PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 02-06-2021, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 338.1 KB
Software for Making Assembly Instructions of 3D Models??

Hi All,

Is there any 3D software which can be used to render out the step by step instructions of an already existing 3d papercraft model?

Basically, I have designed a papercraft and would like to sell it on Etsy, I need to work out an assembly manual for the same with a lot of pictures for the buyer to understand the process clearly.

I can photograph the process while I'm making the model myself, but I would prefer to have a 3d renders of the process as accurately as possible.

I have attached 2 pages(assembly instructions) from the amazing Keisuke Saka's paper automata which closely represents to what I'm referring to.
You can check out the automata by yourself here.

summing up, is there any software or a way, through which I can fold up my pepakura templates digitally with flaps and all and make a 3d model out of it. (reversing the process )

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Yogesh

Last edited by rickstef; 02-06-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2021, 01:15 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
You will need to attach your photographs to your post, you can't link them yet.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-06-2021, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
I did this "reverse process" in Sketchup (but any 3d and CAD software will do), but not for whole model only on few parts of it.

You have to trace every part with the curve to "cut it out" and then manualy positin each part fo form the object. For bigger model it will be not fast. If you do not have any experience with 3d softwares there is some learning curve.

How did you design your papercraft? In 2d or 3d?

Extensions for X-wing
Old 02-06-2021, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Not sure what mean with existing 3D paper model. Do you mean to create instructions from a 3D mesh file or from a built physical paper model?

With a physical model you would need to take pictures with each step you want to illustrate and then somehow recreate that in the computer (like Petr said with tracing for example). But if you have the steps in pictures, I would just take these.

If you have a 3D mesh you will need skills to take the finished geometry apart in your 3D app and then position the parts for each build step and render them.

If you can draw nice you could just make sketches for each step and take pics of that.

I am afraid it involves quite some work. For this reason I am doing all my instructions with pictures of the physical build.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 338.1 KB
Quote:
You will need to attach your photographs to your post, you can't link them yet.
I have attached the images below of Keisuke Saka's instructions, which represents closely to what I'm looking out for.

Quote:
I did this "reverse process" in Sketchup (but any 3d and CAD software will do), but not for whole model only on few parts of it.

You have to trace every part with the curve to "cut it out" and then manualy positin each part fo form the object. For bigger model it will be not fast. If you do not have any experience with 3d softwares there is some learning curve.

How did you design your papercraft? In 2d or 3d?
I'm current using sketchup to make my models(image attached below)
When it comes to sketchup its really easy and fast to make the models but very hard to restructure the template files (exported through pepakura) back into its 3d form.

I need a way or a 3d software which can get these templates back and I can digitally/manually fold them into their end result. The same as I would do in a physical space.

Quote:
Do you mean to create instructions from a 3D mesh file or from a built physical paper model?
Its a 3d model designed in sketchup.

Quote:
If you have a 3D mesh you will need skills to take the finished geometry apart in your 3D app and then position the parts for each build step and render them.
My 3d skills are pretty limited right now, but I'm open to go through a learning process if I can get the desired results. The advantage for me is that my models will be having a limited number of flaps.

Thank you all for reverting!
Attached Thumbnails
Software for Making Assembly Instructions of 3D Models??-k1.jpg   Software for Making Assembly Instructions of 3D Models??-k2.jpg   Software for Making Assembly Instructions of 3D Models??-my-3d-model-sketchup.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2021, 02:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I am afraid I don't know Pepakura (have heard of it of course). I use Blender because I have known it for years and working with paper-models-add-on for unfolding is so easy now.

I have worked with Sketchup for a while and I believe it's a very good app with a great intuitive approach on designing stuff in 3D. If what you are getting from Pepakura back into Sketchup are the actual parts as objects, I think it should be doable to "bend" them where you want across score lines. But it's a step you have to do manually. The only challenge I see is when you have a build step to illustrate where a section is assembled already, you will probably need to delete the glue tabs there, as they might result in rendering artifacts when being in the same place as the area that is glued to them.

Good luck and I look forward to see your results!
Old 02-07-2021, 04:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
If you have 3d model than you do not need to do revers proces it from template.

In sketchup just delete or hide parts and faces to represent building step, model flaps where visible, export as the pixel/vector image. In image/vector editor of choice (gimp/inkscape for example) add arrows and texts. Repeat this for every building step.

Sketchup is fuly capable of that. I do not know any shortcut to do that proces.
Maybe tere is a plugin for Sketchup to help you with that but I do not know of any.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 02-07-2021, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Pepakura can export an obj of the textured model, but not with flaps. If you have the latest version, or past ver3 I think, you can actually scrub through an animation of the model being unfolded with flaps and do screen grabs. I have done that myself in the past.
You can import the obj into blender and do renders of it from there, possibly deleting unwanted faces to show construction.
Honestly, I think it would be easier to take assembly photos. Use cardboard and pins to hold open faces and flaps if you need to.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
I agree with bigpetr. I sometimes do it that way if I need quick results and for test builds if there is no physical model yet that could be photographed. I once tried to fold unfold faces back into teir 3D shape but that attempt failed miserably because it took too much time and the parts did not align properly (rotating them along the three different axles is a pita).
Old 05-03-2021, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 227.59 MB
Depending on your skill level in Blender, and your style of work flow. You could use a rough version of the video timeline in Blender. Almost like a movie of the build. Then screen shot each build frame. I'm still struggling with the Blender learning curve myself, but this is what I'm considering. I come from an AUTOCAD and Photoshop background.

"Art is whatever you can get away with." Andy Warhol
Google Adsense

Tags
assembly, design, instruction, software