PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-29-2022, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Copyrighted colors?

I just read on Reddit a discussion about some copyrighted colors going behind paywall soon. Did I read that right?
I'm not a professional about it so I didn't quite get was that about. Is this Adobe doing something? How does that affect average PS user (if at all)?

I would really hate to wake up just to find my digital model stash locked behind paywall. This is precisely why I dislike modern cars, miss my old analog subcompacts and I'm not getting rid of 25 y old tube TV or VCR tapes.

(rant off-sorry)
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2022, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Pantone colours are copyright and now they want users to pay $221/month for usage. No one owns software anymore. The sign was on the wall for all users when Adobe bought out Macromedia then moved to a subscription service. Next will be fees for things like brushes, saving to formats and probably some means to force people to save to cloud services.

We now live in a world where businesses are 'nickle and diming users' for everything. Ex vehicle manufacturers charging us to use a vehicle remote starter and heated seats.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Subscription services and copyrighting colours are two different things.
if you don't like subscription software, don't use it.
I own CorelDraw 2018...I don't subscribe to the new version.
Thats not what Butelczynski asked about.

Pantone colours are copyrighted within the Pantone catalog.
You're not supposed to reference the pantone colour, its name and code without permission or fee.

But the colour itself...ie a particular shade of yello, is open to interpretation and in the public realm.
Pantone doesn't own 'colour', and can't copyright colours in general.

Adobe or Corel or any digital company can copyright a colour palette that you use in their software.
A particular collection of colours and shades ready to use within the program...saves you doing the work of building the palette yourself.
I wanted a full 5% shade black palette, (the software comes with a 10% range)
and I probably could have purchased it and started using it quick, but I spent the time and created it myself.

Now, there are some paint companies that have taken to copyrighting certain paint colours, but this is based on the composition, formula and actual contents of the paint.
To duplicate the colour, type of paint and its finish, would require you to copy the build exactly and that is what has been copyrighted.
Old 10-30-2022, 03:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
There are plenty of open-source alternatives to 'greedy' software. Inkscape and Paint.NET can make any colour using hex or RGB values, there is no way things can be copyrighted if it can be shown they existed in the public domain already.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:26 AM

Thanks Dave, that was very informative...
Old 10-30-2022, 06:30 PM

Oops ... put $221/month... I meant $21/month
Old 10-30-2022, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
... can make any colour using hex or RGB values, there is no way things can be copyrighted if it can be shown they existed in the public domain already.
Anyone can do anything with an RGB triplet, but what businesses like Pantone own (and charge for) is something more complicated. The same RGB (or CMY, for the record) may yield different perceptions in your monitor and mine, or my printer and a professional publisher's, unless complicated gamma correction procedures are applied.
However, if instead of RGB you specify a color with a Pantone code (PMS), wherever it's printed by certified equipment and inks you should get the same result. Using PMS also avoids the problem of RGB/CMY values which cannot be reproduced in screens or printers due to physical constraints.
In other other words, systems like PMS buy convenience and uniformity. There's potential for commercial abuse or lockout (e.g., if government requirements use it instead of open systems), but that's not a functional issue.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:01 PM

The problem is that if you open up older PSD's created with pantone colours, you are staring at artwork that is all black. Sure you can recreate a cmyk version of a pantone colour but that is a lot of extra work and then there is the uncomfortable conversation that one will have with your print contractor who will have to require extra documentation to state that colours in your work up are specific pantone colours should they work out specific colour print plates.

Just one more way to wring dollars out of users.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
Anyone can do anything with an RGB triplet, but what businesses like Pantone own (and charge for) is something more complicated. The same RGB (or CMY, for the record) may yield different perceptions in your monitor and mine, or my printer and a professional publisher's, unless complicated gamma correction procedures are applied.
However, if instead of RGB you specify a color with a Pantone code (PMS), wherever it's printed by certified equipment and inks you should get the same result. Using PMS also avoids the problem of RGB/CMY values which cannot be reproduced in screens or printers due to physical constraints.
In other other words, systems like PMS buy convenience and uniformity. There's potential for commercial abuse or lockout (e.g., if government requirements use it instead of open systems), but that's not a functional issue.

Thanks for the informative answer.