PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Water Tower PDF downloads

Here is a two page PDF of the water tower using cones and tubes to make. It doesn't have doors or windows, did this in less than 35-minutes to see how difficult the bricks would be.

Part A is the top, Part F is the bottom. Connect part b to part A etc., until bottom is attached. Best to start at the top and work down.

If anyone builds this it will be an alpha build, I'm working on another project and don't have time to do the Alpha build on this. ( Actually working on three other projects-1/12 scale LES tower for Mercury Redstone, ARCAS rocket-full size, and another 1/32 scale project I'm going to give away once I draw up some questions for answering contest..)

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WATER-1.pdf (19.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf Water-2.pdf (43.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Hi Mike,

It did? Divide is one of many commands I'm aware of, but don't use much (and probably should). I'll have to try it myself when I get a chance. I have to run an errand now, before the store I have to go to closes. The pdf'slook gret, btw, I hope they help Ponytail, too.

Scott K.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.67 MB
Gosh. It take 2 min to make some tubes and cones like construction of the tower and put textures on it in 3D....
Up to you.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Thanks Mike,

It took you 35 minutes.... still a long, and steep, learning-way to go for me!
Ah well, The Beatles already told me: The Long and Winding Road that leads to ...

And the PDF's represent what I had in mind for the white model. Great help.

ScottK,
Your question is answered!

Modeller,
You can explain and show how to get a straight texture bended/curved on the cone?
Please do!

Thanks to all for participating.

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM

I have to prove here smth? I guess not. Even If I will show you, you have to make it by your own, I guess. Better check "brick texture tutorial" for...lets say 3DMax, and learn smth more about 3D. That'll be way much better.

P.S. The texture is just applied and the rest do the prog, you chose the tiling, number of bricks in a row e.t.c. And it also preferably it to be seamless.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeller View Post
I have to prove here smth? I guess not. Even If I will show you, you have to make it by your own, I guess. Better check "brick texture tutorial" for...lets say 3DMax, and learn smth more about 3D. That'll be way much better.

P.S. The texture is just applied and the rest do the prog, you chose the tiling, number of bricks in a row e.t.c. And it also preferably it to be seamless.
Forgive me for my hostile answer, but, what's your problem? Not everyone has, or knows how to use any 3D modeling programs. Maybe you know how to use one, but Ponytail doesn't. He's still learning 2D. It's easy for me to think, "why can't he do the simple things Mike and I are describing", but I know better. I remember how little sense AutoCad made to me, back when I started with Version 11.

Besides, I still consider many 3D models to be unbuildable crap, especially if they were carelessly unfolded with Pepakura. I know some people can make good ones that way, that are actually scaled correctly, and have decent bulkheads, as well as clear, sharp texture that actually aligns properly, but, in my experience, they're few and far between.

You don't want to show us that you can do better? Then please don't criticize those of us who work only in 2D.

My aplologies to the group for the rant. Too much stress lately, and not much self control remaining. If a mod thinks I've gone too far, please remove this post. I don't want to start another war, but I did want to get a couple of points out there that have been on my mind.

Scott K.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Thanks Scott,
For standing up for me.

I've been too long on the net to be offended by these answers alike Modeller.
It happens to be that many experts are bad teachers....
I just keep on struggeling at my own level, knowing there are experts and willing to help. And I've met them here...

To All: please do not start a flame-war here.

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
Forgive me for my hostile answer, but, what's your problem? Not everyone has, or knows how to use any 3D modeling programs. Maybe you know how to use one, but Ponytail doesn't. He's still learning 2D. It's easy for me to think, "why can't he do the simple things Mike and I are describing", but I know better. I remember how little sense AutoCad made to me, back when I started with Version 11.

Besides, I still consider many 3D models to be unbuildable crap, especially if they were carelessly unfolded with Pepakura. I know some people can make good ones that way, that are actually scaled correctly, and have decent bulkheads, as well as clear, sharp texture that actually aligns properly, but, in my experience, they're few and far between.

You don't want to show us that you can do better? Then please don't criticize those of us who work only in 2D.

My aplologies to the group for the rant. Too much stress lately, and not much self control remaining. If a mod thinks I've gone too far, please remove this post. I don't want to start another war, but I did want to get a couple of points out there that have been on my mind.

Scott K.
Scott K Take it ease. It's kinda about that there is a lighter to make fire instead of stones. And no use in stuborn study and numerous of tries to learn out how to kick em to make just a mister big spark. Just kinda. Funny but to make unfolds old fashioned way you've got to be at least a mister big engineer with all the knowledge of old school.
And it looks at least funny, when smbd continues to be on the wit with it, especially in paper designs. ) (shooting sparrows with canon)

3D is very ease. Understand that. And that's all.

Pepakura and ripped models from games have nothing common with what you said about 3D and the soft functions like pepa. Thats only all about of those who sit infront of the monitor.....

If try to continue poison yourself with 2D and textures, Corel have smth like texture use in it. Or paint. So' ve got to take some drawing lessons also then :lol:
Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeller View Post
Scott K Take it ease. It's kinda about that there is a lighter to make fire instead of stones. And no use in stuborn study and numerous of tries to learn out how to kick em to make just a mister big spark. Just kinda. Funny but to make unfolds old fashioned way you've got to be at least a mister big engineer with all the knowledge of old school.
And it looks at least funny, when smbd continues to be on the wit with it, especially in paper designs. ) (shooting sparrows with canon)

3D is very ease. Understand that. And that's all.

Pepakura and ripped models from games have nothing common with what you said about 3D and the soft functions like pepa. Thats only all about of those who sit infront of the monitor.....

If try to continue poison yourself with 2D and textures, Corel have smth like texture use in it. Or paint. So' ve got to take some drawing lessons also then :lol:
I'm no "mister big engineer", just someone who was actually taught real drafting in school, as well as technical illustration. "Poison myself"? Really? Paper modeling is centuries old, how do you suppose people were able to design before computers, let alone 3d? I'd also rather work with actual curved lines, rather than a large group of triangles and line segments.

You're also forgetting, most of the programs you mention cost money, which I in particular, don't have. Never mind the steep learning curve. Didn't you understand what I said about that above? Just because you find it easy, doesn't mean I do. I've been using 2d CAD for about 20 years, and have my own habits and quirks. I've tried a number of 3d programs, professional and free, and haven't found many of them to be as intuitive as the 2d programs I've used. I just haven't had the time or desire to learn them thoroughly, as you seem to have.

If you want to see really execellent results, from plain old 2d, and a really old (last I knew, he was using PSP 3.1) graphics program, look at Jan Rukr's work. Consider that, before you dismiss us 2d designers entirely.

Scott K.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM

Who told that they should be intuitive? Ease doesn't meant that sort of things. You compared also..... That's ridiculous to negotiate 2D vs 3D as well as one 3D in front of another. Each choose its' own poison to get high.

Just want you and others hardcore 2D's understand that you are just complicating stuff for yourself and missing just several 3D tuts. And if you don't get smth, so you must be stooped rather then go a bit further in learning. And that's all.
Closed Thread