PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to jmodule
From Wings3d to Pepakura

I had been thinking about learning a 3D program so I could try to design some paper models that I have not found published anywhere on the web. Wings3d appealed to me since it runs on Linux. After running through some tutorials and tests, I got to a point where I was ready to tackle a simple model. One model on my list of vehicles I can't find in paper is the Universal Carrier. It looked simple enough with it's boxy shape.

The real test came when I exported to Pepakura to try unfolding the shapes. I was amazed that it didn't choke, and actually unfolded my shapes into something recognizable! I did realize that I had to simplify some parts and be careful to not let faces intersect in wrong places. So finally after 4 redraws, I have a model that unfolds into something reasonable.

From Wings3d to Pepakura-uc_design.jpg

Now for some questions. First, how is the best way to represent a part on the model that should be made from a flat piece of paper -- in this model, the rear mud guards. When I "extrude a face" in Wings it creates a shape that Pepakura wants to represent by paper that is folded in half. That's not what I want!

Second, when should I texture the model? I was playing around with UV mapping, but I'm wondering if I should wait until after the model is unfolded before I start texturing.

--
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Good subject, Jim.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Wow, you got pepakura to run on Linux? I had major issues with the UV mapping, and even some of the unfolds, one of the main reasons I switched back to WinDoze.

That said, do you have a screen shot of what you are trying to describe? Pepakura tries to unfold in a manner that allows printing easily, but I find I have to break some compound faces away from the primary model section. I often spend at least a 1/4 of my development time on the unfold layout.

I'm a Blender fan myself, although I'm told the interface causes some people headaches... :D

Tirick
Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirick View Post
Wow, you got pepakura to run on Linux? I had major issues with the UV mapping, and even some of the unfolds, one of the main reasons I switched back to WinDoze.
No, sorry, didn't mean to get any hopes up. :o I loaded Pepakura on a VMWare virtual machine running XP at work. My main workstations are both Linux so I've been doing most of the work in Wings and then copying it over to try unfolding.

Also what you're telling me suggests that I'll need to register my copy of Pepakura so I can save the work I do, rather than expecting it to give me a good unfolded layout on the first try. :(
Old 09-30-2009, 03:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Yeah, a license is preferable. I often do two or more unfolds, the first before UV texturing, to get get a feel for how the model will fit together once complete.
Google Adsense
Old 10-03-2009, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
It's been a long time since I've tinkered with this but...

I suspect the Wings format is the culprit regarding the 'flat' piece. Wings is going to require every part to be a solid piece, not a single surface. However, I'm also assuming that you're exporting to *.obj format or something similar to import into Pepakura. What I would suggest is that before exporting from Wings you assign the 'hole' material to the faces that you do not want included in the Pepakura development. Like the underside of the mud flaps. That way, when exporting from Wings, the 'hole' faces should not be included in the model at all.

Have to admit, I was interested to see if you'd gotten Pepakura to run on Linux, too.

Hope this helps.

--jeff
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugelfang View Post
... exporting to *.obj format or something similar to import into Pepakura. What I would suggest is that before exporting from Wings you assign the 'hole' material to the faces that you do not want included in the Pepakura development.
That's it! Thank you. I had been looking at a tutorial about materials, but it didn't describe the function of the hole, and it hadn't occurred to me what it might do. Pepakura puts a big ugly red line around the edges, but it unfolds perfectly.

re: Pepakura on Linux

I've tried running it under Wine, but get dlb errors (I think) and then the program crashes. So I haven't had any luck with that. The better solution for me has been to load a VMWare XP image and run it there.

--
Jim