PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Quote:
your initial post indicates that you didn't like someone's capitalistic ideas
Rubbish, stuff and nonsense, tripe. As is the rest of your pseudo apology. That post only showed concern at the cost. No greater meaning could rationally be derived from it. It's a cost which incidentally would be exorbitant under any political or financial system. No I haven't trialed it. No need, adequate photogrammetric software requires much greater flexibility in initial input.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
interested wannabe designer

i dont know..., i was looking at this thread with interest from a wannabe designer's standpoint and see if it could help me to do what i wanted to do, unfortunately it got sidetracked right away into something that absolutely does not belong in this thread, there are better ways to discuss that topic elsewhere

now please leave this discussion to what it should be - about the plugin and it's capabilities

in the tutorials they construct buildings, what else can it do?
i want to do a late 50's model car, can it do that

as suggestions ratewise i would go along with the $30-50 suggestion even with some feature left out
heck i would even propose a free variant if i only knew what i could leave out in the different versions
i will download the demo and try to figure out what i can do
Old 10-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Please Pass . . . ,

Ryan,

The plugin isn't that valuable (my opinion of course). It requires a great deal of input work from the user for mediocre results.

There's a user on Kartonbau which has been doing this sort of thing for 2D photographic to 3D architecture models for awhile now. I don't remember his name but will research it if you think it might help.

As regards those who think this site is a soapbox for their political views I suggest that you add names to your ignore list. It works as intended . . . , I think an ignore score for each member might be interesting . . . , That way there would be no need for banning anyone from the sight. They'd just be voted off by consensus. Just their sort of thing . . . , Probably upped my score by two with this post!

+Gil
Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
And now for something completely different (the topic at hand):D:

Pricing

Keep in mind this software is obviously targeted mainly at the professional user (architectual design, etc.) and not your average hobbyist. As far as it being a viable product, the market will decide...

Terry
Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 PM

If I had time to try designing, I'd be interested at $50 - $100 for hobbyist use. Even if I only used it to put buildings onto Google maps, it would be worth $50 for entertainment value alone.

Honestly, I wish some of the various software programs out there did have hobbyist licences. $350 for this or $995 for Rhino are a bit steep for the casual evening user who will obviously never make a living off of it.

But, unfortunately I don't even have time for modeling at the moment. Much less, learning how to design.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Alternatives?

Someone has mentioned an open source alternative. This gave me an idea: Within the scope of the forum is there (or should we initiate?) a listing or resource that offers an overview of the different designing tools (again, within the context of designing paper models), some user opinions and costs (if any.) I had been advised to try 3D Blender, which is apparently an open source tool. Although I've not checked, it appears Sketchup is another of Google's attempts to provide functionality via the Web (obviously an extension of this 'model' is to then offer 'better' or improved versions as a commercial, aka 'pay-to-play' upgrade - once folks are hooked!)

Since I am *very* interested in learning how to design PM's, it would be *very* helpful to have some folks offer up recommendations, re: what tools they use, how good, how much dinero involved, etc. so beginning designers such as myself aren't re-inventing the wheel.

That, after all, is at the root of this thread. So, what do you think 'fellas' (non-gender specific usage)?
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
rbeach84 has a interesting idea. I've looked at a few of the 3d programs, but right now don't have the time or interest to get involved into the learning curve. Once I maybe get better at building and get more time (retire) I might take a more serious look. What little I do now I'm comfortable with using the traditional tools (drafting) that I'm familiar with.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
rbeach84 has a interesting idea. I've looked at a few of the 3d programs, but right now don't have the time or interest to get involved into the learning curve. Once I maybe get better at building and get more time (retire) I might take a more serious look. What little I do now I'm comfortable with using the traditional tools (drafting) that I'm familiar with.
As a long time AutoCAD user, I'm pretty comfortable with 2D drafting processes, but some of the results possible with these 'unfolders' is beyond what I can generate just by drawing (unless it is basic shapes easily 'flattened' manually.) Plus, a more automated process would allow me to do interations more easily and rapidly. So, I'm off hunting wabbits!:D
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 06-24-2010, 03:56 PM

I looked at this plug-in a while back but didn't get as far as to where the price for the plug-in was discussed .. I think it was more of a YouTube video if I remember right.

My question at the time was whether it was that much better then Sketchup's Photomatch that's built in to the program.

Seems to me that someone spent a lot of time writing the programming. If it works and is useful then each one of us had to determine whether it is worth the cost asked for it.

I can see that there are those here who would have little use for this program and paying for it wouldn't be sensible.

There are others though. This plug-in .. *apperars* .. from watching the video to be very useful for those of us that are model railroaders since one of the sub-hobbies is creating a scaled model from photographs.

I had forgotten about this .. and am watching the video again. I'll base my decision on pursuing the plug-in further based on this. So far .. it looks promising. I really don't see myself purchasing the program .. the $50 fee is a one year academic license .. while the commercial licence is $350 .. WOW!! Now .. if I win the Lottery .....
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
I love the idea Robert of having some recommendations. We get glimpses of what people are using but only in the odd thread or two and generally just people telling us what they are using. I would love a head to head thread and see what's good and bad about all the applications that are out there. Free and PayWare.

Cheers.

Jim
Google Adsense