PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Java

Just heard something on NPR that Homeland Security is suggesting disabling or uninstalling Java dues to security breaches. Anyone know anything about this?
Google Adsense
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
A few years ago, I would have said no one would be insane enough to seriously suggest such an action. Today, it is entirely believable.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.45 MB
This has been a growing concern for months. Big risks, and not used that much anymore.

Time to Give Java the Boot? | PCWorld
Java Flaw Puts Millions Of Windows And Mac Users At Risk - Forbes

Another view:
Java still has a crucial role to play?despite security risks | Ars Technica
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The reason they're suggesting it be disabled is because something known as a Zero Day exploit has made its way into hacker kits. It's an exploit which can be used to remotely install keylogger software and their ilk on your machine. So until it's patched/repaired they're suggesting you disable Java.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I've been reading and trying to understand some of the info I've found on the situation. The only place I use Java that I know for sure is uploading to my SmugMug site since it seems to work easiest and fastest. I don't do Facebook or any of those and when I'm not on the computer shut down and disconnect the modem. Actually if I'm just working on photos and such, I don't even plug the modem in all the time, just turn the computer on. Guess I'll just leave it alone for now and hope for the best.
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Java is a script that is run in soooooooooooo many applications it's almost impossible to go without it, try switching it off then you'll see how deep it goes. I can understand why high risk places might wish to disable this, hackers have a an easy time getting all your information on the back of this.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
funny...as of Windows and Mozilla updates yesterday, my Java (on my laptop)
is fully updated and yet not working. Its been extremely annoying since many sites
I visit rely on Java to operate.

Java, like a million other things, is just another point of entry into your system.
You would be unable to surf if you killed every process that is a conduit for
malicious actions.
Just make sure Firewalls and anti-virus/anti-malware are up to date.
And use a browser with reliable security measures and add-ons.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Bit of confusion - Java is a programming language which is compiled to run - it's used on a fair number of websites on the server side. Javascript is an unrelated scripting language which is most often used on the browser.

The unpatched vulnerability in Java allows any code, including nasty stuff, to run with full administrator privileges. Oracle, who own Java, has been blasted by the IT community for not fixing this vulnerability for months.

Mozilla (Firefox) and Google(Chrome) recently modified their browsers so that vulnerable versions of Java will not run in the browser. This fixes the vulnerability but means that websites relying on Java won't work. Mozilla and Google have said that they won't allow Java to run in their browsers until Oracle patches the Java vulnerability. It's believed the recent rise of ransomware attacks (pay money to decrypt your files) has been caused by the opportunity created by the Java vulnerability.

Regards,

Charlie