PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.50 GB
PDO File converter

I have now come across this problem, PDO files, it would appear a great many of the models on here are in this obsolete format, and i can find nothing available on the internet to convert them to a readable file of any sort, the files say they are not openable.
So can some one go through the offered stuff and either convert them as you wrote them, and re-issue them in a PDF file so we the users can actualy build the said models, these appear to be mainly the star wars stuff.
Cheers
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Actually, not that obsolete

Pepakura Designer

A very powerful viewer, and a relative cheap designer option if wanted.

Simple download for anyone who wants to build pdo based models
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Get cutePDF writer it's free and convert them to PDF's CutePDF - Convert to PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Save PDF Forms, Edit PDF easily. ....Rich
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Should have said, you download it then when you print it comes up as a printer and it writes it to a PDF.....Rich
Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Probably a mac user.
It's a pity I don't know more about java or I'd write a java app so mac and linux users could view and print them, the format isn't that complicated.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Mac users, i believe Pepakura can run in WINE or any other Windows virtual machine.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
I've never understood why a designer or publisher cripples a model by using PDO. Even if you are a pc user the software is horrible.
A model worth publishing is worth publishing right. Use a format that is very easy to work with and gets the model to the widest audience.

I'm a Mac user who runs Windows. Still wont touch a PDO. And Wine-forget it.

As to the original post - yeah, we'll all just jump up, hunt down all the models we've done and convert for you.
Better idea-how about you hang around the forum, make some posts, participate and learn about the different file formats. This is a forum of participation, not a free stop for models.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex34 View Post
Probably a mac user.
It's a pity I don't know more about java or I'd write a java app so mac and linux users could view and print them, the format isn't that complicated.
Do you have some specs of the format? I'd probably be interested in working on a multiplatform viewer, but I don't see it as being a simple app to develop.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 PM

I'll see if I can find some of those specs for you, not sure if I wrote everything down, most of the file is 3D data and textures.
If I were to try to write an app it would be JOGL, not sure that is compatible with linux and mac though. The 3D and 2D could be placed in seperate windows rather than use a split window, the 2D isn't even 2D, it's 3D triangles within the same plane - psuedo 3D, which makes the output a simple rendered scene.
Gone to use windows search......
Old 03-16-2013, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.50 GB
Thanks for the help lads, and i am about to try that CutePDF, so long as it is not one of those programs that are in trial mode only, I agree if one is to design Models, then please use a common program, that is available to all, after all if you want your models to be built by the masses, then pick a PDF file, Jpeg or something else that works, and doesnt mean searching the internet for a possible cure to the problem.
Still thanks for the ideas, and i doulbt that i am alone in this, there must be hundreds out there with the same or similar problems, seeking the same results, and comming up as i have. Dead ends.
I have a library of unbuilt kits, from all over, and there is nothing more frustrating than to down load something and then find you cant open it to view the contents. and not have anywhere to get the help or guidance to find the solution, and yes that also means blogging on here. We all need to be able to download your models to be able to build them.
So again on behalf of all those seeking help and guidance i say thankyou
Google Adsense