PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 11-20-2021, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Blender

Are there any good tutorials for Blender focused specifically on creating buildings to be converted to paper models? I don't need to deal with complex shapes (such as aircraft or characters), I'm just looking for some tips on creating a building with a moderately complex roof profile and wondering what considerations I might need to take into account.

Also what is the process involved in converting a 3D object into a paper model? Is there a built-in function in Blender that handles this? Also what format would the pattern be exported in? Are there settings for modeling scale and print resolution for the finished product?
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2021, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I would have to see the building, but most buildings could be designed using 2D, just take the elevations and the roof lines and go from there. We used to do this in drafting classes a half a century ago and then make models to match our designs. If they don't have complicated curves it should be cinch. I would suggest a vector program.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:43 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Indy - as Burning Bread says it is a cinch in a vector program.

GIMP, PSP will even do fine and will let you do the textures or use photo textures.

But to do it successfully I think you would need to have a basic idea of how drafting a building plan goes. You would use something like this, with also a view of the roof. Its then easy to break it up in to the model parts that are dimensionally accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Blender-plan.jpg  
Old 11-21-2021, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
The best book about Blender what I know is a Virtual Airplane. This is a complete tutorial about how to operate in Blender. The best book about Blender what I know is a Virtual Airplane. This is a complete tutorial about how to operate in Blender. This is a very big and complicated book, but those who overcome it will be getting joy and pleasure from work with Blender and could be able to do any objects models.
The author of this book is Polish engineer Witold Jaworski.
http://samoloty3d.pl/wm-000_e.xml
I wish you luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Blender-2021-10-15-whatiwilldo-03.jpg  
Old 11-21-2021, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Dane, I have that book and am just about to try to work my way through it. It is very comprehensive and I believe if a person can master it any other blender work would be relatively routine. It is quite well written though it is for an earlier version of blender.
Google Adsense
Old 11-21-2021, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I already created a full (side and top) elevation drawing for the OP of the building with the "complex roof".
But it didn't meet his criteria.
Theres nothing complex about it, as I said, but apparently it didn't fill his needs.

As Burning Beard said, this isn't something that requires complex 3D modeling software,
which is a lot more complex to learn.

Once again, there are no easy solutions to designing paper models
...learning a program like Blender will require time and effort...lots of time and effort.
You must put in time and effort (did I mention that part?)

A quick search reveals thousands of Blender tutorial videos online.
There is an entire community devoted to teaching Blender.
(I know, because I have searched it out many times...
I'm just too lazy and I give up quickly every time I try to learn a new software!)

Understanding vector art and 2D design will help you with learning Blender and 3D design.
These days, everyone seems to want free...so...Inkscape is free.
Coreldraw and Adobe Illustrator are better.

Asking about applying textures is a bit too early in my opinion,
if you don't already know how to build in Blender.
Attached Thumbnails
Blender-indy-airport.jpg  
Old 11-21-2021, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Dane, I have that book and am just about to try to work my way through it. It is very comprehensive and I believe if a person can master it any other blender work would be relatively routine. It is quite well written though it is for an earlier version of blender.

The problem I found with Blender is the amount of versions and each version is substantially different.
Tutorials (and books) done in earlier versions, don't translate well to the current version.
I ran into this problem with tutorial videos.
The instruction was only one version behind and yet, I still had problems correlating.

it might help if you can seek out an older version of Blender, to match the tutorial material,
and then attempt to update your learning to a more current version later on?
Old 11-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
it might help if you can seek out an older version of Blender, to match the tutorial material, and then attempt to update your learning to a more current version later on?
That's a great idea.

I gave up learning Bender it as it seemed too much effort and I just did not have the incentive.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I already created a full (side and top) elevation drawing for the OP of the building with the "complex roof".
But it didn't meet his criteria.
Theres nothing complex about it, as I said, but apparently it didn't fill his needs.

As Burning Beard said, this isn't something that requires complex 3D modeling software,
which is a lot more complex to learn.

Once again, there are no easy solutions to designing paper models
...learning a program like Blender will require time and effort...lots of time and effort.
You must put in time and effort (did I mention that part?)

A quick search reveals thousands of Blender tutorial videos online.
There is an entire community devoted to teaching Blender.
(I know, because I have searched it out many times...
I'm just too lazy and I give up quickly every time I try to learn a new software!)

Understanding vector art and 2D design will help you with learning Blender and 3D design.
These days, everyone seems to want free...so...Inkscape is free.
Coreldraw and Adobe Illustrator are better.

Asking about applying textures is a bit too early in my opinion,
if you don't already know how to build in Blender.
Wow. I never said anything about your drawing "not meeting my needs".

What I said was that you captured the look perfectly! But I still need to translate this into a paper model, which this elevation drawing does not do. I figured I was going to have to recreate it myself in Blender then export an unwrapped UV plot to get the shapes needed for paper modeling.

All of the materials I've found on Blender so far seem to focus on characters and animation and cameras and lighting and shading, none of which is applicable to what I'm doing. All I want is to make a basic building shape to a known dimension. But none of the tutorials I've looked at say anything about dimensions at all, whatsoever... it's all strictly eyeballing. What I want to know is... how do I guarantee that the model I create in Blender will be the correct size when exported and printed? I can find no information on that whatsoever, anywhere so I was hoping that someone here might be able to provide some real-world instructions and advice.

Can I just work up some 2D schematics of all of the parts of my terminal and have you or someone else on here convert them to paper model templates for me? Please be patient, I am still in the process of gathering reference materials and will then need time to create the rough drawings.

I already have Inkscape. In fact, I already used it to lay out all of my ground features, including exact FAA-standard pavement markings. Even a vehicle road which makes a sweeping curve onto the ramp area, and has black and white "zipper" edge markings all the way across the ramp and makes a couple of reverse curves to go around the end of Concourse A, all the while maintaining the correct dimensions for the center and edge markings.

How would I go about recreating Concourse B? What primitive would I start with? What transformations would I apply? How would I ensure that all of the roof peaks are identically sized and that all of the edges meet where they need to? And how would I ensure that the whole thing scales out at 150 feet in diameter when finished? In 1:400 scale it should be precisely 4.5 inches across after printing, cutting, folding, and assembling.

Last edited by IndyJets; 11-21-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Even GIMP seems to be gearing up for a major release. Hope it does not change too much. Even moving the buttons around makes it difficult to keep up.

Worse is the Cricut paper cutting software, they seem to change a lot, including sometimes the scaling. But that is off topic, sorry.
Google Adsense