PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Windows XP END!

Ok, Microsoft will end support for Windows XP in April.

Bought Windows 7 Professional because I heard that you can run old XP programs on it in XP Mode.

Spent all day yesterday loading it onto a spare hard-drive to see how it would work with AutoCAD 2006 (which won't work on Vista).

It doesn't work on Windows 7 either. But, wait the fix is simple just download XP Mode from microsoft to run it. That all sounds good until you read on Microsoft's site that they won't support XP mode after they stop supporting XP. In other words you can't go on-line without getting viruses.

Does naybody know of a company that will help protect XP users in the future for on-line stuff?

Don't plan on upgrading any microsoft products for on-line stuff again! Tired of the game they play (take money, take money and it don't work)!

Looking to spend the money for more upgrades/new software on a MAC.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2014, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 94.36 MB
Howdy!
I think I've once read about a French company that said it would support Windows XP, but you'd have to pay for it ... I don't remember how much, but I think they're aiming more at companies and businesses unwilling to change their OS.
Now, I've just read that Microsoft extends updates for Windows XP security products until July 2015!
Phew, that gives me a little more time to look into Linux ...
- Tex
Old 03-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Unfortunately, I don't think there will be any company that will be offering support for xp. How about Linux? I'm not too familiar with Linux, but could there be a possibility that there is a winxp sandbox which would run your old software?

I've said it before, I use and like very much...Windows 8. I don't care for the tablet interface (metro ui) and don't use it. I stick to the desktop mode and works similar to XP or Win7. But of course, the downside, having to update software every other OS update because software manufacturers don't want to update their old versions to continue working with newer OS's.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
As a non-professional Windows XP and 7 user I don't see the point... what's wrong with just ignoring the support end? I mean you have to update your anti-malware programs anyways even with the support, and it won't loose functionality, or am I missing the most important thing?

It's really a shame with the new Win versions not being compatibe with old programs, I lost some of the best games when we switched from Win 98 to XP... but I surely will not uninstall XP from the PC I have it on... But however, if there is something I don't yet know, I'll take it off the internet.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
XP-Mode is nothing more than a Virtual Machine. The virus solution is then to take a snapshot of the VM after you've installed AutoCAD but before you hook it up to the internet. If you get a virus, all you have to do is restore the old snapshot and you're back in business.

There's also other VM products that might offer more support than MS, such as Oracle's VirtualBox or VMWare Player.
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 94.36 MB
Just found it in my archive: Arkoon has said they'd offer support for Windows XP, for between $15.00 and $38.00 per year and PC, depending on the number of PCs per customer.
I got this piece of info on 10-5 last year, but haven't been able to check it out yet.
- Tex
Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
According to an IT guy at my work (for whom I have huge respect for watching him keeping pretty big office in business) all business users HAVE TO upgrade from Windows XP to at least 7. As far as private users go, there is no reason to ditch Windows XP as long as you keep your antivirus/malware software up-to date - I'm keeping my PC running Win XP as long as it's working
Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
It's really a shame with the new Win versions not being compatibe with old programs, I lost some of the best games when we switched from Win 98 to XP...
Have you had a look at Great Old Games at GOG.com They have many games from the 90s optimized for modern OS...
Old 03-02-2014, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
Have you had a look at Great Old Games at GOG.com They have many games from the 90s optimized for modern OS...
No, unfortunately the games I liked the most seem to be not "great" ... Just had a look and couldn't find my favourites. Plus, I don't see a reason why I should pay twice for the same game... Not blaming the guys of GOG but the OS company... But thanks for the hint, was surely worth a try!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Microsoft's "support" of Win XP has nothing to do with getting a virus on the internet.
Granted, there are some security threats that are "fixed" by Windows updates...but getting
your average virus or malware infection has to do with having proper Internet security
in place, and that is a real-time functioning and reliable AntiViru software
and (most recommended) a real-time functioning and reliable anti-malware program.

Use a different browser, like Mozilla, if you are concerned about Internet Explorer (as you should be)
and try accessing your Mail online rather than an installed Mail client.
(However, if you have functioning antivirus software running, then your mail program should be covered too!

I only use Avira free AV software...although the pro upgrade is probably worth it to get live Email protection.
Don't open email attachments unless you know where they came from, and you are quite safe!
And I run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware with online "protection" and "website blocking" active all the time.
I also run Ad Block Plus in my Firefox browser.
This will work and protect Win XP just as good as it does Win 7.
Google Adsense