PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 02-07-2022, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
pdf to dfx for laser cutting problems

Transfering pdf files to Inkscape to save as dfx files so I can clean up any excess lines in CAD (AutoCAD). All loops turned into regions. But when I open the dfx file in the laser software I keep winding up with extra lines and data in the plot image. When I go back into the dfx file or its dwg in CAD none of the extra data appears when I do a zoom/extents command. Other dfx files I've burned from my own creation do not have this issue. Something buried in the original pdf? Software glitch in the laser software? Laser is a 15 watt diode. But the extra items also appear when I do a dfx to G code and open the g code file in GRBL.
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2022, 01:09 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Maybe extract the pages of the pdf as a graphics format, and then save as a DFX or other cad file format
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-07-2022, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Can you export the file as an eps? This is what I use with the bridging software I use for a plotter to handle cdr (Corel files).
Old 02-07-2022, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
I am on a learning quest to be able to make sense of the library's laser cutter. I am using Inkscape at home, and Adobe Illustrator at the library.

I was astonished to learn that PDF carries vector information, not just bitmap. Not all translation routines can extract it. (explains the ability to zoom in so much without becoming pixilated)

Inkscape will always fill an imported or created bezier that is closed. I must then define the fill color as null, the line color as a solid, and the line (stroke) style as really thin - .001 inch - (or else it gets treated as a bitmap by the laser driver (which is not GRBL).

I would really, really enjoy a subforum on the really interesting discoveries people have on this road.

I hope to settle on a GRBL based cutter of my own, as soon as I know what I am doing and all that.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post
Transfering pdf files to Inkscape to save as dfx files so I can clean up any excess lines in CAD (AutoCAD). All loops turned into regions. But when I open the dfx file in the laser software I keep winding up with extra lines and data in the plot image. When I go back into the dfx file or its dwg in CAD none of the extra data appears when I do a zoom/extents command. Other dfx files I've burned from my own creation do not have this issue. Something buried in the original pdf? Software glitch in the laser software? Laser is a 15 watt diode. But the extra items also appear when I do a dfx to G code and open the g code file in GRBL.
What layers does the .dxf file have? Might be on a layer you can turn off. dxf files use numbers for the layers.

BTW are you talking about dxf files?

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2022, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
What layers does the .dxf file have? Might be on a layer you can turn off. dxf files use numbers for the layers.

BTW are you talking about dxf files?

Mike
I can try that. But even with all of the layers turned on I still can't find the extra junk that adds jows up. It looks like it is from the original pdf given how the line segments look. I'm mainly doing this for cutting out formers. Maybe I'll try just importing the files as an image but there are still all kinds of construction lines present that need to be eliminated.
I can cut the formers by hand but my arthritis bothers me.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
What does Inkscape's own GRBL generator provide? The laser I have access to works like a printer driver so I haven't tried. The printer driver comes with it's own set of challenges.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.31 MB
Have the same issue importing a 2D PDF into MoI3D which becomes a vector outline drawing for eventual export as a 2D DXF. Too many extra lines which come in with the PDF probably because the original drawing was either drawn with too many layers or has blocks created in the original software than converted to PDF. Unfortunately they are all on one layer after importing so it is not a matter of turning off layers. In MoI3D I run a command called RemoveDuplicates or if I take it into AutoCAD I run a command called Overkill. There might be something for similar for Inkscape perhaps.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Maybe extract the pages of the pdf as a graphics format, and then save as a DFX or other cad file format
You're right Mr. Ricksteff PDF is just a cover that has to be removed first. Some Chinese laser cutting machines use SVG (Selectable Vector Graphics). Others use PLT and other extensions. Your laser machine instructions should tell you which one to use.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
Hello, I've just received my lasercutter today, but the last week I have experimented a bit to prepare files for lasercutting.
As said before, PDF can either be vector or bitmap, my first experiments were with Heinkelmodel's Choktaw file in preparation for building.
This PDF is a vector, I opened it in Inkscape, removed the parts that are supposed to be glued on a thinner thickness of cardboard and saved the remaining parts as a SVG file, after that I opened Lightburn and imported the SVG file.
This is the result :

Keep in mind, that this is my very first cut with a machine like this.

The second kind of PDF, the bitmap kind, I opened in Inkscape again and hit Shift+Alt+B to trace the lines, I did this with parts of an old Maly model that I had scanned.
At first you see no difference on your screen, but when you click and drag the image, you will see that there is another copy under it... actually, it is the "original" that is underneath ; you can select and delete that one. The remaining one can now again be exported as an SVG linedrawing and manipulated in Lightburn.