PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Stock

Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
FGMM Grumman Goose

Since it was the model that originally led me to Fiddler's Green, starting me on card modeling, and I still haven't built it:o, I will be building the Army Air Corps version of the Grumman Goose. Pictures to follow as soon as I can find that dang USB cable!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
This is a great choice.
Ha Ha. I know what you mean about finding cables. It seems EVERYTHING comes with a cable these days. I have a drawer full and it takes me forever to find the right one. We look forward to your picks...once you find it.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Great Aircraft. Looking forward to your build. I finally gave up on the wing floats:( and cheated and made um from bulsa.:o
Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 AM

Bob - Don't scare me like that! This is by far the most complex model I've started yet, having limited myself to things like cubs, fly babys, and racers so far. Nothing like a contest to "push the envelope!"
Old 03-14-2010, 07:10 AM

Not to fear You can handle it:D I just get in a hurry sometimes. I'm a tinkerer, don't think I've built many I haven't changed something.
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM

Finally, a beginning!

The first hurdle for me was just getting the model printed out. Never had this problem before, but Acrobat and my printer were just not playing well together. The only way to print this one out without cutting off pieces of the model was to select "fit to page," but each page reduced by a different amount, trying to reduce it manually still resulted in cut off peices for some reason. After fighting for almost an hour I remembered... "Hey, I've got GIMP!!" Give the files to the GIMP, press print, voila... printed model.

FGMM Grumman Goose-goose_plans1.jpg

After a hairy day at the campground yesterday with NO chance of working on the model (Spring break here ) got the chance to do a little modeling tonight and made a start on the fuselage. Used regular colored pencils to clean up the white edges, really gotta get some of the softer watercolor pencils, or maybe steal some of the missus's pastels. (Anybody ever tried pastels for this purpose?)

FGMM Grumman Goose-goose_fuselage2.jpg FGMM Grumman Goose-goose_fuselage3.jpg
Old 03-17-2010, 08:05 AM

Lookin good my man:D Keep up the great work Camping to cold here for camping here:( I gave up using color pencils, I pretty much use black
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Coming along nicely. I butchered the fuselage when I attempted to build this, yours looks fine.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Looking good. I built this one a few months ago. I had a couple problem areas you should watch out for:

• Attaching the top of the fuselage to the window. Its a tight connection to make sure it completely fills the gap.
  • The landing gear as-is seemed a little short and didn't quite reach the ground so the plane sat on one wheel and the bottom of the fuselage. I had to attach the gear to the very top of the wheel rather than the center and it almost reached.
  • The printed directions on the center section of the wing were not completely covered by the fuselage top and stuck out. I needed to edit the graphics and reprint the wing to make it match the fuselage color. May not be an issue here since I was working with the plain white version.
Some pics from my build: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...cardmodels/HD/ (sorry my build thread on Zealot was deleted in last year's scuffle).

Edit: Just looked at the parts for this build and confirmed. Where it says "Fuselage top goes here", the FUS and ERE on either end stuck out further than the fuselage top covers. Might want to edit and reprint or paint it yellow before attaching the wing to the plane. Or maybe build that part upside down so that the fuselage top message is on the underside of the wing. It might just be completely hidden that way - check for it.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds

Last edited by cMags; 03-17-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: More problems and link to pics
Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I haven't tried this one yet, but it's on my list. Unless I see that it's impossible to build! But it looks like you've got it under control and it's progressing well. Looking forward to further reports!
Chris
Google Adsense