PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 05-20-2021, 08:01 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Current go to software for designing kits?

So I have been out of this for a bit. What is everyone using nowadays for designing in 3d and unfolding? I saw someone posted about blender for artists which I just downloaded

One thing that has always stymied me is actually coloring the model with a livery or whatnot. Can you do it on the 3d model or have to unfold it first? Are there any tutorials out there that kind of encompass the process?
Thanks!
Chris
Old 05-20-2021, 08:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
So I have been out of this for a bit. What is everyone using nowadays for designing in 3d and unfolding? I saw someone posted about blender for artists which I just downloaded

One thing that has always stymied me is actually coloring the model with a livery or whatnot. Can you do it on the 3d model or have to unfold it first? Are there any tutorials out there that kind of encompass the process?
Thanks!
Chris
Hi Chris,

It has been awhile.

Several years ago someone here did an ebook on blender designing.

Here is the link: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/s...archid=4469654

Here is another link with more info about unfolding-blender objects: Blender Program

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 05-20-2021 at 08:17 PM. Reason: 2nd link with more info to read
Old 05-20-2021, 08:43 PM
Design Admin

Wow - that is an amazing e-book! I will have to spend some time (or a lot) perusing that. based off what I am seeing you cannot really color the kits prior to unfolding. So they must get unfolded (I havent figured if that can be accomplished in blender for artists yet) then colored in gimp or inkscape. I am pretty decent with gimp. but havent touched inkscape in years. 10 maybe heh.

That leads me back to one of my great conundrums.... if a kit is already unfolded how the heck do you apply colors consistently across the parts. Even if its a fan out (think like an engine cowl for a WWI biplane) if you want a design on there it could have many pieces that have to line up perfectly.

Thanks man and happy birthday!
Old 05-20-2021, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
Wow - that is an amazing e-book! I will have to spend some time (or a lot) perusing that. based off what I am seeing you cannot really color the kits prior to unfolding. So they must get unfolded (I havent figured if that can be accomplished in blender for artists yet) then colored in gimp or inkscape. I am pretty decent with gimp. but havent touched inkscape in years. 10 maybe heh.
Like many free/open/libre software, Blender is evolving at a tremendous pace. Although the mentioned ebook is clearly the result of a lot of effort, very useful and especially interesting for integrating a lot of otherwise disjointed information, it's already obsolete in some regards. I recommend you check blender.org - Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software for features of recent versions. In particular, I think tools for directly painting on the 3D model without UV unwrapping are available.

BTW Inkscape has also progressed a lot. The jump from 0.48 to 0.92 versions increased speed, reliability and fidelity by light-years. I didn't notice much progress in features from 0.92 to current 1.0.2, but it's still a joy to use (no, unfortunately I don't think the ability to snap-join edges by rotating on a common vertex is implemented yet).
Old 05-20-2021, 11:35 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Gimp should do you fine for colouring in.

If you have not really coloured in before, send me a PM when you start and I can give you a few working tips that will help you.

"if a kit is already unfolded how the heck do you apply colors consistently across the parts. Even if its a fan out (think like an engine cowl for a WWI biplane) if you want a design on there it could have many pieces that have to line up perfectly."

Buildings and armour are easy because of the design and straight lines.

But I do not know of a method to do this with any certainty for aircraft and curved objects. So I do my best guess and then print (even if just in B and W), and then partially build (or get someone else to) in an effort to see if the part colouring aligns. Painful!!!! I know a lot of designers do this as well.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has developed an easy method to apply patterns so they line up on curved parts, without the need to build as a check!
Old 05-21-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
In particular, I think tools for directly painting on the 3D model without UV unwrapping are available.
See e.g. what I mean in part 3 of this video tutorial:
Default Cube Owl Tutorial 1/4 | Blocking - YouTube
starting after about 4 minutes.
Some cool features are automatically painting on both sides of the model and automatically smoothing curved strokes.

Current go to software for designing kits?-blendertutorial_owlfromdefaultcube3-4.jpg
Note: yes, it's unwrapped at the leftside view, but I think it's more for easier visualization.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:47 PM
Design Admin

ok - that is quite cool. definitely worth looking into! If you can take a logo and paste it onto a curved fuselage that would be cool! I didnt get to watch each moment but skipped through it - making some dinner
Old 07-15-2021, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Chris,

It has been awhile.

Several years ago someone here did an ebook on blender designing.

Here is the link:

Here is another link with more info about unfolding-blender objects:

Mike
Thank you, Mike
Do models from Blender available now?
Old 11-13-2021, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
Like many free/open/libre software, Blender is evolving at a tremendous pace. Although the mentioned ebook is clearly the result of a lot of effort, very useful and especially interesting for integrating a lot of otherwise disjointed information, it's already obsolete in some regards. I recommend you check blender.org - Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software for features of recent versions. In particular, I think tools for directly painting on the 3D model without UV unwrapping are available.

BTW Inkscape has also progressed a lot. The jump from 0.48 to 0.92 versions increased speed, reliability and fidelity by light-years. I didn't notice much progress in features from 0.92 to current 1.0.2, but it's still a joy to use (no, unfortunately I don't think the ability to snap-join edges by rotating on a common vertex is implemented yet).
Is it possible to apply a photo texture to the model or only to paint solid colors via freehand? I'm looking to make an accurate model of the old passenger terminal at Indianapolis International Airport (supplanted by a brand-new facility in 2008, demolished 2012) and I think a lot of the stuff discussed in this thread will be very helpful. I've already done other 3D modeling (train simulator scenery objects, created in Train Sim Modeler) and 2D graphics in Inkscape.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJets View Post
Is it possible to apply a photo texture to the model ....
Certainly. This is a trivial example from my old map projections site:
Current go to software for designing kits?-imo_conemodelscompared.jpg
(just plain texture mapping, no UV)

Note: because the image intends to illustrate equal-area projections (this is especially noticeable in the tallest cone), parallel spacing is nonuniform, therefore each shape uses a different texture file.
Google Adsense