PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2021, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
New modeler here

I'm looking to build an accurate model of an airport passenger terminal in 1:400 scale. From what I've gathered so far, it seems that most of you tend to design your models in Blender then convert them to 2-D patterns to cut.

I do have a few questions for you...

How do you establish your scales and sizes in Blender? Do you have to convert everything to real units or would I be working in 1:400 scale dimensions (for example I set a dimension as 100 feet and it prints out at 3 inches)?

When converting a model to a paper pattern, how does it handle intersecting shapes? For instance, a dome intersecting with a sawtooth roof profile, as I will be dealing with on Concourse B. Is it able to figure out what's visible from the outside and get rid of the hidden parts or do you have to do that for yourself?

How does texture mapping work in Blender? Or do you just use Blender to establish the shapes then use another program (such as Inkscape) to put the colors on?

How about paper sizes? Are you able to split a model into pieces so that it can fit into a specific paper size?

I do have some familiarity with graphic design as well as 3-D modeling. I have made custom scenery objects for Microsoft Train Simulator, but I used a specialized program called Train Sim Modeler for that.
Google Adsense