PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Looking at this problem a bit sideways, maybe microscam ending support to XP may be a huge plus...at least the SOB will start working and responding to YOUR wishes from the instant it is turned on. At least twice a week, it takes my laptop running Win7 at least 45 minutes after turnon to finish loading MS updates and start responding to my inputs...not to mention the number of times it turns itself off in the middle of a working session to configure an update Microscam inflicted on the downlow. As long as you like your computer, keep your computer...and that is a promise I think you can manage to see is kept. The key is if the virus protection programs keep supporting XP.

true dat!!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Just like the best thing for a car engine is to never start it!!!! The best thing for your computer is to never touch the internet!!! I have 5 of them for various purposes...only one ever touches the internet....guess which one has the most problems?
Mike
Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
My point being that I've just not seen ANYTHING discussed about Chrome OS.

But from what little you've just said, I have extreme doubts about it being suitable for me. I consider it a good day on the odd times that my rural BB connection DL speed creeps up to 4 meg. .... 1.5 to 2 meg is more the norm.

Our local Line engineers don't even know when (or even if) fibre optic cables will feed our exchange, let alone from exchange to cabinet or subs. The copper cable from my house to our local branch exchange is only 56m long, but the copper cable from the main exchange to our branch exchange is 15 miles long. Until the branch exchange feeders are modernised, we haven't a hope in H... of getting a faster BB service.

Streaming video ?? What's that all about then? It takes about 30 minutes for me to DL and watch a 20 sec U Tube clip. So , for me, yer wasting yer time putting them into forum posts boys.

Johnny.
Great points, Johnny!
Other than desire, you shouldn't HAVE to be connected to use your computer on a daily or minute by minute basis.
Soon, we're going to have to "upgrade" to Adobe Creative Cloud. Even though it's only a monthly(?) check in to verify software licsense, I am totally against it. If there was a real, viable, business alternative, I'd have our graphics department switch.

They advertise Chromebooks as so cheap. Sure, nothing worthwhile runs on them. If a person is an island and doesn't really need to interact with others, AND want to use limited, internet chained software, get one. They no busines worthy.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
Just like the best thing for a car engine is to never start it!!!! The best thing for your computer is to never touch the internet!!! I have 5 of them for various purposes...only one ever touches the internet....guess which one has the most problems?
Mike
I've been very lucky! The only internet crash that comes to mind is a recent problem. Someone sent me an emai with 23 separate atachments. Even though the total megs of the attachments was not greater than was allowed from the supplier in one email, it crashed my email completely. I had to go to another conputer, use a different email client (even that had problems), and delete the offending email message. Aside fom that I've not expeienced problems.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM;412008
[COLOR=Red
Chrome os.

Has anyone tried it or have any opinions about it?[/COLOR]
Chrome OS isn't a full OS. It's a striped down Linux prepared to run and save all in the Cloud. The central point of course is the Chrome browser and the google services online. Looks for the specializations for any Chrome-book and you'll see the amount of storage is very low, generally in a SSD disk. If you're ready to work with that conditions can be an option.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
Chrome OS isn't a full OS. It's a striped down Linux prepared to run and save all in the Cloud. The central point of course is the Chrome browser and the google services online. Looks for the specializations for any Chrome-book and you'll see the amount of storage is very low, generally in a SSD disk. If you're ready to work with that conditions can be an option.
Nice, concise explanation, Alcides. Do you know Of the types of applications available for Chrome?

Joe
Old 03-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Chrome os.

Has anyone tried it or have any opinions about it?
[Edit] Yeah- What Alcides said!

The one time I experimented with it, I thought it was great for accessing the net.

That's it.

I could be (very) wrong, and please correct me if I am, but it was my impression that Chromebooks (and the Chrome OS) were primarily for accessing the web and little else.

IMHO (or perhaps not-so-humble), I would try to stay with XP via the methods mentioned above, especially if you need it to run your favorite CAD/graphics/whatever programs.

If you are looking to switch OS completely, try Linux first. It's free, and there are many different distress and options for trying it. Some will let you even run from a live CD, allowing you to try it out without touching your current OS.

Mac OS…

It's a great OS and I love it (it's what I currently have), but the software options that would interest us the most are getting fewer and far-er between.

CorelDraw stopped supporting Mac way back in version 11.

Pepakura doesn't exist in a Mac-compatible version, and while I did manage to get it working with WINE, I think it's still a little bit dodgy.

Adobe is getting INSANELY expensive…

Inkscape runs perfectly on Mac (as does GIMP), my only real complaint is not having all the features available that Illustrator CS3 does. However, you can still do plenty with Inkscape.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:46 PM

Glenn, I have to agree with you on Adobe. They've simply become a greed machine because they pretty much have a hold on the commercial world (much as Quark). When you have two decades of legacy files what are you gong to do. I still run CS3 on my personal computer but know I'll eventualy upgrade the OS and will need to go either CC or Inkscape.
Should probably start learning The ins and outs of Inkscape now.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled thread.

Joe
Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Oh the days of a 31 disk install for Windows 95 {floppy install} Wowza... that made 3.11 real sad :-) The days of a black screen with TXT only commands. Those cool days of the AMIGA's { i still use, but emulated} For me Windows XP will be on a machine i run for ever, i can lock my own "back door" thank you very much Long live XP.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
What? Gave up Win 98? I'm still running mine and XP, and Vista. Win 3.0 is in the basement just fine (no connection to the outside, but have it on my internal net). Oh, and I still have a working Amiga computer. The only thing I'm missing is the German interface cord that would connect a pc to an Amiga. I have about 200 of the Fish files that I collected in the day. I modified the Amiga with several floppy disks drives (4), and it was able to do amazing things before pcs/macs came of age. Yes, I use Chrome Browser after IE wasn't accepted by many sites anymore for the XP and the Vista. On my 98 I use a browser called Opera and it works great for the internet after IE 6 stopped working.

I use Linux off and on, and used it to recover a burned HD . That was a fun time!
Google Adsense