

I'm pretty amazed by this program, thanks again to all who pointed me to it!

Best regards,
Thorsten
Google Adsense
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Don't know anything about UV-plane or texture mapping in Rhino but suspect this may be of interest Project To Surface
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
The Answer is Yes...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
Hi,

is it possible to produce an object in Rhino, which can later be used as a UV-plane for texture mapping, but also contains lines which are on the surface of the object?
For example, I have a sphere, and three lines on it's surface which form a triangle on it. Now I want to create a texture bitmap in another program, where the inside of the triangle has another color than the outside, and then map it onto the object in Rhino. How would I do this?

I'm pretty amazed by this program, thanks again to all who pointed me to it!

Best regards,
Thorsten
The answer is yes. How to do it is somewhat complicated.

You'll have to mesh the Rhino surface object [it's all about surfaces]. This means creating a polygon mesh that can then be exported to other programs for painting and texturing. The finished painted part can then be re-imported and used in place of the Nurbs surface. It will only show up when the viewport is set to the Render viewing mode and when the scene is rendered.

This may not make complete sense right now as you're new to the Rhino. Give yourself a little time to understand the basics before advancing into the art of the mesh.

Is their a tutorial somewhere? Not to my knowledge. If you find one, please let me know...,

+Gil

Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Rhino is practically useless at textured models, there are other tools for doing textured models.
What I mean by that is, in rhino you have to paint every part of the texture, whereas in other software you can drop bitmaps/parts of bitmaps onto triangles, or even paint directly onto the model, in real time. It's a time management issue really and depends how much texturing you wish to do.
Milkshape, metasequoia, blender, 3dsmax (all free or cheap).
Plus your 2D software, paintshop, photoshop, gimp, pixia, etc

What style/ genre models you aiming at?
Rhino can't do WoW style models, it's good at other things.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Exactly K.
Rhino is far from the best for pretty 3D graphics but it is unrivalled for accurately producing the full possible range of 2D developed (unfolded) shapes needed in paper modelling.
(It's also good for many things outside our hobby's immediate range of interest.)
The tip mentioned above, that NOBI originally provided, is an easy and effective way of locating the placement of detail and decoration on the 2D shapes whilst they are later being "painted" in your 2D graphics program of choice.
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Thanks for your replies!

My goal is not to place an actual texture on a model but to use it as a displacement map for a 3D-printing project... To be more specific, I model a rocket, and I want the displacement map to give the hull, which is in reality a 0.5mm thin metal panel, a wavy structure. But the waves are limited to the fields between the stringers and formers, so what I wanted to do is to
-model the rocket
-draw the fields between the stringers and formers on it's surface
-make a map of it
-paint a displacement field in GIMP
-map it back onto the 3D-model
If it was only a texture, I would do it in another program, but the displacement map function seemed to do exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
This makes me curious. Aren't displacement maps just a 2D effect applied to and influenced by an underlying 2D texture? I would have thought that unless the underlying 3D structure includes "real" indentations/waves the 3D printer will not reproduce them.
??
Old 01-01-2013, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Not quite, a displacement map is a 2D bitmap image, but it actually creates triangles from the 2D image. Basically it's a heightmap. Doesn't matter about 2D images being square pixels, so long as the resolution is greater than the 3D printers resolution.

Thorst, sounds like that is completely feasible, don't know how to do it though, if it's a face on map then just search for "bump map corrugated", if it's a top view map, there are a few ways of doing it, easiest would be to model it and use the print key on your keyboard.
Found plenty of vids on youtube by searching "rhino 3d displacement map".
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.23 GB
There is a Rhino tutorial here: papermodelers.sk • Zobrazenie témy - Tutorialy by Alin , unfortunately is in slovakian
Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the answers!

Well I think the problem is not the displacement map function itself but to create the picture so that it matches the part. Take a look at it:

It is a long rocket body which tapers towards both ends.
There will be stringers with a constant width running from one end to the other and ring formers at several non-constant distances, dividing the surface into some separate areas. I now want to paint primarily into the spaces between the stringers, not onto the stringers itself!
Take a look at the prototype to see what it should look like when finished:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%28NASM%29.jpg

If I use a cylindrical projection, the stringers have to widen up at the top and the bottom of the image because they reach over a wider angle due to the narrower cross section. To paint the picture, I now need to project the stringer outlines on the model surface onto the uv-map rectangle (This should result in some sinus-like curves at the non-cylindric sections). This is what I don't know ho to do.

I can't find a tutorial which does this step. Anyone knows how to do it?

Thorsten
Attached Thumbnails
Rhino mapping question-a4_3d_001.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
rhino mapping texture