PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post
Windows 10 runs wonderfully on recent machines.
It can work wonderfully and usually does when you first install it. But for most the issue begins after the substantial updates start. Creator's pack was the first large update to clue me into this, especially on proprietary machines such as HP and Emachines. Me personally, I run an ASUS Core i7 custom built with 16gb of ram, a 2 Tb drive with an Nvidia GTX 760 192 bit video card. But the OS installed on a separate partition still wiped out what little documents, photos, etc that I had on it.

We have upwards of ten machines running here at a time and at least half of them slowed down so immensely after that update to the point that it wasn't even worth running and most of those were newer machines with a minimum of 8GB of DDR3 Ram. So I think one could argue that Windows 10 running wonderfully on recent machines can be a generalized statement and one that doesn't always apply to every situation.

The next was the April 2010 update that disabled Google Chrome and Cortana on about half the same machines. So this news from howtogeek.com that Microsoft has supposedly pulled the update to mull over the issues many are having doesn't surprise me at all. Once I heard about the warnings on some machine stating that Microsoft Edge – the safer, faster browser for Windows 10 would be the main web browsing tool and would seemingly hamper the installation all others according to a prompt that appears when one tries to run the Chrome or Firefox installers on the latest update, I disabled all 10 updates on my machines still running it. So the lesson here as has always been the case with Microsoft, is what works well for others doesn't always apply to a larger proprietary group of machines as one might see in an office environment.

In any case, I'll stick with my Windows 8.1 which is still installed on some 41 million computers worldwide by the way and according to Forbes(Jan 2016), some 55.68% of all computers still run Windows 7 despite some bizarre Microsoft scare tactics. And yes, I still run a Windows XP machine as well. Have had it running since right after Microsoft abandoned it and it runs flawlessly just like it did when they released that OS, which is more than I can say for my experience with 10...

Last edited by Gman93643; 10-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Basic troglodyte comments here. You computer guys always get off on these trips about systems you have/had etc. I just want a system that does what I want to do with it and that's it. I don't have to know how my refrigerator works: just that the regular sections stays cool and keeps food and that the freezer keeps ice cream and ice cubes. And have no need to have to do add-ons every 6 months or buy an upgraded one every couple of years. As I used to say when I was still doing graphics and pre-press that a computer was just an expensive X-Acto knife as far as I was concerned.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Basic troglodyte comments here. You computer guys always get off on these trips about systems you have/had etc...
LOL, yeah we do whulsey.

Our systems are pretty much our sports cars and we are always compulsively tinkering, customizing or replacing components just to optimize them even more. My wife claims that I'll purposely crash one of the systems around the house just so I have something to to work on. As she so eloquently puts it, I'm not happy unless I'm knee deep inside of a computer case or installing dual boot setup on another just for the hell of it. Her end of the closet is crammed to the hilt with shoes and clothes while mine is crammed to the hilt with computer towers and monitors...
Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Gman, wasn't really criticizing you folks. Just trying to point out that there are many of us who have no interest in computers and operating systems except that they do the job we want. So lots of times when we have a problem or trying to figure out something it goes off on some esoteric flight were us trogs are sitting there going what the _ are they talking about and how does it help me out of my problem. And yes get me off talking about vintage cars and engine designs, I get a lot of the eye rolling also.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:46 AM

I didn't take it that way whulsey, not in the least bit.

I'm used to the whole OS & updates discussion since I've been in the game since before the Y2k scare. My first job right out of school was writing batch files for a vocational school to take out student's computers so they could learn how to undo what the 300 line file had done to their freshly installed Windows 95 systems. Absolute fun that was...
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I've been seeing articles online that Microsoft has cancelled the big October update until they can figure out why it's only erasing a few hard drives.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:47 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I just generally keep my fingers crossed.

I don't have the time or inclination any more to try and fix things!
Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I've been seeing articles online that Microsoft has cancelled the big October update until they can figure out why it's only erasing a few hard drives.
Yup they have. Here's one of those articles that I mentioned earlier in the thread:

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/micros...ting-files/://

The official company statement says, “We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating” Microsoft in a statement on its Windows 10 support site.

I have my doubts its as isolated as they claim. Microsoft isn't known for flinching this quickly into a big update. It took them significantly longer to address many issues after the Creator's Pack update.

At least two small businesses that I have consulted with in the past in our community have been especially hard hit by this issue and have suffered some data loss. Their initial conversations with the tech giant regarding the disposition of said data has been less than promising thus far...
Old 10-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I guess I've been lucky with only one of four computers failing on the 1809 update then. However, that one did successfully update after I changed back to it's original fit hard drive, and I've had no problems with any of them since.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:01 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That reminds me - I need to back up!

Which I do regularly, having learnt the hard way.